2070 Cards and Crashes (Need Advice)

Gileotine

Evening folks,

If this is the wrong place to put this post, let me know.

I recently came into the good luck of someone buying my a computer. They used the parts from this list: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/PRXscf/excellent-intel-gaming-build with everything except the motherboard and the MSI 2070 card. Instead they bought the Gigabyte edition: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932091

Normally I'd be extremely excited to have someone buy me something, which never happens, but after taking a look at the reviews of specifically the Gigabyte card it appears that it has massive issues with crashing among other things. I looked to the other 2070 cards to see if any of them were free of this defect, and although the other cards like the MSI and EVGA versions have slightly more positive reviews, the sample size of reviews (70 Gigabyte, 20 on average for everyone else) leads me to think that maybe these cards crash anyways across all cards. This worries me because if my card starts to crash/brick after the return window, I'll be out of luck, as I wouldn't have the money to buy a new card if mine bricks and they won't RMA it (which appears to be an issue with Gigabyte in particular).

The computer is being shipped right now, and I want to collect some opinions from everyone before I start to build it: Should I downshift into something cheaper but more reliable (like a 1070ti or, if I can find one, a 1080?), and should I buy a different card from a different partner, like EVGA or MSI? I've heard Gigabyte's customer service is horrid, and I've been an EVGA customer since I bought my 960 years ago and they've always treated me well. I feel guilty because I asked someone to buy me something, but I might have to ask them to send something back because of bad reviews.

In either case, thanks for any advice,

Grey

I have the MSI 2070 for about a month now, never had any issues with it.

I would go for Asus or MSI.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

1 minute ago, Constantin said:

I have the MSI 2070 for about a month now, never had any issues with it.

I would go for Asus or MSI.

Why those companies? Are they usually better at this kind of stuff / does Gigabyte have a bad history?

I got a 1080 because it was cheaper than a 2070. You shouldn't have any issues with either of them as far as I know, go for whichever is cheaper. I don't think a big price difference would be worth it for the 2070.

1 minute ago, Gileotine said:

Why those companies? Are they usually better at this kind of stuff / does Gigabyte have a bad history?

It's my personal opinion from different hardware i use to own in the past years

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

So the 2070 is an okay card to get? It's not likely to start exploding on me once I stick it in?