Phishing Emails - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pstarlord

Nvidia on Freesync

Posted · Original PosterOP

Forgive me if this topic has come up already, if it has, I haven't seen it.  

All the talk about Radeon VII has somewhat overshadowed the fact that Nvidia is now making their GPU's compatible with other adaptive sync tech, like Free Sync.  One of the biggest selling points for a long time for the AMD cards, was that you could save a pretty good chunk of money by not having to pay the premium for a G Sync monitor if you wanted to use adaptive sync.  

I'm primarily starting this thread to possibly try to consolidate any information/rumors/news on the effects this could have on other portions of the market.  I, as many others have, learned to trust but verify...especially from tech companies. haha.  So, if you come across any info on how this could change the landscape of the GPU market, or if the experience of using an Nvidia GPU on a Free Sync monitor will be up to expectation.  Even just possible theories on how things could pan out with it. 

What ya'll think?

I currently have a GTX 780 on a FreeSync display.

I'm interested to see if Nvidia's upcoming driver to allow this to work will actually fix some of the tearing issues I get in Rocket League(the only game I experience any kind of tearing in).

I'd imagine this will have a pretty big impact on the display industry moreso than the GPU market, since consumers won't have to shell out for a G-Sync monitor, and can just buy a FreeSync display and use that.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm interested to see if Nvidia's upcoming driver to allow this to work will actually fix some of the tearing issues I get in Rocket League(the only game I experience any kind of tearing in).

I'd imagine this will have a pretty big impact on the display industry moreso than the GPU market, since consumers won't have to shell out for a G-Sync monitor, and can just buy a FreeSync display and use that.

AFAIK the FS support is only for Pascal/Turing... Maybe Maxwell. Kepler cards... Good luck, that would be sweet. 

BTW, can you use FastSync with Kepler? 

Also, there is still work around by using AMD APU or dGPU as a pass through for FreeSync. 

No idea about how bad the latency is though. 

Spoiler

Fractal Define R4, Fractal Silent Series R2 fan x3, BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2Super Flower Golden Green 550W Gold, Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H, Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9Intel i7 4770k 4.6GHz OC, EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 OC 2038MHz Core/12400MHz VRAMEizo Foris FS2333 60Hz 1080p, AOC AG271QG 165Hz+G-Sync 1440p, CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate, Logitech G502 Spectrum, Steam Controler, Sennheiser HD600, S.M.S.L M6 Mini DAC, Blue Yeti (black) microphone, Huawei Mate 8 phone.

Just now, WereCat said:

AFAIK the FS support is only for Pascal/Turing... Maybe Maxwell. Kepler cards... Good luck, that would be sweet. 

Also, there is still work around by using AMD APU or dGPU as a pass through for FreeSync. 

Not sure about FastSync.

FreeSync would be nice, I didn't think about the new part. I still run the same driver versions as Pascal though, so there's hope. I'll wait for it to release and see if I can install it.

It wouldn't be worth investing in a new PSU or new APU just to eliminate minor tearing in one game I rarely play.

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Tough luck only Pascal and Turing will be supported.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.8ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: EVGA Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
14 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Fast Sync is only available on GeForce 900 and after: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4162/~/what-are-the-gpu-requirements-for-using-fast-sync%3F

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Probably not.

If you're lucky Pascal might get the Update.

Maxwell and older probably not...

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I'd say its negligable as its done via PCIe, so less than a ms or so...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

Tough luck only Pascal and Turing will be supported.

I believe Nvidia said they were testing with Pascal and Turing, but there is nothing official that says it won't work with older cards. I've also heard that output port version may play into it too, but it's really a software rather than hardware limitation.

I will test with my gtx 960 and certified Asus freesync monitor.

Asus Sabertooth X58, Xeon X5680 @4.0Ghz, NZXT Kraken x61, 24Gb Klevv 1600mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Armor,

Seasonic SSR-550rm, Toshiba 1TB HDD, Silicon Power 120Gb SSD, Rosewill Stryker M

Dell Optiplex 790, i7-2600, 16GB, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 4GB OC, Corsair CX550M