Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
funrelax

Finding a Way to Connect PC to Internet with Fast Speeds

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello all,

I just got a new PC, but my router on a different floor and my computer is obstructed by a bunch of walls from it. I tried using Wi-Fi but it is slow (almost unusable) and the ping is very high which is very bad for me because I do a lot of gaming. What do you guys think would be the best solution to this problem? I have been thinking of running an Ethernet cable from my router to my PC but that would be hard to do since the PC is on a separate floor. I was also looking into a mesh Wi-Fi system but those are expensive and I am not sure if those would even work to solve this problem. 

Thanks for listening and I hope you can come up with a better plan than me. 

-Moved to Networking-

Powerline adapters sound like a good option for you.

57 minutes ago, funrelax said:

Hello all,

I just got a new PC, but my router on a different floor and my computer is obstructed by a bunch of walls from it. I tried using Wi-Fi but it is slow (almost unusable) and the ping is very high which is very bad for me because I do a lot of gaming. What do you guys think would be the best solution to this problem? I have been thinking of running an Ethernet cable from my router to my PC but that would be hard to do since the PC is on a separate floor. I was also looking into a mesh Wi-Fi system but those are expensive and I am not sure if those would even work to solve this problem. 

Thanks for listening and I hope you can come up with a better plan than me. 

Here are the options from Great to Crap. 

1) Ethernet, the only thing superior to this is Fiber Optic cabling. 

2) Powerline/Moca adapters 

3) WiFi 

1) Ethernet is always king. Cat5e or Cat 6 can do at least 1 Gbps at 100 Meters. Cat 6a can do 10 Gbps at 100 Meters 

2a) Power line adapters. These use the electrical wires in the wall to do data communication. The newer adapters use the hot, neutral and ground wires are are suppose to offer better performance. Though power line adapters only work well if the electrical system in your home is newer and was wired correctly. Also, while newer adapters allow you to cross circuits, if you have adapters on two different circuits dont expect the best performance. I can guarantee that if your computer is 1 floor up then its on a different circuits than your router. Also remember at least in the US, 2 120volt lines come in to your breaker panel from the power company. Each feeds a leg on the breaker panel, IF the two circuits are on separate legs, there is a good chance that power line adapters might not work. 

2b) Moca adapters work on Coax that might be in the walls already. They use the upper frequencies on the coax that cable co's dont use, well at least done use for TV/Voice/Internet. Companies like Comcast use Moca in TV boxes for whole home DVR services. If you have coax near your computer and near your router, you could use that. Moca 2.0 adapters can do 400-800 Mbps depending on adapters. They are half duplex much like WiFI, but offer better speeds and more reliability. There are a few catches, 1) End to end you can only have about 300 feet of coax between adapters. 2) You need at least RG6 wiring. 3) They can be expensive to purchase. 

3) WiFI can be pretty hit or miss as you have seen. I can say you need to stay the hell away from repeaters as they suck. Mesh could work, though like you seen they are expensive. My sister has the Google Mesh system and it seems to work pretty well. With out knowing the building materials of your home and the wireless environment  around you home its hard to make a determination if your WiFi issues are due solely to your home or other issues. Because other wireless networks and devices can cause interference. Dense materials like Concrete can cause lots of interference. 

You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

3) WiFi 

1) Ethernet is always king. Cat5e or Cat 6 can do at least 1 Gbps at 100 Meters. Cat 6a can do 10 Gbps at 100 Meters 

2a) Power line adapters. These use the electrical wires in the wall to do data communication. The newer adapters use the hot, neutral and ground wires are are suppose to offer better performance. Though power line adapters only work well if the electrical system in your home is newer and was wired correctly. Also, while newer adapters allow you to cross circuits, if you have adapters on two different circuits dont expect the best performance. I can guarantee that if your computer is 1 floor up then its on a different circuits than your router. Also remember at least in the US, 2 120volt lines come in to your breaker panel from the power company. Each feeds a leg on the breaker panel, IF the two circuits are on separate legs, there is a good chance that power line adapters might not work. 

2b) Moca adapters work on Coax that might be in the walls already. They use the upper frequencies on the coax that cable co's dont use, well at least done use for TV/Voice/Internet. Companies like Comcast use Moca in TV boxes for whole home DVR services. If you have coax near your computer and near your router, you could use that. Moca 2.0 adapters can do 400-800 Mbps depending on adapters. They are half duplex much like WiFI, but offer better speeds and more reliability. There are a few catches, 1) End to end you can only have about 300 feet of coax between adapters. 2) You need at least RG6 wiring. 3) They can be expensive to purchase. 

3) WiFI can be pretty hit or miss as you have seen. I can say you need to stay the hell away from repeaters as they suck. Mesh could work, though like you seen they are expensive. My sister has the Google Mesh system and it seems to work pretty well. With out knowing the building materials of your home and the wireless environment  around you home its hard to make a determination if your WiFi issues are due solely to your home or other issues. Because other wireless networks and devices can cause interference. Dense materials like Concrete can cause lots of interference. 

To add on to 2b you also have deca which still uses the coax cable but on the lower frequency if you are using Satellite TV (as satellite is on the higher frequency) if you have coax ran in your house and aren't using cable or satellite I'd recommend deca as it is cheaper than moca.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 GPU: AMD MSI RX580 MB:ASUS TUF Gaming B450M-Plus RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock AMD SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE MOUSE: Corsair M65 Pro RGB HEADSET: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Linux Ubuntu Rig (Plex Server) CPU: Intel i3 6100 GPU: N/A MB: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H RAM: Crucial Ballistix 1x8gb DDR4 2400MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: N/A HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda/500GB Seagate Barracudax2 PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: Corsair Spec-01 KB: Same as Main

freeNAS Server: CPU: Under Planning GPU: N/A MB: Under Planning RAM: Under Planning CPU Cooler: Under Planning SSD: N/A HDD: Under Planning PSU: Under Planning Case: Under Planning KB: Under Planning

Posted · Original PosterOP
14 hours ago, Donut417 said:

3) WiFi 

Thanks so much for your help. I ordered a powerline adapter and hope it helps.