Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Phishing Emails - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InuYasha!

Huawei confirms they’re blocking third-party launchers on Chinese EMUI 9 versions, says it’s to reduce problems

Posted · Original PosterOP

https://www.xda-developers.com/huawei-confirms-blocking-third-party-launchers-chinese-emui-9/ from @xdadevelopers

Huawei is no stranger controversy with EMUI, the company’s in-house variant of Android. Just recently, they were accused of blocking third-party launchers in the latest EMUI 9 China version, with no concrete information as to why. According to members on our forums, the reason for this restriction is to allegedly combat the shady practices of some third-party retailers in China (a problem we’ve seen Xiaomi deal with on multiple occasions). Now the company has confirmed that it’s done on purpose, but legitimate developers of accessibility launchers can apply to have their applications whitelisted. This does not affect anyone running the global versions of EMUI 9.

Is this the first Android phone which can not use third party launchers? I'm using a Chinese version of Honor 8X which Linus once recommended, and now Nova launcher no longer works in this phone, that shocks me. I have not encountered this problem from android 1.6 to 9.0 .

Is this behavior legal?

Xeon E-2136 / Asus Z170M-E / 32GB DDR3 / RX 570 4GB

so now android's biggest advantage over iOS, customization, is being taken away on certain phones?

DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! 

Gaming PC: I5 7400 R9 290X | 512GB SSD TOTAL | 16GB RAM Windows 10

MacBook Pro Late 2011: I7 2675QM HD3000 | 512GB SSD | 16GB RAM macOS & Linux

MacBook Pro Mid 2012: I5 3210M HD4000 | 1TB SSD | 8GB RAM macOS & Linux

stop considered them when they stopped giving bootloader unlock codes

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

10 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

I stopped when they stopped offering phones worth buying, back in the 2.3 era.

On the endless quest
So far into the west
Where history and destiny collide

Your luck will last forever and
The truth will never die
The fates shall be eternal on your side
Prepare to roll the dice just one more time

With the stars in the sky our guide
Voyage ever onwards
Set a course to the other side
Of the endless oceans blue

Treasure Island
Oh, the legends told of a land of rum and plunder
Treasure Island
On a quest for gold we'll sail the seven seas

Pyo.

They're a semi-arm of the CCP and by extension the PLA. Of course they don't want to give up the ability to control these phones. The entire ethos of the CCP is surveillance and control. They may not be doing it right now, but you can bet the farm that they want to preserve the ability to do so..

35 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

why is this anyway a thing?

Just flip a fuse bit for unlocking the boot loader and the user will see a "pre boot" full screen warning for a few second during "boot" that the boot loader is open and it could be a security risk.

54 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

so now android's biggest advantage over iOS, customization, is being taken away on certain phones?

I'd say the biggest advantage is that you don't need to buy an iPhone to use it... or any specific phone. For instance, you can decide not to buy this and still get to use Android.

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Just now, LAwLz said:

Seems like "it's for your own good" is the new excuse for removing user freedom. 

Huawei are basically calling their users idiots who can't be trusted to use their own devices. 

Sounds an awful lot like another smartphone company I know that's been doing this since 2007 🤔

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

38 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Sounds an awful lot like another smartphone company I know that's been doing this since 2007 🤔

i value security and stability over costomization, but mayvbe that's me. 

14 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i value security and stability over costomization, but mayvbe that's me. 

Why do you assume they are mutually exclusive?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Why do you assume the two are mutually exclusive?

i have used android phones before and i experienced all kinds of crashes, pairing issues with my bluetooth headset, and we all know android is way less secure than iOS is. 

i've had none of those problems on my iPhone. 

Just now, firelighter487 said:

we all know android is way less secure than iOS is.

Citation needed...?

Just now, firelighter487 said:

i have used android phones before and i experienced all kinds of crashes, pairing issues with my bluetooth headset

Doesn't happen to me 🤷‍♂️ maybe you just tried bad phones... or phones with overly bloated and ruined android versions. Besides, do I really need to list every phone bricking/crashing bug iOS has had in the last few years...?

I can understand personal preference, but "worse security" and "poor stability" are just myths at this point, or at least aren't any more true of android than of iOS.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

Just now, Sauron said:

Citation needed...?

https://medium.com/@AppInventiv/android-vs-ios-which-platform-is-more-secure-in-2018-33b3108270d

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Doesn't happen to me 🤷‍♂️ maybe you just tried bad phones... or phones with overly bloated and ruined android versions. Besides, do I really need to list every phone bricking/crashing bug iOS has had in the last few years...?

I can understand personal preference, but "worse security" and "poor stability" are just myths at this point, or at least aren't any more true of android than of iOS.

i used an LG G3 and sony Xperia XA1 before. 

also the fact that bloated android versions are even a thing is bad in itself. 

