Need Recommendations for Laptops

Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a new laptop. I have had my eye on the Surface Book 2 15" 16GB RAM 512GB laptop. I mostly want it for the multi-functionality. I will be using the laptop for school and for light gaming. In the summer I will be pursuing a degree in computer information science. I prefer anything but apple products. Based off of the reviews and multiple videos I've watched for this laptop/tablet (including Linus') I think this one would be the best fit considering what I'd use it for. The only downside I'm aware of is the price, if anyone knows if this laptop would be a good investment or if they could recommend anything better I'd love to hear from you!!!

Again the uses are for school, surfing web and watching videos, gaming (borderlands/overwatch is what I mostly play). Right now I don't have anything but my mobile and would really prefer the portability of a laptop vs a desktop. 

Imo, unless you plan on taking a good amount of notes by writing things down, there is no real reason to get the surface book 2. While it is very powerful, I would recommend getting a razer laptop, or really any other gaming laptop with good thermals and battery. If you could afford it, then I would recommend getting two laptops, one would be the surface laptop 2, and the other a gaming laptop, they would come to be about the same price of the surface book, and you might get a little bit better thermals, and maybe higher level hardware, then with the surface book 2, and then you would have the surface laptop 2 for your note taking. Either way, if you are just planning on getting one laptop, and don't want to get separate desktop, get a razer blade, they start somewhere around $1400 or something like that, and the base model has high enough specs for playing those games that you listed. It should be about as thin as the surface book, due to the strange hinge design of the surface book, but might be better at being an actual laptop then the surface book, as Linus said in his video. I do personally love surface products even though I have never owned one. Just pick which ever one you like the most, you might even be able to find some comparison videos between the surface book and the razer blade. Hope this helps.

Here is one of the videos that I was talking about that might give you some better insight on the matter. 

Also, I forgot to mention the Razer blade stealth which will probably work for your gaming needs also

This is another good laptop to consider. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Check these out if you haven't already.

More gaming focused:

MSI GS65

Gigabyte Aero 15X

More work focused:

Dell XPS 15

Lenovo X1 Extreme

Also, read about consumer reviews for Razers before you buy. Even Linus in one of his videos talks about how he had to return something like half of the ones he bought for his staff because they had issues.

NEVER get Razer laptop, bad QC and warranty

8 hours ago, Close_Rose said:

snip

Location? Budget? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

57 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

NEVER get Razer laptop, bad QC and warranty

Location? Budget? Any preference on weight and battery life?

I actually don't have a preference on weight or battery, I won't be away from an outlet most of the day. But as far as budget I was really into the surface book 2 and the bundle I looked at was 2,885.00$ which is pretty steep but I'd rather pay for something I love so I'd prefer to stay under that. 

23 minutes ago, Close_Rose said:

actually don't have a preference on weight or battery

Then you don't have to go thinnest/lightest. And you don't have to spend so much

You haven't tell me where are you from and what's your max budget

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

12 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Then you don't have to go thinnest/lightest. And you don't have to spend so much

You haven't tell me where are you from and what's your max budget

Arizona, and I don't want to spend more than the surface which is the budget so 3,000$. Sorry thought I included those

10 hours ago, Close_Rose said:

Arizona, and I don't want to spend more than the surface which is the budget so 3,000$. Sorry thought I included those

Since you don't have preference on weight and battery life, these will do (under 2k):

MSI GE63/GE73GP63/GP73 8RE/8RF

Eluktronics Mech-17 Pro-X (TongFang GK7CN6S)

Clevo PA71EP6-G

AWm15 - be aware of potential CPU overheating issue

Asus GL504GM

Asus GL703GM

HP Omen 15 dc customize - 144Hz or UHD panel

Lenovo Legion Y530 customize - 300 nits 72% NTSC 60/144Hz

Lenovo Legion Y7000

Dell G5/G7 - UHD panel

Might want to wait for RTX laptop too

Thin and lights usually have bad cooling, avoid if you don't need max portability

Desktop specs:

Spoiler