dog thread

LukeSavenije

Still can't post pics ?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

11 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I'll wager you were not all that amused, either. Are her eyes ok? They look OK.

A family friend, when I was a kid, referred to skunks as black and white, streamlined fluid drives. I've heard other names for them but Mama told me not to use those words.

Skunks make good pets but I doubt Olivia would agree.

No, we were not amused either, lol. Her eyes are ok. They were a little red at first, but after washing and rinsing her face, she was fine. Skunk-off is a pretty amazing product. 

This isn't the first time we've dealt with skunk spray, so we knew the drill. We used to have 4 chihuahuas and they used to sleep in our bed. One morning my mother in law let them out in the backyard before work. They then came back in the house, ran up stairs, jumped onto the bed and started rolling on the sheets. Then the smell hit us - literally. 2 of them had taken direct hits. If you've ever smelled actual skunk spray up close, you'd know just how bad it is. When you pass a dead skunk on the road and get a strong whiff, that is NOTHING in comparison. It is indescribable. It sticks in your nose, you taste it and it makes your eyes water. Call it nature's mace, lol. Anyways, long story short; the whole house stunk for weeks. Thankfully it was summer and we could leave all the doors and windows open.

Now, we take precautions and are careful to not let them in the house if we suspect they've been sprayed. They get a garden hose wash with skunk-off in the yard first, then it's straight up to the bathtub for a full wash with more skunk-off and shampoo. Just one of the joys of country living. Wasn't the first time and won't be the last. ;)

Skunks do make good pets, sans scent glands. Considering how much Olivia loves our pet rats, I bet she'd actually enjoy a stinkless skunk friend. :) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

No, we were not amused either, lol. Her eyes are ok. They were a little red at first, but after washing and rinsing her face, she was fine. Skunk-off is a pretty amazing product...Skunks do make good pets, sans scent glands. Considering how much Olivia loves our pet rats, I bet she'd actually enjoy a stinkless skunk friend. :) 

I'm glad Olivia is OK.

I've heard that even skunks with the scent glands intact still make good pets. Frankly, if I was also going to have dogs, I wouldn't want to also have a pet skunk, "deodorized" or not, so the pooch wouldn't come to think that all skunks, including wild ones, would make good new playmates.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

4 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Still can't post pics ?

you should be able rn from what i can see

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

16 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

you should be able rn from what i can see

Yep, can now... woohoooo :)

Pic of Dinky and a dog of one of my brothers, called Bella. This is pretty much the first time she got left alone by Dinky, she (dinky) wanted to play all the time and Bella was getting annoyed.

Bella's coming to ours again on Sunday maybe, so hopefully will get better pics then... sorry for the state of my house, Dinky managed to pry one of the hearth tiles off when we first got her... and dismantled some of the rug, LOL... we are going to fix those things, but waiting until she's stopped gnawing on things (hopefully).

1230438259_2019-08-2313_06_09.thumb.jpg.fcb646706fe92b9517195f055f113be6.jpg

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, paddy-stone said:

Yep, can now... woohoooo

yeah... it's something the forum has been haunted with for a couple days now

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

yeah... it's something the forum has been haunted with for a couple days now

Yeah, don't I know it, been a pain in the arse for at least 3-4 days now IIRC, might even be longer.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

Pic of Dinky and a dog of one of my brothers, called Bella. This is pretty much the first time she got left alone by Dinky, she (dinky) wanted to play all the time and Bella was getting annoyed.

Bella's coming to ours again on Sunday maybe, so hopefully will get better pics then... sorry for the state of my house, Dinky managed to pry one of the hearth tiles off when we first got her... and dismantled some of the rug, LOL... we are going to fix those things, but waiting until she's stopped gnawing on things (hopefully).

That belly!!! lol :P

You can stop those behaviours at her age now, if you want to (gnawing, chewing, pulling things apart that ought not to be, ei: rugs and tiles, lol). Here's a super easy and incredibly effective way to stop it: Take a common full-sized towel, roll it up and hold it together with a couple of elastics. When she starts chewing on the rug (or what ever unwanted behaviour), speak (don't yell) "no" in a calm, neutral tone (to mark the bad behaviour), wait 2-3 seconds and then toss the towel at her, firmly. Aim for the head/shoulders. Yes, seriously.

