Huawei confirms they’re blocking third-party launchers on Chinese EMUI 9 versions, says it’s to reduce problems

InuYasha!

https://www.xda-developers.com/huawei-confirms-blocking-third-party-launchers-chinese-emui-9/ from @xdadevelopers

Huawei is no stranger controversy with EMUI, the company’s in-house variant of Android. Just recently, they were accused of blocking third-party launchers in the latest EMUI 9 China version, with no concrete information as to why. According to members on our forums, the reason for this restriction is to allegedly combat the shady practices of some third-party retailers in China (a problem we’ve seen Xiaomi deal with on multiple occasions). Now the company has confirmed that it’s done on purpose, but legitimate developers of accessibility launchers can apply to have their applications whitelisted. This does not affect anyone running the global versions of EMUI 9.

Is this the first Android phone which can not use third party launchers? I'm using a Chinese version of Honor 8X which Linus once recommended, and now Nova launcher no longer works in this phone, that shocks me. I have not encountered this problem from android 1.6 to 9.0 .

Is this behavior legal?

Xeon E-2136 / Asus Z170M-E / 32GB DDR3 / RX 570 4GB

stop considered them when they stopped giving bootloader unlock codes

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

10 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

I stopped when they stopped offering phones worth buying, back in the 2.3 era.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

They're a semi-arm of the CCP and by extension the PLA. Of course they don't want to give up the ability to control these phones. The entire ethos of the CCP is surveillance and control. They may not be doing it right now, but you can bet the farm that they want to preserve the ability to do so..

54 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

so now android's biggest advantage over iOS, customization, is being taken away on certain phones?

I'd say the biggest advantage is that you don't need to buy an iPhone to use it... or any specific phone. For instance, you can decide not to buy this and still get to use Android.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, LAwLz said:

Seems like "it's for your own good" is the new excuse for removing user freedom. 

Huawei are basically calling their users idiots who can't be trusted to use their own devices. 

Sounds an awful lot like another smartphone company I know that's been doing this since 2007 ?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

38 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Sounds an awful lot like another smartphone company I know that's been doing this since 2007 ?

i value security and stability over costomization, but mayvbe that's me. 

She/Her

14 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i value security and stability over costomization, but mayvbe that's me. 

Why do you assume they are mutually exclusive?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Why do you assume the two are mutually exclusive?

i have used android phones before and i experienced all kinds of crashes, pairing issues with my bluetooth headset, and we all know android is way less secure than iOS is. 

i've had none of those problems on my iPhone. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

we all know android is way less secure than iOS is.

Citation needed...?

Just now, firelighter487 said:

i have used android phones before and i experienced all kinds of crashes, pairing issues with my bluetooth headset

Doesn't happen to me ?‍♂️ maybe you just tried bad phones... or phones with overly bloated and ruined android versions. Besides, do I really need to list every phone bricking/crashing bug iOS has had in the last few years...?

I can understand personal preference, but "worse security" and "poor stability" are just myths at this point, or at least aren't any more true of android than of iOS.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Citation needed...?

https://medium.com/@AppInventiv/android-vs-ios-which-platform-is-more-secure-in-2018-33b3108270d

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Doesn't happen to me ?‍♂️ maybe you just tried bad phones... or phones with overly bloated and ruined android versions. Besides, do I really need to list every phone bricking/crashing bug iOS has had in the last few years...?

I can understand personal preference, but "worse security" and "poor stability" are just myths at this point, or at least aren't any more true of android than of iOS.

i used an LG G3 and sony Xperia XA1 before. 

also the fact that bloated android versions are even a thing is bad in itself. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:
Spoiler

image.png.a63cdb7ebeb94a6ff688263e681fa562.png

Which of those is the android chart? Both say iOS ?

either way "hacked apps" has nothing to do with the operating system, it has to do with how the apps are made - is android responsible if, say, facebook leaks data? - and the numbers are pretty close. 87% of paid apps having been "hacked" isn't really something to be proud of, even if the competitor store sits at 97%...

The only valid point they bring up (other than a nebulous "if there are more devices it's more risky" because... reasons I guess?) is that many manufacturers are slow on OTA updates - again, not a problem with Android but with a specific phone or manufacturer.

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

also the fact that bloated android versions are even a thing is bad in itself. 

Again, that would depend on the manufacturer... and it's easy to find out which are bloated and which are not by reading any review. You get to choose who sells you the phone, unlike with iOS. Which goes back to my original point - Android's biggest advantage is that I don't have to buy from Apple or any other manufacturer in particular. I get to pick the best phone for my needs, tastes and funds.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Now I'm curious as to whether they'll do so on international versions.

Regardless, nice try with the PR spin Huawei, but any competent Android phone user would tell you that unless your launcher is an unstable piece of crap that crashes constantly, good shit like Nova doesn't compromise the UX whilst also allowing the user to change the look and feel of their homescreen.

