Is this a hard drive problem or something else?

iM8Pizza

Hi there

I'm currently using my laptop as I have plenty of stuff to do outside and not just at home, one thing that I really notice about the laptop that I'm using is that it's painfully slow, as, for example, right now I am printing a document and even as I am typing this there was once where the screen froze for a little while and the continuing again afterwards (after a couple of seconds), there's also this case where I was browsing the web and it just froze for a while before continuing to operate again and this is just from switching tabs, there are many other cases like whilst I was playing a game (I barely could load a Cities Skylines save game that I made in my PC (it's quite big already)) but I suppose from those examples you guys will get the idea already.

So, what are your thoughts? What is actually going wrong with my laptop?
Thank you for reading this far, and have a good day.

Scan for viruses (Malwarebytes/Hitman Pro/Zemana Anti-Malware)

Uninstall unwanted applications/Disable unnecessary services and startup programs

If you still have that problem just get an SSD

Try defragmenting your hard drive.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

Are you running Windows 10? Is disk usage at 100% in task manager? I remember Windows 10 not liking hard drives. Try something like disabling certain things like search: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/100-disk-usage-windows-10-fixed/

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

@Electronics Wizardy i5-6200U, 8Gb of RAM (OEM, didn't bother checking what it is), 500gb of HDD.
@Od1sseas ah yes, I will install ClamAV now I guess, as for unnecessary programs, well, I only have the essential ones (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, VLC, Steam, and I suppose that's about it, and GIMP)
@ImAlsoRan how to do that? I'll check google for that

@tikker no, I'm using Ubuntu 18.10

as for SSD, well, I mainly use this laptop for work-related stuff and they mostly consist of documents which I don't think needs an SSD to runs well, but holy stuff the load even for the documents are so slow.

3 minutes ago, iM8Pizza said:

@Electronics Wizardy i5-6200U, 8Gb of RAM (OEM, didn't bother checking what it is), 500gb of HDD.
@Od1sseas ah yes, I will install ClamAV now I guess, as for unnecessary programs, well, I only have the essential ones (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, VLC, Steam, and I suppose that's about it, and GIMP)

as for SSD, well, I mainly use this laptop for work-related stuff and they mostly consist of documents which I don't think needs an SSD to runs well, but holy stuff the load even for the documents are so slow.

Ah, well than that is out the window. How old is the drive? Never hurts to check its SMART status for impending doom.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Defragging on Linux is really hard, but you might consider increasing your swap.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

2 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

Since your on linux what does htop look like? 

Also look at what the disk usage is like with iostat.

@tikker I bought this laptop about 4 years ago or so in 2015, I'll check the SMART status after typing this

On 1/14/2019 at 1:35 AM, ImAlsoRan said:

Defragging on Linux is really hard, but you might consider increasing your swap.

*the @feature seems to stop working somehow so I'm quoting it instead* increasing my swap? never heard of that before, would you mind telling me about it?

On 1/14/2019 at 2:19 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Since your on linux what does htop look like? 

Also look at what the disk usage is like with iostat.

ah wow, this is the first time I know about such a thing, how should I tell you on how the htop looks like? (I just downloaded it earlier. I also just download dstat earlier (apparently it's a replacement for iostat or something, CMIIW) and I should tell you that I'm also confused with how to see these things, would you mind telling me more about it?

To everyone that is reading this, my laptop seems to be doing well now, it loads web and documents as it should be and I'm thinking maybe this is because I have not used my laptop for a long time? or is it something else? Please do tell me more about it if you know about this kind of thing

Thank you

30 minutes ago, iM8Pizza said:

@tikker I bought this laptop about 4 years ago or so in 2015, I'll check the SMART status after typing this

*the @feature seems to stop working somehow so I'm quoting it instead* increasing my swap? never heard of that before, would you mind telling me about it?

ah wow, this is the first time I know about such a thing, how should I tell you on how the htop looks like? (I just downloaded it earlier. I also just download dstat earlier (apparently it's a replacement for iostat or something, CMIIW) and I should tell you that I'm also confused with how to see these things, would you mind telling me more about it? 

htop and iostat and dstat should tell you what in the system is slowing your down by showing disk usage, ram usage and cpu usage. Use it until it gets slow and then see what the usage is like.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

htop and iostat and dstat should tell you what in the system is slowing your down by showing disk usage, ram usage and cpu usage. Use it until it gets slow and then see what the usage is like.

Ah alright then, I will do so when I notice any slowdowns, thank you.

There may be some possible causes:

The hardware is out of date, the hard drive lacks free space, the computer is running out of memory, or the drive has physical issues such as bad sectors.