Find results in...
HypedKid

Windows straight to USB or .iso to USB

Posted · Original PosterOP
30 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Download the media creation tool from microsoft

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

It'll put you through the steps to make a bootable usb for windows 10

Ya, I know but most people don't do directly to usb, they make .iso and then burn (I think) to usb ... Why they do that?

29 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

Download. Run. Select "Create installation media for another PC". Click Next a few times.

Ya, I know but most people don't do directly to usb, they make .iso and then burn (I think) to usb ... Why they do that way?

1 minute ago, HypedKid said:

Ya, I know but most people don't do directly to usb, they make .iso and then burn (I think) to usb ... Why they do that way?

The media creation tool takes a WIN 10 install ISO and installs it on your USB stick while making it bootable.

Basically what you said "most" people do, but this does both steps for you.

i7-6700k

Dark Rock TF

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro

Corsair LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB, PNY CS2211 960GB, 850 EVO 500GB, WD Black 1TB, WD Blue 4TB

MSI GEFORCE GTX 980 4GB Armor 2X

Antec HCG M 750W

Creative Labs Z to Home Theater

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Black

BENQ GW2765HT. Samsung S22B420BW

--------------------------------------------

i3-6100

CRYORIG - C7 

ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming

ADATA - XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 

DREVO X1 PRO 128GB SSD, Barracuda 1TB, PNY - CS1211 240GB

MSI Radeon R9 390x 8GB

EVGA 750 BQ 

Thermaltake P3 White

LG - 27MP37HQ-B 27.0", LG L1952TX-SF

--------------------------------------------

G4560

MasterAir G100M RGB

Gigabyte - GA-Z170XP-SLI 

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

Intel - 600p Series 256GB, WD Blue 1TB

Gigabyte GV-R777OC-1GD, Asus HD7770-DC-1GD5-V2

Antec HCG 620W

Corsair - Air 540

15 hours ago, HypedKid said:

Ya, I know but most people don't do directly to usb, they make .iso and then burn (I think) to usb ... Why they do that?

If by directly to USB you mean copy your current OS to USB, that really isn't easy way to do it. .ISO is full image of installation DVD, same thing Media Creation Tool downloads and "burns" to USB. You can download .ISO by other means to use later, or to use with another tool (Rufus for example).

However, if you currently have Win10, and won't be using the old PC anymore, you can just use current OS drive in new PC. Win10 is really good with drivers, and you can use tools to get rid of anything you don't need anymore. @homeap5 is avid supporter of that method.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 hours ago, HypedKid said:

What do you mean? You are not clear on what you mean. An ISO is bootable, it is not "burned". :)

It is just convenient to use the same type of archive/zip file for DVDs and USBs. So they use the same file. It would also work if everything in the install files was extracted and copy/pasted. But 1 big file is easier to make sure it's all there.

You cannot copy the "Windows" folder, as the installation files are different to the ones that may be used on a computer.