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:
Spoiler

image.png.a63cdb7ebeb94a6ff688263e681fa562.png

Which of those is the android chart? Both say iOS 🤔

either way "hacked apps" has nothing to do with the operating system, it has to do with how the apps are made - is android responsible if, say, facebook leaks data? - and the numbers are pretty close. 87% of paid apps having been "hacked" isn't really something to be proud of, even if the competitor store sits at 97%...

The only valid point they bring up (other than a nebulous "if there are more devices it's more risky" because... reasons I guess?) is that many manufacturers are slow on OTA updates - again, not a problem with Android but with a specific phone or manufacturer.

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

also the fact that bloated android versions are even a thing is bad in itself. 

Again, that would depend on the manufacturer... and it's easy to find out which are bloated and which are not by reading any review. You get to choose who sells you the phone, unlike with iOS. Which goes back to my original point - Android's biggest advantage is that I don't have to buy from Apple or any other manufacturer in particular. I get to pick the best phone for my needs, tastes and funds.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

Now I'm curious as to whether they'll do so on international versions.

Regardless, nice try with the PR spin Huawei, but any competent Android phone user would tell you that unless your launcher is an unstable piece of crap that crashes constantly, good shit like Nova doesn't compromise the UX whilst also allowing the user to change the look and feel of their homescreen.

The sheer fact that the Honor 8 Pro that my mom uses tends to reset the launcher to its stock one after every OTA update alongside being a fucking nanny whenever I try to switch back to Nova just reeks of absolute control over the user.

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

God, I was already pissed about not being able to unlock my bootloader, and now this? I'm pretty sure they already halfway implemented this in EMUI 8, it took me forever to find how to use google now launcher in the settings. Granted, this could be my lack of observation skills, but it wasn't in the same spot as EMUI 7 before the update.

I was considering buying Huawei as my next phone but the bootloader lock, and now this? Fuck no!

Please quote or @ me so I can see you responded!

Current PC

CPU: AMD A8-6600k

GPU: GTX 1070Ti 8gb FTW2 iCX

Motherboard: GA-F2A78M-HD2 

RAM: 8gb Patriot DDR3-1600mhz

Storage: Samsung 830 EVO 120gb, WD Blue 1tb 7200RPM 

PSU: SeaSonicM12II 620w (I wish I didn't buy this)

Peripherals: Logitech G305//Corsair K55 RGB 

Displays: Asus MG248//Dell 1905FP

PSU Tier List v3 

New PC (getting parts)

CPU: i7-9700k

Cooling: EVGA CLC 280 RGB [✓]

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070Ti 8gb FTW2 iCX [✓]

Mobo: GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO [✓]

RAM: XPG SPEXTRIX X41 2666mhz (Grey) [✓]

Storage: T-Force Delta 250gb, WD Blue 1tb 7200RPM [✓]

PSU: 650w+ and ranked well

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

Peripherals: Logitech G305//Corsair K55 RGB [✓]

Displays: Asus MG248//Dell 1905FP [✓]

Extra: Sky blue front panel, sky blue cable extensions [✓]

Other

Phone: Huawei Mate 10 Lite (China steal my data???)

Dog: Irish Water Spaniel, Lucy, 9 years old (I didn't know what to write)

School Laptop: Acer Chromebook R11 ((less RAM than my phone)

I think my next phone may have to be a different manufacturer. Thinking of getting a OnePlus.

System Specs:

CPU:  Intel 8700K (3.7-4.7GHz Turbo)  GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOR 8GB MB: MSI Z370 Gaming Plus   RAM: Corsair 3000MHz 2x8GB(16GB)  CPU Cooler: Kraken X42 AIO  Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Z  SSD: OCZ ARC100 480GB  HDD: Western Digital 1TB Black, Seagate Barracuda 1TB both 7200RPM, WD Green 2TB (storage)  PSU: Pro750W XFX 80 Plus Gold  Case: NZXT H500 Optical Drive: -

Doesn't really bother me, i prefer to keep the default launcher generally and this one i actually like. I was never really that interested in Huawei phones, but after getting my current Honor Note 8 i feel in love with their phones and EMUI, most pleased/impressed i was with a phone to date.

(Well there's also my first phone which also turned out to be Huawei, although sold under a different name for Orange, as Orange Stockholm, i was especially impressed because out of all the phones i kept, when the one i used before the one i have now broke, it was the only phone that started up and worked properly).

