Crazy static from microphone

Yocracra

Every time I stream, there's this loud static in the background and noise cancelation from built-in software absolutely butchers sound quality. Help!

Is it unaffected by microphone distance from either you or the speakers? Also, what microphone is this? What stream software are you using?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Is it unaffected by microphone distance from either you or the speakers? Also, what microphone is this? What stream software are you using?

My speaker to mic distance is about 1.5 ft, but my speakers aren't used during streaming. I use OBS, and my microphone is the BM-700. I know a YouTuber I watch a lot by the name of Donut Operator uses the same mic, and it sounds great.

How close is your mobile phone when recording? How do you have it patched in? Make sure everything is grounded properly.

4 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

How close is your mobile phone when recording? How do you have it patched in? Make sure everything is grounded properly.

Patched in? Grounded?

The phone is about 1.5ft away also.

Yes, how is your mic connected to your computer. Because if it's just XLR to 3.5mm TRS I would suspect that's the issue.

Try keeping your phone as far away as possible. That could indeed be a cause.

I believe it is XLR. Is that the large cable with 3 prongs? Also, there is a little box that plugs in via USB with 2 XLR cables running out: one to the mic, and one to the 3.5mm jack on my PC.

We just found out your problem. You're using the 3.5mm TRS input on your pc. Long story short, the mic preamp on pc's is about as good as the ones on a child's toy. You should really use an XLR to usb cable over the 3.5mm TRS.

What is the name on that "box" your mic plugs into?

Honestly, something like this is more what you need. And since you already have the phantom power supply (that little box you have) you'd be set. Though it does have built in phantom, I don't know if your mic needs more than what it supplies (but that's where your current phantom power supply comes in). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EK1OTZC/ref=psdc_11973691_t2_B00154KSA2

Thanks! Is there something of the sort maybe cheaper? Or is the extra $10 spent worth it?

And if the 3.5mm is garbage, how does it hook up to your computer? 

What I linked will interface via usb. If you do get it, try just using it's own phantom power, you mic may not need the full 48v and this thing might have enough juice to give.

Well, it works great. There’s still a slight bit of background noise, so my volume is slightly lower than I prefer. Any way to turn up the volume without turning up the static too? Also there seems to be lots of acoustics.

What do you mean by background noise? Noise from within your room is being picked up? Try turning down the gain in Windows, and turning up the gain on the unit itself, play around with both of those and find a comfortable spot. Are you using the unit's 48v phantom power? If not, try using it instead of your other phantom power supply. Noise can be attributed to dirty power, as in the power from the wall. Make sure you plug it into it's own outlet, and not a powerstrip. Dealing with live sound, if I plug my active speakers into the same circuit as say a refrigerator, there will be anything from white noise to buzzing, when the refridgeragtor's compressor kicks on. So make sure you're also plugging into a less populated circuit as well.

Ok. Ill keep that in mind. It’s definitely plugged into a busy power strip, but will the wall plug in the same room still work? I’m not sure because of my busy strip being in the same circuit. I’ll try and mess with the gain too.

Also, I am using the units 48v power, as without it the mic won’t pick anything up.

The wall plug in the same room may still produce noise, but I would suspect it would be a lot less than the powerstrip. Either way, you may end up with a little bit of noise no matter what you do. That is, unless you wanna spend more money. That's the problem with sound, it will never sound as good you want it to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 3:42 PM, TempestCatto said:

That's the problem with sound, it will never sound as good you want it to.

Well, the box proved that. It sounds a lot better, but after messing with the gain structure, it seems OBS and the box put a lot of fuzz into the mic. So my volume is a little low. Other than that, it works great. Thanks!

Also, I’m creating a new topic over my wireless network adapter which keeps malfunctioning, if you know much about that.

6 minutes ago, Yocracra said:

Well, the box proved that. It sounds a lot better, but after messing with the gain structure, it seems OBS and the box put a lot of fuzz into the mic. So my volume is a little low. Other than that, it works great. Thanks!

Glad I could help!