Why new member allowed to create a thread?

Hiya!
3 hours ago, Hiya! said:

Why LTT allow new member with 0 post to create a thread? most of them (at least from my own experience) just came and go.

They ask one or two question and then they will never be seen again.

Because here every member is supposed to be equal no matter who they are, where they are or how many posts they have ?.

Would be a shame if a new member wanted to share something awesome and couldn't, or could answer someone's problem but was turned away from using the forum due to account restrictions.

3 hours ago, Hiya! said:

Why? i mean does their account just going to waste space on the server to store their ID? or to prevent new member posting random comment so they can create a thread?

Account storage is extremely minimal, same goes for posts. Biggest storage usages come from things like images uploaded rather than linked from an image hosting website.

I would guess that a large majority, and certainly a significant portion, of active members initially signed up to ask a question, but then decided to stay on as members of the community. Preventing members from creating topics unless they have created another post would have two effects: the rate at which members sign up would be decimated, and the number of low quality posts just to reach that one post threshold would increase.

There is nothing wrong with users coming across the LTT forum on Google, and deciding to ask their troubleshooting question here. Would I like it if they decided to stay and become part of the community? Yes. But is it a problem if they just get an answer to their question, then never come back? No, I don't see why it should be. We aren't an exclusive club, and there is no difference between helping someone who chooses to identify with Linus Tech Tips, and any other member of the wider tech community who chooses to ask a question.

I do get that it is frustrating when someone asks a question, then never comes back to answer your clarifying questions, or read your answers, but this is not the solution. The actual solution, I believe, is a technical one - by default, notifications aren't sent by email, so users forget that they had asked their question here, or don't realise that they need to come back to see the responses. Enabling email notifications by default for new replies is not a feasible solution for a variety of reasons, but I have been wanting to address this in some way for a while, and hope to actually do so at some point in the next couple of release cycles, if I get a chance and am able to do so.

HTTP/2 203

I think people should be allowed to do whatever, no matter their post count (excluding classifieds, that's a pretty internet-wide rule). That is... as long as they read the stickies. If I had a dollar for every troubleshooting post that could be answered by reading the "READ ME" sticky, I could be an employee of LMG without LMG even knowing I'm an employee.

And the search feature. The amount of people asking for a 1440p 144Hz monitor... Come on guys, just buy the one with good reviews. No, the PG279Q and XG271HU are not different. Just buy one.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

This forum needs an r/unpopularopinions sub. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

7 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

-snip-

What about a temporary account?

If i recall it correctly..LTT has that feature back then.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

8 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

as long as they read the stickies.

We be great if people were forced to read the stickies, and there was a timer on each one that lasted long enough to actually read it. Back when I modded GTA:O (i was a nice man, i gave out candy) the good mod menue sites did exactly this.

13 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

We be great if people were forced to read the stickies, and there was a timer on each one that lasted long enough to actually read it. Back when I modded GTA:O (i was a nice man, i gave out candy) the good mod menue sites did exactly this.

I personally would find this very unappealing as a newbie.

Some forums already have a little tutorial you have to go through but, in my opinion, it takes way too long and this, especially with a timer, could turn people off from the forum.

Maybe just a nice pop-up message after registering to remind them to read the stickies and use the search function before posting would be enough.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

10 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Enabling email notifications by default for new replies is not a feasible solution for a variety of reasons, but I have been wanting to address this in some way for a while, and hope to actually do so at some point in the next couple of release cycles, if I get a chance and am able to do so. 

Perhaps the solution could be to enable default email notifications for a limited time after becoming a new member. After some condition is met, they could be presented with a page allowing them to choose the default option.

So, instead of the new topic lockout, it could be a notification options switch lockout. It would have to be long enough to be useful for their first post, but short enough so as not to become spam-like if the new user doesn't actually prefer that method or chooses to not stay on the forum. Do you have any statistics on new user use patterns? As in: Do we know if there is some post threshold that can indicate whether or not a new user is likely to become a a regularly returning user? And, if so, could we bundle up the option I described into some kind of new user welcoming and forum acclimation package? Many sites have "tutorials" that show new members how to use common features. This would also be a good opportunity to show things like the search function, quoting replies, and selecting "best answer" replies in help threads, but it would have to be done with restraint and tact, so as not to become obtrusive.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

These kind of sentiments are what turned Stackoverflow from a place where new users could get answers to a place where new users get their questions closed and deleted. I feel this has a lot to do with people misunderstanding some website they are invested in with time to be their home, that needs cleaning. I don't think that's a healthy relationship with websites to have. My take is that a Forum is an open place to exchange ideas. You go there to exchange ideas/information and when you're done, you go home. You go offline.

17 hours ago, Laftpig said:

I’m a new member and joined to learn and ask questions. I’m new to computers and this site was very inviting. How do you expect people to learn without being able to ask questions?  I’m sure there was a time when you were in the same boat. Try having a little patience with people like me. Look I contributed? 

Good for you! Welcome aboard. You're not the problem, it's the people who don't try and contribute to the community

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

2 minutes ago, Bramimond said:

These kind of sentiments are what turned Stackoverflow from a place where new users could get answers to a place where new users get their questions closed and deleted. I feel this has a lot to do with people misunderstanding some website they are invested in with time to be their home, that needs cleaning. I don't think that's a healthy relationship with websites to have. My take is that a Forum is an open place to exchange ideas. You go there to exchange ideas/information and when you're done, you go home. You go offline.

Thats not the problem...the problem is people took advantage of this forum to be their tech support.

Now thats actually okay as long as they respond back and actually say thank you in the end..the forum has served it purpose.

But most of them are not..and thats the problem..even though some actually respond back but after that they never be seen again...its not a big deal but still.

As for your take..welp..all shape and sizes.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Reddit is bunch of egoist idiots.I would never and ever suggest anyone to visit reddit to get help from anything since its filled with pure egoist morons and trolls.

2 hours ago, Hiya! said:

Thats not the problem...the problem is people took advantage of this forum to be their tech support.

Now thats actually okay as long as they respond back and actually say thank you in the end..the forum has served it purpose.

But most of them are not..and thats the problem..even though some actually respond back but after that they never be seen again...its not a big deal but still.

As for your take..welp..all shape and sizes.

I'm getting the feel like this is more about you being annoyed that you invest time to helping and get nothing in return. In which case maybe you shouldn't reply to threads made by new users at all. I understand it get frustrating, like I feel right now with people asking questions which they could solve easy by just reading manuals. I solve most of air cooling issues by reading manuals or spec sheets for products in question. Rest are based on experience, and ability to google.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I'm getting the feel like this is more about you being annoyed that you invest time to helping and get nothing in return.

Uhh your feeling is wrong...i have helped LTT by answering question and i demand nothing in return..i mean what can i get? a thank you? pfff..

if i want a something in return it would be money lol

Jk aside..that is what commonly happen on LTT when it comes to new member..most of them won't respond to their own thread.

8 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

solve easy by just reading manuals

Correct most people just want someone to point them to the exact direction aka lazy..

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

38 minutes ago, StanicEnemy said:

Reddit is bunch of egoist idiots.I would never and ever suggest anyone to visit reddit to get help from anything since its filled with pure egoist morons and trolls.

I didn't suggest anyone to go to reddit..i just mentioned one of their rules.

Why everyone point their finger on me like i was the bad guy here?

The post is clear..i only ask a question why? not telling people to go to reddit or trying to force LTT to implement the same rules..But more like looking for other solution to address the issue..a better solution..together

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Just out of curiosity what do you think the average membership age is on this forum? I’m pushing 70 years of age. I’m really trying to understand what is such a big deal about in and out members. I belong to a BBQ forum that has this same problem, as you call it. Someone wants to try cooking something new, joins, learns, then moves on and others stay and contribute. I have never seem a member complaint.  

1 minute ago, Laftpig said:

Just out of curiosity what do you think the average membership age is on this forum? I’m pushing 70 years of age. I’m really trying to understand what is such a big deal about in and out members. I belong to a BBQ forum that has this same problem, as you call it. Someone wants to try cooking something new, joins, learns, then moves on and others stay and contribute. I have never seem a member complaint.  

Well this isn't BBQ forum...have u read all of the comment?

If you already did then you don't need to ask this question..

TLDR is there's nothing wrong to create an account to ask a question as long as you respond to them and if you feel like to contribute by staying and helping other then that would be good..but most of said new member or at least some of them didn't even respond to their own thread after getting all the help from a fellow member and that is the problem..we trying to help but they leave us hanging.

The another problem is which not a big deal actually but its kinda annoying a little bit is the tech support problem..As you might know when we need a help from a tech support..we tell them our problem and once it has been fixed then we leave..but this is a forum a place to hangout/share or discuss information and...well not to say "must be" but a forum should be that kind of place...is this a problem? idk you be the judge...but there's no escaping the similarities between them..

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

9 minutes ago, Laftpig said:

Thanks Hiya, but you missed the most important question I asked. Try some good BBQ and chill.

My bad..the issues is as i stated..the Tech Support issue (member come and go after they ask one question).

Second is also the tech support but this one is a bit different because not only they leave after asking one question..but they don't even respond to their own thread at all and leave those who are trying to help hanging...if you didn't know there should be some of us who wait for their respond..some of us even (maybe) go for the trouble looking for the solution they can get online to help them and they posted it but never receive any respond from the OP..

I am more a ramen girl..

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Ramen excellent! I make my own fresh ramen noodles. So many thing you can do with Ramen noodles. Good choice. Hope you help me out when I post my build. Just got my first new piece a EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 and only $59.00 after rebates. Should have the rest of the parts by Tuesday. 

8 minutes ago, Laftpig said:

Ramen excellent! I make my own fresh ramen noodles. So many thing you can do with Ramen noodles. Good choice. Hope you help me out when I post my build. Just got my first new piece a EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 and only $59.00 after rebates. Should have the rest of the parts by Tuesday. 

I wish i could eat fresh ramen everyday..i mostly eat an instant one. But they still taste good so yay..

I have responded to your request on the thread.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

It is quite annoying when that happens.

@TempestCatto

What annoying? O_o 

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

3 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

What annoying? O_o 

My quote didnt happen.

When forums delay a new user.

why are new patients allowed to have an appointment at the doctors? 
how can you any employer employ an employee without a year of experience?  

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker