Vsync

p123

What Vsync means and how it affects the perfomance?

4 minutes ago, p123 said:

VSync is meant to sync your fps to your monitor hz in order to eliminate screen tearing, it affects performance in the sense of limiting the fps if applicable.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

If you have a 60hz monitor, you will only have 60fps ingame.

Pro:

-Less CPU and GPU usage

-Less/No Screentearing

Con:

-Input lag

-Not so smooth frames. mostly noticable in egoshooters when you look around very fast 

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

The input is so bad. I use to play pubg with sync for bit dropped my kd to almost 50%

11 hours ago, p123 said:

Vsync locks your GPU's sequential image production and output (frames per second) to the same rate that the monitor displays them, in many cases that is 60hz, or 60 frames per second.

The up sides are:

there will be no screen tearing: this means without vsync when new image arrives to the display in the middle of posting the previous image it will begin using the new image while still in the middle of posting the previous image on the screen, this means part of the screen will be the first image and part of the screen will be the second image and the images are different so there will be a visible "tear" in the on screen image. Vsync eliminates this tearing by only using one image during every hz or display cycle that the monitor displays.

Vsync is great IMO, but not flexible and can cause stuttering if your PC cannot constantly without interruption feed exactly 60 frames per second to the monitor.

if your PC cannot maintain 60 FPS at all times, then anytime it misses sending the next image the monitor will be forced to use the previously displayed image without any changes, this will cause a hiccup as everything on screen pauses for 2 (or more) images.

It is recommended that you have a PC that is able to deliver a Minimum FPS of 60 for the game at the resolution and graphics settings you have enabled as anytime the PC is unable to provide 60FPS you will experience stuttering.

If you can meet the above requirements and are ok with 60hz/FPS (some people desire 120hz or 240 hz) then Vsync will serve you very well.

Example: i run a 9900k @5Ghz and 1080Ti @2012Mhz with a 1440p 60hz IPS monitor, my pc can quite easily provide more than 60fps in every game I have played and thusly Vsync works great and provides a smooth, tear free experience, and to reduce input lag I also disable additional frame buffering whenever possible in the settings(this means my GPU will not store up completed frames to use in the event that it hits a speed bump and cannot reach the 60FPS for any reason there will be a hiccup... but the GPU is forced to render a new image every time with the current inputs at a rate of 60FPS, this reduces input lag but also raises the possibility of missed frames sent to the monitor)

Good video to watch:

2 hours ago, pstarlord said: