Windows straight to USB or .iso to USB

HypedKid

I'm making new pc and I don't know, do I need to make windows .iso and then burn to USB or I can do it straight to USB???

Download the media creation tool from microsoft

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

It'll put you through the steps to make a bootable usb for windows 10

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, HypedKid said:

I'm making new pc and I don't know, do I need to make windows .iso and then burn to USB or I can do it straight to USB???

Just get the windows creation tool and open it, select your usb, and wait. It kinda does everything for you. Then boot off of it on your new computer.

30 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Download the media creation tool from microsoft

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

It'll put you through the steps to make a bootable usb for windows 10

Ya, I know but most people don't do directly to usb, they make .iso and then burn (I think) to usb ... Why they do that?

29 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

Download. Run. Select "Create installation media for another PC". Click Next a few times.

Ya, I know but most people don't do directly to usb, they make .iso and then burn (I think) to usb ... Why they do that way?

2 minutes ago, HypedKid said:

Ya, I know but most people don't do directly to usb, they make .iso and then burn (I think) to usb ... Why they do that way?

No clue, I never did that.

1 minute ago, HypedKid said:

The media creation tool takes a WIN 10 install ISO and installs it on your USB stick while making it bootable.

Basically what you said "most" people do, but this does both steps for you.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

15 hours ago, HypedKid said:

Ya, I know but most people don't do directly to usb, they make .iso and then burn (I think) to usb ... Why they do that?

If by directly to USB you mean copy your current OS to USB, that really isn't easy way to do it. .ISO is full image of installation DVD, same thing Media Creation Tool downloads and "burns" to USB. You can download .ISO by other means to use later, or to use with another tool (Rufus for example).

However, if you currently have Win10, and won't be using the old PC anymore, you can just use current OS drive in new PC. Win10 is really good with drivers, and you can use tools to get rid of anything you don't need anymore. @homeap5 is avid supporter of that method.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 hours ago, HypedKid said:

What do you mean? You are not clear on what you mean. An ISO is bootable, it is not "burned". :)

It is just convenient to use the same type of archive/zip file for DVDs and USBs. So they use the same file. It would also work if everything in the install files was extracted and copy/pasted. But 1 big file is easier to make sure it's all there.

You cannot copy the "Windows" folder, as the installation files are different to the ones that may be used on a computer.