Is there any kind of computer lemon law?

cadabri

I got the dell XPS 9560 for school just over a year and a half ago, since then this laptop has been absolute hell for me, I don't know if I could even tell you all the horror stories this laptop has put me through, including but not limited to

- The whole thing dying on me on my second day studying abroad, showing absolutely no sign of life (And I am a photography major so that laptop was basically my lifeline besides my actual camera)

-The screen somehow getting completely screwed up upon calibration, it was kind of a mixture of contrast getting cranked up to 11 and just colors being completely wrong, not only making photo editing impossible but the actual usage of the computer, which required reinstalling the os completely to fix

- The laptop dying again at a later point just for no reason

- The thermal framework being screwed up to where the laptop wouldn't thermal throttle, letting the thermals hit 100 degrees the laptop would just shut down. Multiple calls to dell didn't fix it, and it took me looking DEEP into the dell forums to learn that I had to downgrade one specific thermal driver. This effectively made using premiere, or pretty much any game on the computer useless for a month or so 

- The latest thing which is sparking me posting this, the entire OS ssd (Which on this laptop is the only drive) dying on me with no sign, making me lose any school work and everything that was on that laptop, and of course they won't run recovery, and estimates to recover it run from 200 to 5000, so its practically not worth it

On top of this, yall just had a small taste of how absolute shit the Dell customer support is with the latest secret shopper series - trust me, I've had even worst from them every time I've had to call them. So at this point I just want to know, is there any legal action or something to get a replacement, upgrade, or full refund to be able to just purchase a properly working laptop? Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Orbity said:

Just drop kick it off a building, that should fix it.

I mean Ive been tempted but that wouldn't help me get a better computer

4 minutes ago, cadabri said:

I mean Ive been tempted but that wouldn't help me get a better computer

Look for warrantys on their website, the packaging if you still have it, and if theres a sticker on the problem it might have warranty information. If not I would just throw it away and get a new PC or a laptop.

1 minute ago, Orbity said:

Look for warrantys on their website, the packaging if you still have it, and if theres a sticker on the problem it might have warranty information. If not I would just throw it away and get a new PC or a laptop.

I already have their premium warranty, they fixed all these problems but they keep happening. Dunno bout you but I don't have ~2500 dollars to just throw away again. I already did on this laptop. And I already have a desktop. 

Just now, cadabri said:

I already have their premium warranty, they fixed all these problems but they keep happening. Dunno bout you but I don't have ~2500 dollars to just throw away again. I already did on this laptop. And I already have a desktop. 

I suggest just getting a cheap $500-$1k laptop, you could sell your current one to help pay for it

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

3 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

I suggest just getting a cheap $500-$1k laptop, you could sell your current one to help pay for it

Like I said though I am a photo student, I use it for 4k video editing workflows in Premiere, Lightroom, Photoshop in class and in the field, and I game on it when I am away from my desktop. I don't just want to throw away over a thousand dollars on flipping a laptop.

1 minute ago, cadabri said:

Like I said though I am a photo student, I use it for 4k video editing workflows in Premiere, Lightroom, Photoshop, and I game on it when I am away from my desktop. I don't just want to throw away over a thousand dollars on flipping a laptop.

If it’s not working, is there really any other choice? I mean, you could Remote Desktop? 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

2 minutes ago, cadabri said:

Like I said though I am a photo student, I use it for 4k video editing workflows in Premiere, Lightroom, Photoshop in class and in the field, and I game on it when I am away from my desktop. I don't just want to throw away over a thousand dollars on flipping a laptop.

Do they just replace it or do they do refunds to?

Just now, iLostMyXbox21 said:

If it’s not working, is there really any other choice? I mean, you could Remote Desktop? 

I mean yeah, there is a choice to not waste thousands of dollars lol, ive looked some stuff up and there are some cases of lemon laws for bad computers so I wanted to see if anyone on here has experience on that and knows how to go through with it, not just suggesting to throw my one away with no compensation 

5 hours ago, cadabri said:

snip

Unfortunately XPS line (especially 15 inch) is known for many QC issues. Guess you have a bad luck

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

5 hours ago, cadabri said:

I mean yeah, there is a choice to not waste thousands of dollars lol, ive looked some stuff up and there are some cases of lemon laws for bad computers so I wanted to see if anyone on here has experience on that and knows how to go through with it, not just suggesting to throw my one away with no compensation 

Not really. I have had about the same experience with msi. Either keep exchanging it, or sell it and buy another model.