Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stefs

Why TV antennas are still popular?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP
I have dtv and Cable provider with satellite receiver.
Now, i have a question, if i buy hd antennas, do i get something? Do this allow me to have all channels without cable provider? But, when i try to scan fr chanels without receiver, i get nothing.
Thanks..
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just helps with "cutting the cord" when it comes to cable. Quite a few people now only watch their "cable" for local news/weather/sports once in a while. Everything else could be app related. Every channel now has an app (almost). So that's why. You still get your local ABC, CBS, etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, stefs said:
I have dtv and Cable provider with satellite receiver.
Now, i have a question, if i buy hd antennas, do i get something? Do this allow me to have all channels without cable provider? But, when i try to scan fr chanels without receiver, i get nothing.
Thanks..
 

OTA antennas allow you to pick up broadcast TV. You generally get the major networks like Fox, ABC, CBS, CW, etc. These antennas only work if your in range of a broadcast tower(s). In the US we switched to digital broadcasts a while back, while this allows them to add more channels it also screwed us over because range is not as good and penetration of these digital signals is not as good. 

 

To answer your question, do you get something? Maybe, if your in range. I get like 40 channels OTA. Some days are better than others. There are days that certain channels dont come in. You can go to https://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna-Selection-a/134.htm if in the US and put your address in to see where towers are located compared to your home. That being said, depending on your home will depend on what channels you get. I get so many because my bed room is on the second floor of the house towards the north side. This gives me access to many channels because I get broadcasts from Detroit, Southfeild and Ann Arbor. Where like my dad on the south side gets about shit for channels. The TV's we have on the first floor of the house get marginal channels as the signal doesn't do good down there. Keep in mind what you posted is an in door antenna, there no where as good as an out door antenna. Some channels require and out door antenna to get. 

 

Oh and to answer why they are popular. People are sicken and fucking tired of paying for each box and for broadcast TV fees and sports fees. You get none of that bull shit with an antenna. Case in point, my home we have 5 TV's, that would be about $40 ish a month in just boxes to Comcast as you get 1 for free. Plus their bullshit broadcast TV fee and sports fees. There are many now days that are cord never's, meaning they have never had a TV sub. Then there are those like my family that refuse to give Comcast any more money. 


You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

...There are many now days that are cord never's, meaning they have never had a TV sub...

That would be me. I get far more OTA stations than I have time to watch. Most have an excellent signal, many broadcasting in 1080 and 720. Besides the biggies--ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and CW--there are numerous smaller networks and independents (and that's not including the numerous religious and Spanish speaking channels). Who needs cable and the bills that come with it.  Before my desktop computer died, I could record up to four OTA channels. I have an amplified omnidirectional antenna on my roof that gives me a more than adequate signal.


Jeannie

 

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

That would be me. I get far more OTA stations than I have time to watch. Most have an excellent signal, many broadcasting in 1080 and 720. Besides the biggies--ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and CW--there are numerous smaller networks and independents (and that's not including the numerous religious and Spanish speaking channels). Who needs cable and the bills that come with it.  Before my desktop computer died, I could record up to four OTA channels. I have an amplified omnidirectional antenna on my roof that gives me a more than adequate signal.

Funny enough my favorite station is Create which is Public Broadcasting, its kinda a mix of the Travel channel, HGTV, and the Food Network in one. Ive thought about getting some kind of network tuner. Though I dont really want another item that has to be powered in my room, as thats where the router is. 


You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Funny enough my favorite station is Create which is Public Broadcasting, its kinda a mix of the Travel channel, HGTV, and the Food Network in one. Ive thought about getting some kind of network tuner. Though I dont really want another item that has to be powered in my room, as thats where the router is. 

 I forgot to mention we get five different PBS stations.


Jeannie

 

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×