Windows registery, why so complicated???

Edward78

None windows seems to have better system... I mean why not just a system tree with settings & applications then user being the same... I mean I am no expert or near 1 really, but it could be less complex...

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

Pretty much what @Electronics Wizardy said. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

windows registry is not suppose to be handle by non technician. why make it easier?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Registry is database for programs and system. It's made for quick access when program needs data. It's like online forum and MySQL - it's not made for editing directly, even if it's possible. It's not also configuration tool. For config you have control panel.

On 1/13/2019 at 12:18 AM, Edward78 said:

None windows seems to have better system... I mean why not just a system tree with settings & applications then user being the same... I mean I am no expert or near 1 really, but it could be less complex...

I am confused with what you are saying,

Registry is simple:

I don't feel like typing a novel, so I'll stay brief, and let you read more on it, if you are truly interested:

• The registry is a database. Very important that you understand that. Keys, are viewed as"folders" in the registry editor for easier editing.
  • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, contains everything related to file associations that affects all accounts on the system (default icons, which program to open
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER, contains everything that is related to the current user. In there you'll have Windows account settings (keyboard, language, environmental variable, personification, program settings, group policies, account restrictions and file association that affects the account (which overrides the global ones). The location of the registry for each account is located in: C:\Users\<account>\NTUSER.DAT. This file is: HKEY_CURRENT_USER that you see under the registry editor 'regedit" that it loads by default.
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, contains everything that affects system wide configurations. Drivers, drivers configuration, system files registrations, programs settings that affects all users, hardware, and has things like: has a place where Windows writes the current hardware configurations for programs to easily use to make life easier for developers. So for example, you develop a software, for debugging purposes, you have a log system in the case of a crash, and you need to know the CPU model. Well you could spend a very long time, and hire experts to build a system that communicates with the hardware, just to get the CPU model (like what HWMonitor and others does), or you could write this massive code file to interact with WMI in Windows to get that information, or in a "1 liner" just pull the CPU model stored in: "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0"
  • HKEY_USERS. Shortcuts of 2x keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER that are actively loaded in one location.
  • HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG. Shortcut of a key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

And that is pretty much it. There is a learning curve, and you need to know what you are doing, but essentially the registry is not particularly complicated if you understand how Windows works.