Best SSD for a Z97M-PLUS MOBO

MutanGFX

So, I want to buy an M.2 SSD, but I'm completely lost.

Afaik, the M.2 slot in my mobo will only get up to 10Gb/s.

Someone said there's a way to get 20Gb/s using adapters, but I don't know what that means exactly.

I know that there's a way to use the GPU with PCIe 3.0 x8, and then use the rest for a SSD, but I don't know how that works. Also, I searched and it won't affect much on the FPS, but does it make the NVENC worse, for streaming and recording?

14Qa9sh.png

aqecPUp.pngtJJlg69.png

If there's any other info I need to provide to get help, just let me know. Thanks in advance.

id just get a sata ssd personally, you wont notice the speed difference for most uses.

7 minutes ago, MutanGFX said:

but does it make the NVENC worse, for streaming and recording?

wont affect nvence, thats al on gpu connected with cpu pcie lanes, this uses chipset lanes.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

id just get a sata ssd personally, you wont notice the speed difference for most uses.

wont affect nvence, thats al on gpu connected with cpu pcie lanes, this uses chipset lanes.

20Gb/s vs 6Gb/s is a noticeable difference when using torrent and working with databases. So I really want the best I can in the Z97. I just need to know how to do it

1 minute ago, MutanGFX said:

20Gb/s vs 6Gb/s is a noticeable difference when using torrent and working with databases. So I really want the best I can in the Z97. I just need to know how to do it

There is way more than that to ssd performance, and the performance is much smaller in reality, as you need pretty specfic workloads to get thata 20gb/s.

But get a adapter like this https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Express-Adapter-Support-22110/dp/B01GCXCR7W/ref=pd_day0_hl_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01GCXCR7W&pd_rd_r=eb0c3528-16dd-11e9-9fcb-f797e226740e&pd_rd_w=7wYsx&pd_rd_wg=dmTw1&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=D0C2FET7YQYBCEMMS2P9&psc=1&refRID=D0C2FET7YQYBCEMMS2P9

Then put whatever pcie m.2 ssd you want in.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

There is way more than that to ssd performance, and the performance is much smaller in reality, as you need pretty specfic workloads to get thata 20gb/s.

But get a adapter like this https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Express-Adapter-Support-22110/dp/B01GCXCR7W/ref=pd_day0_hl_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01GCXCR7W&pd_rd_r=eb0c3528-16dd-11e9-9fcb-f797e226740e&pd_rd_w=7wYsx&pd_rd_wg=dmTw1&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=D0C2FET7YQYBCEMMS2P9&psc=1&refRID=D0C2FET7YQYBCEMMS2P9

Then put whatever pcie m.2 ssd you want in.

tJJlg69.pngGPU being in number 1, where the adapter would go? And that would be the x8 GPU thing with 20Gb/s SSD?

2 minutes ago, MutanGFX said:

GPU being in number 1, where the adapter would go? And that would be the x8 GPU thing with 20Gb/s SSD?

the ssd would go in the bottom slot.

gpu will still run at 16x

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the ssd would go in the bottom slot.

gpu will still run at 16x

So what is the "running the GPU at x8" solution I saw somewhere in the internet, do you know anything about that?

Just now, MutanGFX said:

So what is the "running the GPU at x8" solution I saw somewhere in the internet, do you know anything about that?

That depends on your board. Your board can't do that.

Some z97 boards will let you split the 16 cpu pcie lanes into 2 x8 slots. This would let the ssd run at the full 40gb/s(the cpu lanes aare pcie gen 3 and the chipset lanes are gen 2 with this platform).

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

That depends on your board. Your board can't do that.

Some z97 boards will let you split the 16 cpu pcie lanes into 2 x8 slots. This would let the ssd run at the full 40gb/s(the cpu lanes aare pcie gen 3 and the chipset lanes are gen 2 with this platform).

Ok, thanks, last question now I guess.
If I was willing to buy a """new""" Z97 board that let me split the lanes, what exactly should I search for to find it?

Just now, MutanGFX said:

Ok, thanks, last question now I guess.
If I was willing to buy a """new""" Z97 board that let me split the lanes, what exactly should I search for to find it?

Find one with sli support, all boards will sli support will let you split the cpu's 16 lanes.

But really Id just upgrade your platform, and the ssd speed difference will be tiny. If you want the fastest storage get a optane drive for the super low latency and high iops at low queue depth.