Asus Rog G771JW

Hi!

So I don't really know where to start.. I have the Asus rog g771jw . I am having issues with fps in games. Pretty much all the games. Either the game spikes and the fps goes from 10 - 100 ( both with vsync on and off , lowest settings etc.. )

I will provide some pictures of what I mean so you guys can see what I am trying to explain.
SPECS: GCWMMol.png

shL7t5P.png

GGJnngc.png

So now to the fps issues I am having. I am "playing" a game called Path of Exile. I have tried lowering the settings , V-sync on and off, changing resolution, windowed mode, fullscreen. Nothing have helped. This is a picture of how my fps looks like.
BYUOeKF.jpg

VIDEO OF WHAT I EXPERIENCE WHILE PLAYING.

Things I've done on the laptop is: Fresh windows install, new thermal paste, dusted off. Power settings set to high performance. It is plugged in so it doesn't run on the battery. I have turned off background programs. I've tried turning off the integrated GPU in device manager but then PoE won't even start. When I disable it and restart laptop it automatically enables again.

Please , please , please.. whatever comes to your mind comment so I can try it out.. Cant really afford a new one so I am trying my best to fix this.

Disabling the integrated graphics in device manager won't do anything useful. A lot of times the laptop's display is directly connected to the iGPU, so you can't even use the laptop if you were to fully disable it at a hardware level. You can try going into your BIOS and looking for integrated graphics and/or Nvidia Optimus settings. If neither are there, you can try making sure that your dedicated GPU is set in Nvidia control panel as the device to use. 

I recall one of my friends having an issue on his ancient laptop that was maybe similar to this. Can't remember what model he had, but it was an MSI for certain. He had fps issues, and he traced it back to being a problem where the laptop was randomly switching between Intel and Nvidia graphics. Not long after this, his Nvidia GPU in the laptop died and he had to suffer with Intel HD till he could get a new laptop.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

5 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

Disabling the integrated graphics in device manager won't do anything useful. A lot of times the laptop's display is directly connected to the iGPU, so you can't even use the laptop if you were to fully disable it at a hardware level. You can try going into your BIOS and looking for integrated graphics and/or Nvidia Optimus settings. If neither are there, you can try making sure that your dedicated GPU is set in Nvidia control panel as the device to use. 

I recall one of my friends having an issue on his ancient laptop that was maybe similar to this. Can't remember what model he had, but it was an MSI for certain. He had fps issues, and he traced it back to being a problem where the laptop was randomly switching between Intel and Nvidia graphics. Not long after this, his Nvidia GPU in the laptop died and he had to suffer with Intel HD till he could get a new laptop.

I have set the dedicated gpu on nvidia control panel as the device to use. Will give the BIOS a try. Thanks for fast response.

Have you installed all your drivers? Sometimes Windows update doesn't grab them all or doesn't get the best ones. Go to Asus's website and download the chipset driver and the intel HD drivers and install those.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

2 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Have you installed all your drivers? Sometimes Windows update doesn't grab them all or doesn't get the best ones. Go to Asus's website and download the chipset driver and the intel HD drivers and install those.

He should also nab some Nvidia drivers, seeing as he's trying to use THAT

Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

In progress projects:

*GPU Test Bench*

Just now, Eastman51 said:

Well I think he could have in issue with his iGPU drivers based of his dxDiag where it states there is a problem with his intel hd 4600

5 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Do i get the Intel HD Drivers from asus website or intel?

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

Well I think he could have in issue with his iGPU drivers based of his dxDiag where it states there is a problem with his intel hd 4600

Its possible, but it could be hardware related as well. Guess he's just going to have to try

In progress projects:

*GPU Test Bench*

1 minute ago, ItsJustNikko said:

Do i get the Intel HD Drivers from asus website or intel?

Asus should have a copy on their site, I'd start with that, then it should update itself once it's installed if it's an old version.

13 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Asus should have a copy on their site, I'd start with that, then it should update itself once it's installed if it's an old version.

18 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

I've installed everything you guys have suggested now. How do I check if everything is installed correcly ? Is it through dxdiag?

Check CPU+GPU temps while in game

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

15 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Check CPU+GPU temps while in game

They are 80-85C

8 hours ago, ItsJustNikko said:

They are 80-85C

That's near thermal throttling category. Check clock speed too

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 1/13/2019 at 6:33 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

That's near thermal throttling category. Check clock speed too

Is there any proper guide on how to downclock ?

27 minutes ago, ItsJustNikko said:

Is there any proper guide on how to downclock ?

Before you do that, can you to to the nVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Power Management and make sure it is NOT set to Optimal?

