New Daytime portable work and nighttime gamestation

Hi

Im currently on the hunt for a new work/gaming laptop, My plan is to use it as a daily driver (This is EU configs only)

Daytime at work so need to be portable and would prefer Touch but aint a demand

After work the plan is to come home to a Razer Core V2 with hopefully an RTX2070/2080/2080ti (Depending on the laptop), An screen, Mouse and Keyboard and a laptop stand will be used.

Have looked at the Razer Stealth with touchscreen and MX150 and also the Blade 15.6 version where im not sure of the specs for EU. Where it seems that only the GTX1060 60hz and the RTX models available with the 144hz screen. But i will try to contact our local razer dealership and try to arrange a 4K RTX2070 (That´s not available in EU)

So my question i want the better complete setup that will last the longest!, The built in GPU isnt important with the eGPU Core V2.

Razer Blade Stealth or Blade 15´6 RTX2070 144hz (If it´s possible i´ll try to get my hand on the 4K RTX2070 even doh it´s maybe not possible) both machines running the Core V2 at home.

is it overkill with the 15´6 blade or to little with the stealth?

///Linkan

(This post may be a little unorganized due to the fact i wrote this in small bits on my breaks)

If you are going to use a EGpu get the Blade stealth unless you really need a dedicated Gpu for work purposes. Theres no point in spending more money than you have to

Do i Recommend Ryzen? Yes. All of the Yes.

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

ASUS Gaming TUF B450 Micro-ATX

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

GTX 1070 Founders Edition

Corsair Crystal 280X

500Gb SanDisk Sata SSD, 1Tb 7200RPM Hdd

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

40 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

but those are huuggge. noone goes to work with basically a mid tower.

also, those are expensive AF, the stock price is with a celeron.

I'm not sure if they are available in the UK.

I'd just get the 144hz blade 15 with a 2070, and no eGPU imo 4k is overrated.

1 minute ago, zombieshy_guy81 said:

If you are going to use a EGpu get the Blade stealth unless you really need a dedicated Gpu for work purposes. Theres no point in spending more money than you have to

The only negative thing i found about the Stealth, only 16gb ram and not upgradeble like the Blade

Just now, Linkan said:

The only negative thing i found about the Stealth, only 16gb ram and not upgradeble like the Blade

Personally, i don't see the need for more than 16gb of ram unless it is needed for certain applications. It's usually just excessive 

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

Corsair Crystal 280X

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

11 minutes ago, zombieshy_guy81 said:

Personally, i don't see the need for more than 16gb of ram unless it is needed for certain applications. It's usually just excessive 

Personally it takes me a few years between my laptops, so want to futureproof it as much as possible :)

8 minutes ago, Linkan said:

Personally it takes me a few years between my laptops, so want to futureproof it as much as possible :)

Is the laptop limited to 16 just because of the amount of slots or is it locked from having that much by razer through the BIOS? Sorry, not super familiar with Razer products ?

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

Corsair Crystal 280X

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

15 minutes ago, zombieshy_guy81 said:

Is the laptop limited to 16 just because of the amount of slots or is it locked from having that much by razer through the BIOS? Sorry, not super familiar with Razer products ?

its soldered.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

its soldered.

16 minutes ago, zombieshy_guy81 said:

Razer Stealth has 16GB soldered, and Blade has 16GB. Think Blade is upgradeble to 32GB

1 minute ago, Linkan said:

Razer Stealth has 16GB soldered, and Blade has 16GB. Think Blade is upgradeble to 32GB

ohhhhh. Well in that case you could try a different Thin and Light like the XPS 13 or you could just buy the Blade, then you could probably skip on the EGpu since the Blade has a dedicated one but you would be sacrificing battery life if you went with the standard Blade

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

Corsair Crystal 280X

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

4 minutes ago, zombieshy_guy81 said:

ohhhhh. Well in that case you could try a different Thin and Light like the XPS 13 or you could just buy the Blade, then you could probably skip on the EGpu since the Blade has a dedicated one but you would be sacrificing battery life if you went with the standard Blade

uh, doesnt nvidia have a thing where if you are doing web browsing, it disables the dGPU, and uses the iGPU? thus, while web browsing, you'd actually might get more time on the blade b/c bigger battery.

39 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

uh, doesnt nvidia have a thing where if you are doing web browsing, it disables the dGPU, and uses the iGPU? thus, while web browsing, you'd actually might get more time on the blade b/c bigger battery.

Optimus is the name and yes. It does not make that big of a difference in real world scenarios. If you choose a model with g sync it will not have optimus.

Personally from the products you are looking at you would be so much happier buying a mid tier desktop and a cheap ultrabook. For what a good dgpu set up costs you could buy a decent desktop setup.

There are very few devices that can adequately cool the current 10 series mobile chips. There have been no leaps in cooling tech, so dont expect mobile 20 series to greatly outperform the 10 series.

6 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

but those are huuggge. noone goes to work with basically a mid tower.

also, those are expensive AF, the stock price is with a celeron.

I'm not sure if they are available in the UK.

I'd just get the 144hz blade 15 with a 2070, and no eGPU imo 4k is overrated.

He never mentioned price

They are fully up-gradable and everything can be shipped with enough money thrown at it.

Face it, you'd be the envy of all your co-workers when you flip out 3 screens and start gaming on that.

(all in good humour, I know it's expensive) 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

NEVER get Razer laptops unless they have improved in QC and support

If you want max portability+battery life outside and only game at one place (indoors), eGPU setup (performance will be limited through TB3)

If you want to game outside without sacrificing too much portability, thin and light (most of them have bad cooling)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 1/14/2019 at 11:10 PM, Radium_Angel said:

He never mentioned price

They are fully up-gradable and everything can be shipped with enough money thrown at it.

Face it, you'd be the envy of all your co-workers when you flip out 3 screens and start gaming on that.

(all in good humour, I know it's expensive) 

The price aint the big deal this time dohg it´s my company that´s going to pay for it, Doh i would call that bohemoth either a laptop nor portable everyday working rig.

On 1/15/2019 at 4:43 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

NEVER get Razer laptops unless they have improved in QC and support

If you want max portability+battery life outside and only game at one place (indoors), eGPU setup (performance will be limited through TB3)

If you want to game outside without sacrificing too much portability, thin and light (most of them have bad cooling)

Im looking around a few manufacturers to find the best match for what i want, and for what´s available in Sweden (Wich is kinda limited)

This wont be an permanent solution in the long run, Doh my plan is to in the near future build an stationary rig wich i then will move the RTX card to and possibly buy another for the eGPU to be portable and in bigger events ill either transfer the GPUs och just take the stationary rig with me.