The sheer fact that the Honor 8 Pro that my mom uses tends to reset the launcher to its stock one after every OTA update alongside being a fucking nanny whenever I try to switch back to Nova just reeks of absolute control over the user.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

God, I was already pissed about not being able to unlock my bootloader, and now this? I'm pretty sure they already halfway implemented this in EMUI 8, it took me forever to find how to use google now launcher in the settings. Granted, this could be my lack of observation skills, but it wasn't in the same spot as EMUI 7 before the update.

I was considering buying Huawei as my next phone but the bootloader lock, and now this? Fuck no!

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I think my next phone may have to be a different manufacturer. Thinking of getting a OnePlus.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

17 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Doesn't really bother me, i prefer to keep the default launcher generally and this one i actually like. I was never really that interested in Huawei phones, but after getting my current Honor Note 8 i feel in love with their phones and EMUI, most pleased/impressed i was with a phone to date.

(Well there's also my first phone which also turned out to be Huawei, although sold under a different name for Orange, as Orange Stockholm, i was especially impressed because out of all the phones i kept, when the one i used before the one i have now broke, it was the only phone that started up and worked properly).

I also like EMUI and don't really want to switch from it haha.

1 hour ago, Strike105X said:

Doesn't really bother me, i prefer to keep the default launcher generally and this one i actually like. I was never really that interested in Huawei phones, but after getting my current Honor Note 8 i feel in love with their phones and EMUI, most pleased/impressed i was with a phone to date.

(Well there's also my first phone which also turned out to be Huawei, although sold under a different name for Orange, as Orange Stockholm, i was especially impressed because out of all the phones i kept, when the one i used before the one i have now broke, it was the only phone that started up and worked properly).

You can like EMUI, but I don't think we should encourage this sort of thing of taking control away for the sake of "usability" 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

16 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

While it does literary lock away certain parts of android, i can't really say that it equals taking control away... Even when i had my Allview V2 Viper S which had a base line clean Android OS on it (basically it was part of the FastPass google program), playing with launchers ended up messing some things up one way or another, i can see why Huawei would want to avoid that headache especially when dealing with less tech savy costumers, you also have to consider how they build and how tied is EMUI and the general construction of their custom android OS in relationship to the launcher, locking it away does make sense.

Whilst I agree that bad launchers can impede the experience, I disagree with the notion that it makes sense. 

That's because while a stock launcher is better tied to the rest of the UX overlay on top of the base Android code, a good launcher should not cause any problems in regards to usability. I've been using Nova for years on a heap on Android phones, and to date, the only one that had issues was the Honor 8 Pro, and it's only because of Huawei's nannying notifications telling me that it's somehow unsafe. 

One shouldn't have to force people to follow their way. Android phones have always been about the freedom to at least tweak the way it looks. Non-tech savvy users are much less likely to download a custom launcher anyhow, but at least give experienced users the option to install a custom launcher. 

4 hours ago, Strike105X said:

I think the point is "do customers have rights to choose?" instead of "is huawei default launcher good enough?". 

Especially I could use nova launcher when I bought this phone so I paid for that, but a month later I couldn't, and at that time I can't return it back for refund because it's out of date.

Is this a kind of fraud?

On 1/12/2019 at 9:27 PM, suicidalfranco said:

and not making me wait for 15 daaaayss!!

Untitled0.jpg.2495320e05ac399736561978222c259d.jpg

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

25 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

The "One shouldn't have to force people" argument can be used both ways, why shouldn't they be allowed to make the OS for their phones in the way they envisioned it exactly ?

How does making it an option to install a custom launcher equate to not allowing a manufacturer to make an OS in the way they wanted it to?

You’re overthinking this. OEMs like Samsung tinker with the Android baseline code but still allow users to install a custom launcher without repercussions. Huawei should have been able to do the same.

You can have your skin and launcher, but give people the option to install a custom launcher of their choosing if they want to. Xiaomi very clearly knows this.

11 hours ago, Strike105X said:

No, nobody forced you to update to the latest version after all... And the option to downgrade is still there.

So how can I get the security update without update to the latest version? Huawei told me this phone have "One year warranty" but just a month later they force me to give them up? That's not my fault!

I know I can even use adb to uninstall huawei stock launcher then make nova my default, but why I have to do it? I bought this phone, not borrowed, I paid and no need to send it back.

This thing make me very disappointed. I used to consider buying a magicbook later, but now....Huawei? No more!

6 hours ago, sof006 said:

I think my next phone may have to be a different manufacturer. Thinking of getting a OnePlus.

OnePlus is also starting to move to more "premium" devices, much like Huawei has... years ago Huawei used to be the affordable option, then OnePlus took their place, the cycle repeats. I would recommend going for a brand that is not as well known, xiaomi for instance - their stuff is really cheap and pretty high quality.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*