Contigency Flash Drive?

Chris_R.

Does anyone have any experience with this idea:

I was thinking of adding a flash drive to my backup methods, that if something were to happen to me the flash drive would contain very important instructions and documentation as to how to get data off of the back up drives and or PC's.

I've looked at some flash drives such as the Corsair survivor and a Samsung flash drive, however there are mixed reviews especially with the corsair drive about durability. This flash drive would be in a fire safe with my back-up drives.

Thanks!

Chris R.

4 minutes ago, Chris_R. said:

I've looked at some flash drives such as the Corsair survivor and a Samsung flash drive, however there are mixed reviews especially with the corsair drive about durability. This flash drive would be in a fire safe with my back-up drives.

Instead of trying to find the most durable and reliable flash drive, just buy a couple of cheap ones and have multiple copies. Flash drives are very cheap these days, especially if you only need to store instructions on them and not the actual data you're backing up. This will also give you the benefit of storing in multiple locations if needed ie. Bank safety deposit box.

Though I would ask yourself how important this data is and if anyone would care about it once you're gone.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

11 minutes ago, Chris_R. said:

the flash drive would contain very important instructions and documentation as to how to get data off of the back up drives and or PC's.

are you James Bond or something?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

you should have physical instructions , printed on paper , if you are worried about being gone and needing to convey information.

a flash drive is fine but technically every flash drive is less reliable or may go un noticed vs physical paper stapled to a will for example

Depending on how good you are at scripting you could set it up so it's all automated and have the scripts saved to the USBs so you just plug it in and run the script to do all your restores.