HP Spectre x360 15-df0008tx [i7 8750H]

So, just want to inquire about this HP Spectre x360 - 15-df0008tx

My only concern is thermals and battery life. Thoughts? Opinions? Im going to get thier this or the mx150 version. Just debating between the two. Cant find any REAL reviews besides this handy reddit post and stuff so could anyone with it give me some information? Or just general information/discussion around this laptop?

Reddit post for reference : https://www.reddit.com/r/spectrex360/comments/9xzllv/gemcut_hp_spectre_x360_15_i7_8750h_gtx_1050ti_maxq/

Thank you!

EDIT: Also, i checked and im pretty sure there is no FHD option BUT if by some magical miracle someone where to find one? PLEASE let me know lool

Bad cooling. MX150 version is fine

Might want to consider XPS 15 9575

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Bad cooling? Huh... okay, well I kinda want the 1050ti performance for light off and on gaming over the mx150. Is it MANAGEABLE cooling or just flat out bad unusable, craptastic cooling lol (Not opposed to liquid metal and such if need be) If completely craptastic tho ill settle for mx150 and stick to light leauge here and there. 1050ti would allow for light black ops 4 and such (yes i know the experience will be crap but its only for like 30min sessions inbetween classes and stuff at like super low settings)

1 minute ago, iechowulf said:

Is it MANAGEABLE cooling or just flat out bad unusable, craptastic cooling

Already struggle to keep the 25W MX150 model cool. KBL-G model is worse. Except even higher temps in 8750H+1050TI MQ model

The MX150 model is a bit overpriced, there are a few alternatives out there (eg Yoga 720/730 15, XPS 15 9575)

Do you really need 2 in 1?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Yes, i need a 2 in 1. the XPS 9575 is really pricey tho, i got some good deals on the spectre as opposed to XPS. 

such as : https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-spectre-x360-2-in-1-15-6-4k-ultra-hd-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-512gb-ssd-hp-finish-in-dark-ash-silver-sandblasted-finish/6301880.p?skuId=6301880

as opposed to these crazy prices for XPS are crazy 

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-15-2-in-1/spd/xps-15-9575-2-in-1-laptop

Also, if you dont mind me asking.... could i get some threshold numbers? Like whats your definition of "bad cooling" in terms of actual degrees, what would be "good cooling" and what impact generally does "bad cooling" have in terms of performance, comfort, etc. Also are we speaking of bad cooling during like 15min 100% utilization stress tests or just general 1hour sprints of off and on general usage, maybe a 30min gaming session down to video watching or document pulling up before a class, etc. Just generally want a more specific feel for this because I generally can compromise and take certain precautionary measures, modifications and such.

14 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Already struggle to keep the 25W MX150 model cool. KBL-G model is worse. Except even higher temps in 8750H+1050TI MQ model

The MX150 model is a bit overpriced, there are a few alternatives out there (eg Yoga 720/730 15, XPS 15 9575)

Do you really need 2 in 1?

17 minutes ago, iechowulf said:

Like whats your definition of "bad cooling" in terms of actual degrees, what would be "good cooling" and what impact generally does "bad cooling" have in terms of performance, comfort, etc.

Good question

First thing first: It depends on the hardware used. Second, temperature isn't the only thing to look at, clock speed also important. Third, I also look at surface temps and fan noise while under realistic load (eg games). So it's quite hard to judge actually (I cannot give you exact temperature range values, usually I will make a conclusion after looking at all the results and hardware used)

Form factor is not considered

Edit: I just realized that HP has upgraded the cooling slightly in the newer 2018 chassis, however the KBL-G model still runs hot

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Ah, Thank you... understood - I don't believe you'd have any in-depth information regarding clock speeds vs thermals on the Spectre seeing as I'm assuming you don't own one correct?

I will have to do some more research. Reviews on this specific laptop are very scarce, I'm assuming because its so recent and there are SO MANY different configurations for this laptop from many years back. I might end up personally buying it in order to do some research within the return period and determine for myself whether it is suitable. Of course, seeing as information is so thin I will be definitely posting this information for future buyers and also consider making a review video. If I do indeed do this I will reach out to answer questions any potential buyers may have. Will look into it.

