24pin connected and mobo shuts off

Hello. I've recently sold my GTX 1080 Ti, as I am looking to upgrade. I currently have no graphics card at the moment. After I sold the card, I turned on my pc (without card) just to test it out, which it did for a few seconds and turned off for no reason. After that incident I could not turn it back on, and I have tried everything to test if it was the power supply or cables. And yes, the psu cables are the ones that came with my psu. But however, I tried using the 24 pin with the black and green wire method, with the 8 pin for the CPU turning the fans on, and then connecting 24 pin with the pin inside, immediately shuts the whole thing off.

Is it possibly my motherboard?

P.S, pls give a valid answer and not a yes or no, as I'm deeply numbed out, having no where to find the correct answer.

Thanks.

first off. DO NOT DO THAT!

shoving live voltage to a motherboard will damage components (if not already done).

you'd short the terminals (on the motherboard) to the front panel power switch to power the system while the 24-pin connector is connected to the motherboard.

the blk/grn short is for PSU testing alone not power the system. when the short remains while connecting to mobo is like holding the power button on the front panel.

try to use the motherboard pins for the front panel to power the system with the 24-pin connected.

Did you turn off the PSU when removing the GPU?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

36 minutes ago, Nocte said:

Did you turn off the PSU when removing the GPU?

Lol. Yes 

1 hour ago, airdeano said:

first off. DO NOT DO THAT!

shoving live voltage to a motherboard will damage components (if not already done).

you'd short the terminals (on the motherboard) to the front panel power switch to power the system while the 24-pin connector is connected to the motherboard.

the blk/grn short is for PSU testing alone not power the system. when the short remains while connecting to mobo is like holding the power button on the front panel.

try to use the motherboard pins for the front panel to power the system with the 24-pin connected.

Welp. I've tried everything before doing the jump test. So I'm guessing it's already been deas

I don't exactuly understand your instructions. How would the pjn connect to the front panel?

what motherboard?

you'd plug your front panel connections from the case to this area of the motherboard to power the pc, HDD activity light and power on light w/reset.

53 minutes ago, airdeano said:

what motherboard?

you'd plug your front panel connections from the case to this area of the motherboard to power the pc, HDD activity light and power on light w/reset.

Idk what you mean, but it's always been connected to the motherboard 

4 hours ago, NoodleFish said:

Hello. I've recently sold my GTX 1080 Ti, as I am looking to upgrade. I currently have no graphics card at the moment. After I sold the card, I turned on my pc (without card) just to test it out, which it did for a few seconds and turned off for no reason. After that incident I could not turn it back on, and I have tried everything to test if it was the power supply or cables. And yes, the psu cables are the ones that came with my psu. But however, I tried using the 24 pin with the black and green wire method, with the 8 pin for the CPU turning the fans on, and then connecting 24 pin with the pin inside, immediately shuts the whole thing off.

Is it possibly my motherboard?

P.S, pls give a valid answer and not a yes or no, as I'm deeply numbed out, having no where to find the correct answer.

Thanks.

Did you take your cpu out for any reason? Ive seen a motherboard do that with a bent pin

On 1/12/2019 at 5:10 PM, PROD. Pasca said:

Did you take your cpu out for any reason? Ive seen a motherboard do that with a bent pin

Never touched the CPU. Just don't have a gpu.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:49 PM, airdeano said:

what motherboard are you using?

Sorry for the late response, been pretty busy lately. It's an msi g45 z97 motherboard with an i7 4790k

Could you have maybe damaged the pcie slot and making something short out. I know nothing about electrical stuff on motherboards so take what i just said with a grain of salt