Don't worry, it will not hurt her at all in any way (it's a cotton towel). It will not make her afraid of the towel or of you. What it will do is give actual weight and meaning to the command "no", and it will also teach her there is a real and uncomfortable consequence for that specific behaviour. She will begin to make better choices as a result.

This is how I stopped all bad/unwanted behaviours in the house very quickly (a few times for each behaviour) with our dogs. They've stopped; rushing the door, barking at the door/doorbell, dishwasher diving, and barking at everything on the TV. Now, they sleep through dog's barking on TV and rarely get up when someone comes to the door. Simply saying "no" is often enough with them now, but following through with a 'bonk' from the towel from time to time just keeps that command reinforced. (To be clear, I never say no or bonk without reason, only if and when actually necessary).

At the same time, mark good behaviours and choices with a "yes" in a chipper tone (but not a baby voice) and give a reward.

I'm sure you already know this, but just be careful with pups around older dogs and make sure the pup gives some space for the older dog to get away as needed. ;) If she won't stop, you can absolutely use this bonking protocol with her for pestering. You can also use a stockyard whip and give her a little tap on the rump to make her stop.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

15 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

That belly!!! lol :P

You can stop those behaviours at her age now, if you want to (gnawing, chewing, pulling things apart that ought not to be, ei: rugs and tiles, lol). Here's a super easy and incredibly effective way to stop it: Take a common full-sized towel, roll it up and hold it together with a couple of elastics. When she starts chewing on the rug (or what ever unwanted behaviour), speak (don't yell) "no" in a calm, neutral tone (to mark the bad behaviour), wait 2-3 seconds and then toss the towel at her, firmly. Aim for the head/shoulders. Yes, seriously.

Don't worry, it will not hurt her at all in any way (it's a cotton towel). It will not make her afraid of the towel or of you. What it will do is give actual weight and meaning to the command "no", and it will also teach her there is a real and uncomfortable consequence for that specific behaviour. She will begin to make better choices as a result.

This is how I stopped all bad/unwanted behaviours in the house very quickly (a few times for each behaviour) with our dogs. They've stopped; rushing the door, barking at the door/doorbell, dishwasher diving, and barking at everything on the TV. Now, they sleep through dog's barking on TV and rarely get up when someone comes to the door. Simply saying "no" is often enough with them now, but following through with a 'bonk' from the towel from time to time just keeps that command reinforced. (To be clear, I never say no or bonk without reason, only if and when actually necessary).

At the same time, mark good behaviours and choices with a "yes" in a chipper tone (but not a baby voice) and give a reward.

I'm sure you already know this, but just be careful with pups around older dogs and make sure the pup gives some space for the older dog to get away as needed. ;) If she won't stop, you can absolutely use this bonking protocol with her for pestering. You can also use a stockyard whip and give her a little tap on the rump to make her stop.

A water pistol or similar will also work (I've done that). I have friends that used a supersoaker to train their cats when they were kittens not to climb the curtains (it had better range and the aim was better).They didn't need to get drenched, just a few drops hitting them was enough to get the point across.

The meaning of NO is one of the first things I taught a dog. As you said, it's not necessary to be loud but it has to be stern and convey that you are not happy with the dog's behavior at that moment; it's the tone of voice and your expresion that gets the message across. As long as you establish that you and other family members are higher on the "pecking order" of the "pack", the dog will want to please everyone higher up than the dog.

Curiously, I've found I'm able to get other people's dogs (and even some cats) to respond to NO. Often, when they do not respond to NO, just sharply saying "ank" (that's a bit hard to spell) will get their attention (it also worked on my dogs) and get favorable results. When my friends' kittens would start to climb a curtain, they would ignore NO from me (after all, they weren't my cats) but would suddenly "discover" something else interesting when I made that sound. 