Processor: Intel i7 6700 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-HD3 DDR3 | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

Memory: 16Gb (2x8) Kingston Savage @2400 Mhz DDR3 | Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ 4 Gb VRAM

Power Supply: Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze | Case: Sharkoon M25-W 7.1
OS SDD: Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB | Gaming SDD: AMD Radeon R3 240 GB

Gaming HDD: Seagate ST1000VX000 1TB | Data HDD 1:Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB 

Data HDD 2: Western Digital WD20EZRZ 2TB | Data HDD 3: Toshiba P300 3TB

External DVD-RW: LG GP57ES40

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG SI 7.1 | Headphones: Hyper X Cloud Core | Speakers: F&D 2.1 A111U

Display: LG 34UM58 34" IPS

Peripherals: Redragon Andromeda Rainbow keyboard/STEELSERIES Rival 110 Mouse/Xbox One S Gamepad

17 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Doesn't really bother me, i prefer to keep the default launcher generally and this one i actually like. I was never really that interested in Huawei phones, but after getting my current Honor Note 8 i feel in love with their phones and EMUI, most pleased/impressed i was with a phone to date.

(Well there's also my first phone which also turned out to be Huawei, although sold under a different name for Orange, as Orange Stockholm, i was especially impressed because out of all the phones i kept, when the one i used before the one i have now broke, it was the only phone that started up and worked properly).

I also like EMUI and don't really want to switch from it haha.

Used -700% storage

1 hour ago, Strike105X said:

You can like EMUI, but I don't think we should encourage this sort of thing of taking control away for the sake of "usability" 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

You can like EMUI, but I don't think we should encourage this sort of thing of taking control away for the sake of "usability" 

While it does literary lock away certain parts of android, i can't really say that it equals taking control away... Even when i had my Allview V2 Viper S which had a base line clean Android OS on it (basically it was part of the FastPass google program), playing with launchers ended up messing some things up one way or another, i can see why Huawei would want to avoid that headache especially when dealing with less tech savy costumers, you also have to consider how they build and how tied is EMUI and the general construction of their custom android OS in relationship to the launcher, locking it away does make sense.

Processor: Intel i7 6700 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-HD3 DDR3 | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

Memory: 16Gb (2x8) Kingston Savage @2400 Mhz DDR3 | Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ 4 Gb VRAM

Power Supply: Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze | Case: Sharkoon M25-W 7.1
OS SDD: Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB | Gaming SDD: AMD Radeon R3 240 GB

Gaming HDD: Seagate ST1000VX000 1TB | Data HDD 1:Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB 

Data HDD 2: Western Digital WD20EZRZ 2TB | Data HDD 3: Toshiba P300 3TB

External DVD-RW: LG GP57ES40

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG SI 7.1 | Headphones: Hyper X Cloud Core | Speakers: F&D 2.1 A111U

Display: LG 34UM58 34" IPS

Peripherals: Redragon Andromeda Rainbow keyboard/STEELSERIES Rival 110 Mouse/Xbox One S Gamepad

16 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

While it does literary lock away certain parts of android, i can't really say that it equals taking control away... Even when i had my Allview V2 Viper S which had a base line clean Android OS on it (basically it was part of the FastPass google program), playing with launchers ended up messing some things up one way or another, i can see why Huawei would want to avoid that headache especially when dealing with less tech savy costumers, you also have to consider how they build and how tied is EMUI and the general construction of their custom android OS in relationship to the launcher, locking it away does make sense.

Whilst I agree that bad launchers can impede the experience, I disagree with the notion that it makes sense. 

That's because while a stock launcher is better tied to the rest of the UX overlay on top of the base Android code, a good launcher should not cause any problems in regards to usability. I've been using Nova for years on a heap on Android phones, and to date, the only one that had issues was the Honor 8 Pro, and it's only because of Huawei's nannying notifications telling me that it's somehow unsafe. 

One shouldn't have to force people to follow their way. Android phones have always been about the freedom to at least tweak the way it looks. Non-tech savvy users are much less likely to download a custom launcher anyhow, but at least give experienced users the option to install a custom launcher. 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, Strike105X said:

I think the point is "do customers have rights to choose?" instead of "is huawei default launcher good enough?". 

Especially I could use nova launcher when I bought this phone so I paid for that, but a month later I couldn't, and at that time I can't return it back for refund because it's out of date.

Is this a kind of fraud?

Xeon E-2136 / Asus Z170M-E / 32GB DDR3 / RX 570 4GB

On 1/12/2019 at 9:27 PM, suicidalfranco said:

and not making me wait for 15 daaaayss!!

Untitled0.jpg.2495320e05ac399736561978222c259d.jpg

BEFORE YOU BUY GAMING MICE (Technical terms,Optical vs laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,etc)

Always use quote or tag ashen one,We don't want you to go hollow in here.

I love Dark Souls lore,Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/ [LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

|Etna's EDM List|

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore