HAMR drive estimated power consumption

Go to solution Solved by Sakkura,
34 minutes ago, VictorN2990WX said:

Whoops, i googled and read it wrong. But does this mean that the new drives will only use 0.0019 watts? (if it is linear), which it probably is not)

Well, it's hard to only heat up just that one tiny spot you need, so it might be quite a bit more - just not a thousand times more. And this is just the extra power use, in addition to the power required for just the regular operation of a hard drive. I think the tentative conclusion is that the power consumption of HAMR drives shouldn't be much higher than normal hard drives.

Hello forum. I just saw LTTs video on seagates HAMR drives and i wondered how much power they would consume. I estimated it to around 18 watts (only accounting for the power used to write data, spinning the platter and converting to SATA output not accounted for)

Please find all errors in my little text, beacuse there are probably plenty considering i am a 13 year old with limited knowledge about, well everything

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10kfTHAKuzxyxjsO_nEgWfUdWYER7sIw9BtSwTLb20NI/edit?usp=sharing

It's actually a very interesting topic, but where did you get this part from?

To heat 1 KG of steel to 400 degrees requires 189.8 megajoules of power.

The specific heat capacity of carbon steel is 0.49 kJ/(kg*K), so raising the temperature from eg. 25 degrees C to 400, assuming 100% efficiency, would take 183.75 kJ per kg. Of course the efficiency will not be 100%, but I doubt it will be bad enough to increase the energy requirement by a thousand times.

Also the platters or the magnetic coating are not really steel, but the difference for this purpose isn't all that important.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

It's actually a very interesting topic, but where did you get this part from?

The specific heat capacity of carbon steel is 0.49 kJ/(kg*K), so raising the temperature from eg. 25 degrees C to 400, assuming 100% efficiency, would take 183.75 kJ per kg. Of course the efficiency will not be 100%, but I doubt it will be bad enough to increase the energy requirement by a thousand times.

Also the platters or the magnetic coating are not really steel, but the difference for this purpose isn't all that important.

Whoops, i googled and read it wrong. But does this mean that the new drives will only use 0.0019 watts? (if it is linear), which it probably is not)

Edited by VictorN2990WX
error

34 minutes ago, VictorN2990WX said:

Well, it's hard to only heat up just that one tiny spot you need, so it might be quite a bit more - just not a thousand times more. And this is just the extra power use, in addition to the power required for just the regular operation of a hard drive. I think the tentative conclusion is that the power consumption of HAMR drives shouldn't be much higher than normal hard drives.