You see, the default setting is Optimal. What that does is, if there's nothing drawing drawing on the screen, your nVIDIA GPU clock speed will be set to 0 MHz. and once something is happening, it ramps up the speed. Sounds good on paper but often leads to performance issues. The best thing is to set it o Adaptive, apply, then reboot for the new clock speeds to take effect.

With adaptive, the nVIDIA GPU clock speeds run at a low speed and properly go to full speed once you play something. That's the best for performance whilst still giving you good battery life.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

Before you do that, can you to to the nVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Power Management and make sure it is NOT set to Optimal?

You see, the default setting is Optimal. What that does is, if there's nothing drawing drawing on the screen, your nVIDIA GPU clock speed will be set to 0 MHz. and once something is happening, it ramps up the speed. Sounds good on paper but often leads to performance issues. The best thing is to set it o Adaptive, apply, then reboot for the new clock speeds to take effect.

With adaptive, the nVIDIA GPU clock speeds run at a low speed and properly go to full speed once you play something. That's the best for performance whilst still giving you good battery life.

image.png.71de50a41d28dcfb64be754f05cf53c6.png

30 minutes ago, ItsJustNikko said:

image.png.71de50a41d28dcfb64be754f05cf53c6.png

There you go, change it to Adaptive, then reboot and let us know if it improves anything.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

There you go, change it to Adaptive, then reboot and let us know if it improves anything.

image.png.17f4390d43f16f7cf0a2c73e2e5ef381.pngnot at all..

image.png.45294ee0266724de7fe0cb14b5747df4.pngimage.png.999e3b22708a20f793ea7c302ec9e5f8.png

2 minutes ago, ItsJustNikko said:

image.png.17f4390d43f16f7cf0a2c73e2e5ef381.pngnot at all..

image.png.45294ee0266724de7fe0cb14b5747df4.pngimage.png.999e3b22708a20f793ea7c302ec9e5f8.png

What driver version are you running? Also, when did this issue start happening do your remember?

This is the latest driver from nVIDIA: nVIDIA GeForce Driver 417.71

Display Driver Uninstaller 18.0.0.6

12 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

What driver version are you running? Also, when did this issue start happening do your remember?

This is the latest driver from nVIDIA: nVIDIA GeForce Driver 417.71

Display Driver Uninstaller 18.0.0.6

I just unistalled my display drivers and currenly downloading the lastest nVIDIA driver. It has been there since I got the laptop.. I bought it of a guy 2-3 months ago.

Just now, ItsJustNikko said:

I just unistalled my display drivers and currenly downloading the lastest nVIDIA driver. It has been there since I got the laptop.. I bought it of a guy 2-3 months ago.

ok use Display Driver uninstaller to get rid of the old driver and all of its remnants first. I suggest you disconnect from the internet so that when you reboot Windows doesn't install any driver for you on its own automatically.

Also, its preferable to run display driver uninstaller in Safe Mode.

See this guide:

9 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

ok use Display Driver uninstaller to get rid of the old driver and all of its remnants first. I suggest you disconnect from the internet so that when you reboot Windows doesn't install any driver for you on its own automatically.

Also, its preferable to run display driver uninstaller in Safe Mode.

See this guide:

Great guide. I will do step by step everything you did there. Is GeForce Experience something I really need ?

2 minutes ago, ItsJustNikko said:

Great guide. I will do step by step everything you did there. Is GeForce Experience something I really need ?

Not really, the only reason I install it because I am lazy and can't be bothered to go into each game and adjust its settings for the optimal visual quality/performance so I left GeForce Experience optimize all my games. Mind you, you need to run each one of your games at least once and change any setting from the default to anything just so that it creates like a configuration file which would then allow GeForce experience to edit i and change the settings accordingly.

I have  a feeling this should solve your problem.

Let me know how it goes.

47 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

Not really, the only reason I install it because I am lazy and can't be bothered to go into each game and adjust its settings for the optimal visual quality/performance so I left GeForce Experience optimize all my games. Mind you, you need to run each one of your games at least once and change any setting from the default to anything just so that it creates like a configuration file which would then allow GeForce experience to edit i and change the settings accordingly.

I have  a feeling this should solve your problem.

Let me know how it goes.

I was very excited to start up the game.. till I got really really dissapointed.. it is still the same, nothing has changed at all, besides nvidia experience optimizing the game to run dx9 instead of dx11.

5 minutes ago, ItsJustNikko said:

I was very excited to start up the game.. till I got really really dissapointed.. it is still the same, nothing has changed at all, besides nvidia experience optimizing the game to run dx9 instead of dx11.

are you on the High Performance power plan in Windows as well or on Balanced? see in Control Panel > Power Options

if you don't see the High Performance Plan, I can guide you on how to get it back