Batch Rename Utilities

I have tried several software like Bulk Rename Utility and Wild Rename Utility, among others. None of the ones I have tried allow to name them using a multiple logical numbered convention. For example, if I have a file named personal.docx and so on, I need them be renamed like personal_edit01_final01.docx etc. etc. None of the software allows me to do that correctly, as none of them (or Windows I should say) consider that you would have more than 11 files (if you count 0 as a first number). By default, the normal (yet erroneous) convention goes like this: 0, 1, 10,11 etc and then 2, 20, 21 etc. Hence my reason for needing 0 first.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

how many you gotta do?

For now, around 60. But it'll grow in the future.

3 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

For now, around 60. But it'll grow in the future.

Couldnt you just write a script?

Just now, Canada EH said:

Couldnt you just write a script?

Considering that I was only an integrator a few years back and not an actual coder, I wouldn't how know to code that without spending an enormous amount of time (which I cannot afford to right now).

2 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

Considering that I was only an integrator a few years back and not an actual coder, I wouldn't how know to code that without spending an enormous amount of time (which I cannot afford to right now).

Yeah programming sucks! There's gotta be something out there.

Directory Opus has great rename with that functionality. Unfortunately - is paid and expensive. But is free for 60 days.

BRU can do that. You just need to add buffering. Two buffering numbers for XX, three for XXX. Though it can only do that in one spot at the time. I can give better info once I get home. I've used it to rename over 100 image files, so that's not issue either.

E: Here's pic as example bru.PNG.d4238a39630dc43a019d077b8a299d91.PNG

Edited by LoGiCalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

20 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Directory Opus has great rename with that functionality. Unfortunately - is paid and expensive. But is free for 60 days.

I happen to actually have that software. Tried it a bit just now, but I do have some trouble understanding how it works in using it to rename the files I would like to. Do you know of any great tutorials for that?

15 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

BRU can do that. You just need to add buffering. Two buffering numbers for XX, three for XXX. Though it can only do that in one spot at the time. I can give better info once I get home. I've used it to rename over 100 image files, so that's not issue either.

E: Here's pic as example bru.PNG.d4238a39630dc43a019d077b8a299d91.PNG

I will take a look at it tomorrow if I fail to use Opus correctly. In any case, I will have to re-download it tomorrow.

In Opus 12 in rename mark "Sequential numbering from" and instead of "1" by "1", change it to "001" by "1" - that makes you two leading zeros.

If you want to add number at the beginning - use Old name "*" and New name "[#] *". [#] shows where number is positioned.

On 1/15/2019 at 2:32 AM, homeap5 said:

In Opus 12 in rename mark "Sequential numbering from" and instead of "1" by "1", change it to "001" by "1" - that makes you two leading zeros.

If you want to add number at the beginning - use Old name "*" and New name "[#] *". [#] shows where number is positioned.

Thanks :) I am hosting my family (and gotta do some prepping). I will definitely take a look at Opus again once we're done hosting. I can't wait to try that out. I will come back and let you know how it went :)

On 1/15/2019 at 2:32 AM, homeap5 said:

So far, I can either do a simple rename (which automatically places two leading zeros plus number), or I can, as you said, do something sequential. This, so far, it only works for the first document, and I only got it working for the last digits and not the other one: personal_edit01_final001.docx

As for the using the wildcard and pound sign, again I only get the first document to do that. The other one won't do anything. And when I pair that with using the sequential method, it will modify the first set of numbers, but not the second set. And, it won't affect the second document.

Every version of Opus has different rename style. I described Opus12 style. In this version you can even write your own vba script for rename. What Opus version do you have?

And please give me examples of filenames and what they suppose to look after rename.

On 1/21/2019 at 2:27 AM, homeap5 said:

Every version of Opus has different rename style. I described Opus12 style. In this version you can even write your own vba script for rename. What Opus version do you have?

And please give me examples of filenames and what they suppose to look after rename.

Version 12.12.  For example, for the before and after:

personal edit 1 - final 1 into personal edit 01 - final 01

personal edit 1 - final 2 into personal edit 01 - final 02

personal edit 2 - final 1 into personal edit 02 - final 01

personal edit 2 - final 2 into personal edit 01 - final 02

And also, if need be:

personal edit 1 - final 1 into document 01 - final 01

Then script or just few renames. You can use section with results (previews) to inject zeros in places you want and Opus will make all job without using regular expressions or script.

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke with the founder, and he told me that the version I have does not have script capability. However, he did demonstrate how to do it without creating scripts. It was, as you said, with a few renames - in a way that I had not anticipated. So all in all, all is good.