Fps is good but it doesn't feel smooth

Hello everyone!

I'm having this issue where playing games doesn't feel as smooth as it should even if I'm having 60+ fps. It feels like 25-30

The only game that seems to not be affected by ths issue is League of Legends (but when playing it I'm always having 100+ fps)
Other games like AC Unity or Wolfenstein the New Colossus seems to be affected by this issue a lot, even if it drops a little bit under 60 (like 55 fps). Thing is the controls are buttery smooth, every click or key movement respond as it should,but the image feels laggy. I even tried Minecraft with shaders to see if is affected since is a java game and yes, it is..even 60 doesn't feel like it. 

I really don't know how to solve this problem, I lower the settings and resolution in all of my games but is still the same..

NOTE: Is not my HDD fault (maybe someone will say that my hdd can't load things fast enough), I've tried putting some of my games to another HDD and even on an SSD but no result.

My specs: 

i5 7400 - 3,5 Ghz

MSI B150 GAMING M3 Motherboard

8GB DDR4 2400 Mhz 

MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB

1Tb HDD WD BLUE

Corsair 600W 80+ Bronze 

12 minutes ago, cRsFisA said:

Hello everyone!

I'm having this issue where playing games doesn't feel as smooth as it should even if I'm having 60+ fps. It feels like 25-30

The only game that seems to not be affected by ths issue is League of Legends (but when playing it I'm always having 100+ fps)
Other games like AC Unity or Wolfenstein the New Colossus seems to be affected by this issue a lot, even if it drops a little bit under 60 (like 55 fps). Thing is the controls are buttery smooth, every click or key movement respond as it should,but the image feels laggy. I even tried Minecraft with shaders to see if is affected since is a java game and yes, it is..even 60 doesn't feel like it. 

I really don't know how to solve this problem, I lower the settings and resolution in all of my games but is still the same..

NOTE: Is not my HDD fault (maybe someone will say that my hdd can't load things fast enough), I've tried putting some of my games to another HDD and even on an SSD but no result.

My specs: 

i5 7400 - 3,5 Ghz

MSI B150 GAMING M3 Motherboard

8GB DDR4 2400 Mhz 

MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB

1Tb HDD WD BLUE

Corsair 600W 80+ Bronze 

what's your monitor?

Rx580 Red Devil

Msi b40 tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

NZXT H500

Arctic Freezer 33 

EVGA supernova 650 watts 80+ gold

3x WD caviar blue 1tb HDD

1x Corsair SSD

What monitor do you have? I feel like this is the area of concern here. You may wish to upgrade your current display to keep up with higher frame rates.

5 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

What monitor do you have? I feel like this is the area of concern here. You may wish to upgrade your current display to keep up with higher frame rates.

6 minutes ago, HK - 47 said:

what's your monitor?

AOC Q3279VWF 

4 minutes ago, cRsFisA said:

AOC Q3279VWF 

That monitor is 75Hz and not 60Hz, if you want it to feel smoother you need to reach 75 fps, or set the monitor to run at 60Hz.

Edited by Nocte

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

2 minutes ago, cRsFisA said:

AOC Q3279VWF 

are you using freesync/ vsync?

Rx580 Red Devil

Msi b40 tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

NZXT H500

Arctic Freezer 33 

EVGA supernova 650 watts 80+ gold

3x WD caviar blue 1tb HDD

1x Corsair SSD

10 minutes ago, Nocte said:

That monitor is 75Hz and not 60Hz, if you want it to feel smoother you need to reach 75 fps, or set the monitor to run at 60Hz.

I am already using 75Hz

11 minutes ago, MrRemnant said:

are you using freesync/ vsync?

Only Freesync, it does help a little bit but is nothing amazing, maybe because I'm on 75 Hz

I'm thinking that my HDMI cable might be broken or something? Or maybe I just need to use a display port?

Just now, cRsFisA said:

Only Freesync, it does help a little bit but is nothing amazing, maybe because I'm on 75 Hz

I'm thinking that my HDMI cable might be broken or something? Or maybe I just need to use a display port?

Try to change it to 60 hz, it  might  help.

1 hour ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Tried it, stil no results. I will try again using display port, if I still don't get a good result then I'll switch to another monitor, see if it helps. 
Thanks anyway for helping!

2 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Here's what I did, I changed the display scailing to "center" and everything is fine now

• 1 month later...

High FPS is not a proper benchmark when it comes to game smoothness.

As an extreme example: in 999 milliseconds, your framerate goes up and down, but in the last 1 milisecond it reaches 60 , it will still show 60 FPS as a final result. It's called micro-stuttering. It's the reason why you feel very smooth when watch 60fps video, but feel laggy when u play game @ 60 fps

In order to check for micro stuttering, u need to check for frametime.

- Install MSI Afterburner

- Select frametime, show as graph

- Play a game and check for the log. If your frametime is low consistently, ur gameplay is smooth.

- If the frametime go up and down like heart rate graph, it's stuttering in game.

image.png.bb8cd1dfc71b273ef627c0581da809b1.png

• 2 years later...
On 1/13/2019 at 9:59 AM, cRsFisA said:

Here's what I did, I changed the display scailing to "center" and everything is fine now

How did you change the scaling to center? Also does 60 FPS run smoothly on Youtube? And do(did) games that ran at 60 FPS feel like 30 fps all the time?