Just now, iechowulf said:

I will have to do some more research

You don't have to. I already done it for you

Just now, iechowulf said:

I don't believe you'd have any in-depth information regarding clock speeds vs thermals on the Spectre seeing as I'm assuming you don't own one correct?

I don't own it, results are based on reviews from good websites like Notebookcheck (see my edited post above)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

You don't have to. I already done it for you

I don't own it, results are based on reviews from good websites like Notebookcheck (see my edited post above)

Ah, interesting... Well - at a price point of $1599.99 + tax, would u recommend buying this? Generally gonna serve as my entertainment and school work (computer science major) device when i am out of the house everyday for the next 2-ish years at university while doing light 30-45min gaming sessions inbetween classes. I wont be doing that much gaming but having the power to atleast run black ops 4 at low settings, league, etc is amazing to me. (especially since before the gaming desktop i built, i used a 5 year old HP 3000 laptop with HORRIBLE specs for playing stuff like MW2 at lowest settings) All while generally requiring one charge ( realistically gonna be using it from like 8am till 1pm with not high brightness all indoors so it'll be fine )

20 minutes ago, iechowulf said:

snip

May I know where are you from? Max budget? Usage? Any preference on weight, battery life, display size and display quality?

Gaming on battery is not a good idea - lower GPU performance, shorten battery lifespan

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

May I know where are you from? Max budget? Usage? Any preference on weight, battery life, display size and display quality?

Gaming on battery is not a good idea - lower GPU performance, shorten battery lifespan

Houston. Max Budget is whatever i need to spend ( Just kidding, its actually around $1800 but lower the better for good specs ) 
Usage : as described above
Preferences : 15" display, Dont much care for quality but id prefer a FHD display if it helps with battery life ( if no FHD options i dont care ), weight also not a factor and battery life as described above otherwise its a non-factor

Ah, im aware of the lower GPU performance but your saying that it also shortens the overall lifespan of the battery itself? Like not just draining it quicker, but you mean the battery will overall die sooner in the long run? This i did not know. Could you expound more on this? Would u recommend plugging in and gaming even at 100% battery for long periods? No detrimental effects there?

1 hour ago, iechowulf said:

All while generally requiring one charge ( realistically gonna be using it from like 8am till 1pm with not high brightness all indoors so it'll be fine )

So min 5 hours? You can actually choose between regular laptop/Ultrabook or gaming/performance laptop, which one do you prefer?

57 minutes ago, iechowulf said:

Like not just draining it quicker, but you mean the battery will overall die sooner in the long run? This i did not know. Could you expound more on this? Would u recommend plugging in and gaming even at 100% battery for long periods? No detrimental effects there?

Yes, it hurts the battery since the battery have to work 100% power output for a long period

Keeping at 100% is also not the best idea, but it is a better solution in long run. Just make sure to use up the battery life once in a while

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

10 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

So min 5 hours? You can actually choose between regular laptop/Ultrabook or gaming/performance laptop, which one do you prefer?

A Two in One, just because it won't be primarily used for gaming and id prefer to have the versatility. Basically, id prefer a jack of all trades rather than a master of one or two.

10 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Yes, it hurts the battery since the battery have to work 100% power output for a long period

Keeping at 100% is also not the best idea, but it is a better solution in long run. Just make sure to use up the battery life once in a while

Ah... interesting. Understood! Thanks for that, i didn't know

Yoga 720/730 15 could be a good yet affordable option

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Reviewed it a while back, but i can only find the UHD option which is around $1400(minimum i found it for, more elsewhere). for $1400 dollars id prefer to get the spectre honestly, the price difference isnt great so id prefer to get the nicer design, newer processor, better battery life, etc 

Could be just me looking wrong but

Update : Ordered the spectre with the 8750H and 1050Ti.... Will do an indepth review on it for any future persons. Anything specifically anyone would like to see? Post here ❤️

Arrives later this month, 25th-30th

2 hours ago, iechowulf said:

Update : Ordered the spectre with the 8750H and 1050Ti.... Will do an indepth review on it for any future persons. Anything specifically anyone would like to see? Post here ❤️

Looking forward for the thermals

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 7 months later...

Have been using the HP SPECTRE X360 15-df0008tx for about 9 months now, am pretty satisfied with it, just for the fact that I never used the pen, other than to show off.