USB 3.0 or 2.0 5 GHz Wireless Adapter

I'm having issue with my Bargain Bin $360 17" HP Laptop from 3rd Quarter 2017. i keep losing internet connection on the 2.4 GHz Network but still on the network, most affected by software updates.  I've had internet provider out to replace n check equipment several time. so i figure i might be better off getting a USB adapter 2.4/5 GHz and Bluetooth. i'm thinking the built 2.4 GHz only adapter is failing. id direct wire at home but when out and about i still need wireless.

so in short i was wondering if i can get some recommendations for USB 3.0 or 2.0 Adapter.

Thanks in Advance:

Alice

I know these aren't super-portable looking, but for quality in-home wifi connection, these 5dbi antennas are just the overkill I like; I run two of them in my home and they are rock-solid on signal strength and don't break the bank:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAFS3W46607

If it must be portable, this isn't going to have the crazy-good signal of double, adjustable 5dbi antennas, but would be great for wifi on the go:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB0971M4446

Also worth noting: if your home wifi is the main issue you should list what your wifi source/router is and how far it is and the walls and materials in between laptop and source.  If could be that you need a more powerful wifi router or access point for a more reliable wifi source (what the ISP provides for wifi is rarely what I'd call real quality stuff).

Well it’s a COX Comunications Modem/Router. It’s 5ft away on top of my dresser. Nothing in line of site.

i called support because I have a extended warranty and they said it’s sof and I have to pay $50 for initial and $15 a month for software support. I know this isn’t a popular opinion here but Apple Care has better support then the company I got my laptop from.

thanks for the 2 adapters recommendation, I’ll check them out.

Personally I'd be looking to see if the internal adapter can be replaced with something newer as they generally perform far better than USB and is so much less hassle.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Personally I'd be looking to see if the internal adapter can be replaced with something newer as they generally perform far better than USB and is so much less hassle.

"perform far better than USB" - assumes the internal antenna is good and the USB is bad, a lot to assume
"is so much less hassle" - ignoring the fact that you have to try to find out what's available and compatible with a specific laptop and then go rooting-around inside your laptop and take care to disconnect the antenna without breaking anything to replace the wifi chip.  Then locate the support site for the new device and make sure the drivers load for the new wifi module.

Sure, once that's been done, it's less hassle as it's still inside the laptop, but it's a trade off vs the hassle of just plugging a usb-drive size device into a usb port to get a wifi upgrade.

13 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

"perform far better than USB" - assumes the internal antenna is good and the USB is bad, a lot to assume
"is so much less hassle" - ignoring the fact that you have to try to find out what's available and compatible with a specific laptop and then go rooting-around inside your laptop and take care to disconnect the antenna without breaking anything to replace the wifi chip.  Then locate the support site for the new device and make sure the drivers load for the new wifi module.

Sure, once that's been done, it's less hassle as it's still inside the laptop, but it's a trade off vs the hassle of just plugging a usb-drive size device into a usb port to get a wifi upgrade.

There is also the potential for damaging the USB device or port due them sticking out awkwardly.  Not so bad if on a big table, but its no longer practical as a "lap"top with a USB dongle plugged in.  Of course you could go for a tiny one, but then the reception is likely to be even worse than the existing internal one.

Also remembering to carry more stuff around with your laptop is far from convenient.

I get your points, but still believe you should always consider replacing the internal first as like you said, once its done you no longer have to worry about it.  So long as it has at least two internal antennas, I doubt they would be worse than a USB dongle.  They are almost always around to the top edge of your display for optimal reception.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7