Edited by Lady Fitzgerald
Senioritis induced misspellings

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, might try those, even though we've tried almost everything under the sun already, LOL

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

IMG_20190908_124002.jpg

IMG_20190908_123927.jpg

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Went to a local car show on the weekend. This was Olivia's favourite sighting. :P

IMG_20190907_105224.thumb.jpg.98203e6649dd956d46b0801c9ed0a8fa.jpg

IMG_20190907_105250.thumb.jpg.a0f0d93d4c5fb6fd72115988e4220aff.jpg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

Went to a local car show on the weekend. This was Olivia's favourite sighting. :P

"Can we go for a ride? Pleeeeeeeeeeease?"

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

17 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

"Can we go for a ride? Pleeeeeeeeeeease?"

If it wasn't for the loudness, she would have loved it, no doubt, lol. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

New phone takes so much better pics. Playing some chuck-it with Olivia while Moses hangs out and rests his sore shoulder this evening.

IMG_20190919_183645.thumb.jpg.b77064d8e42a240c88de997c421e8b7a.jpg

IMG_20190919_183622.thumb.jpg.5533adf3d898bd0acd9c987ef4422e2d.jpg

IMG_20190919_183631.thumb.jpg.7eece7c4a9444f59a36d4c82f30ae062.jpg

IMG_20190919_183541.thumb.jpg.487afa941e58fc67e53b4e31f3ae1275.jpg

IMG_20190919_183801.thumb.jpg.1cf03ad7d8e77a73385bca9a4823fc3f.jpg

IMG_20190919_183849.thumb.jpg.f6b954ffb8b5936c4c181e1cc519cfa2.jpg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

10 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

New phone takes so much better pics. Playing some chuck-it with Olivia while Moses hangs out and rests his sore shoulder this evening.

I love those chuckit balls, very robust and pretty bouncy to keep the dog interested... I have 4, 2 squeaky and 2 bouncy.

Took dinky to the common yesterday.. the common is basically like a piece of parkland/scrub that's owned by the village it resides in. They have trails that are good for dogs/horses, and now allow cyclists too, though personally think it's a bit tough for most cyclists as the trails are just gaps in the gorse bushes, made by tractors with cutting equipment, so they're basically rough uneven grass trails.

Anyway, she loved it, we didn't let her off-lead though as she still doesn't recall well at the moment, but is getting better and is more cognizant of what we want from her. I didn't take pics unfortunately, but we will be going back often so I'll take some then.

Funnily enough, I did do a speedtest on my mobile data while I was there though, just to see.... was getting 90Mbit/s when it errored-out as my datacap kicked in... it was still climbing too. That's better than we get on our home line with VDSL2. I would so go for that if our connection was as good, but we only get like 1-2 bars and much lower speed :(

Here's one from a few days back

359041603_2019-09-1711_00_33.thumb.jpg.6c736c99e1a5e9165aae1eeecf1f828f.jpg

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

12 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

IMG_20190919_183849.thumb.jpg.f6b954ffb8b5936c4c181e1cc519cfa2.jpg

*boop*

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

34 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

*boop*

Actually, that should be "beep"

b9dc0414ebdc4765de1b7e8677d463cd--peanut

Jeannie

6 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Actually, that should be "beep"

-snip-

The current slang for poking a dog's nose (or any nose) has become boop. 

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boop

4 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

The current slang for poking a dog's nose (or any nose) has become boop. 

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boop

"Beep" Was first used by Charles Schulz decades ago, probably before you were even born. I have heard numerous people "beep" dogs, or even cats, and still do but I never heard anyone "boop" a dog.

Jeannie

Today, my wife and I received a massive blow to the gut. For over a month now, we've been trying to figure out what's happened with Moses' shoulder and why he hasn't been getting better and is still in pain. Well, today we took him to see a highly renowned surgeon in our area and upon looking at his x-rays, is extremely certain (95%+) he has a very aggressive form of bone cancer. Long story short; we are going to have to put him to sleep within the next week or so.

For now, we are just going to give him as much love and attention as we can and keep him as pain-free as possible. Beyond that, I am without words... He is only 2. ??

His sister, Olivia, will be ok, but we've suspected she has known something's up for a while now.

This is him with my mother-in-law's dog, Gideon, the other night.
IMG_20190918_002413.thumb.jpg.4075e4974dbdfac55688526959f84352.jpg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler