First build - UK - £1500 budget

IronCanuck

Hey guys, new to the forums and PCs all together. Haven't had a computer in roughly 10 years. I'd like to build a gaming PC to play games like destiny 2, the division 2, battle royals in general. I'd like to be able to play any game really. 

As the title says, I've got a budget of £1500 but that must include mouse, keyboard, speakers, monitor and windows. I think I'd like a Ryzen build, maybe a 2600x but I'm not 100%. I'd like to go mid tower and not full. Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: https://www.scan.co.uk/wishlists/efb8f5c8-368f-4829-aaaa-d06305408111

EDIT 2: https://www.scan.co.uk/wishlists/203a7387-53d6-4fcc-bb69-34f08d549dad

Ryzen 2600x (the non x should also be ok)

Gtx 1070

1x 500gb m.2 SSD

1x 3tb hdd

16gb ddr4

Take a look at pcpartpicker play around with it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Ryzen 2600x (the non x should also be ok)

Gtx 1070

1x 500gb m.2 SSD

1x 3tb hdd

16gb ddr4

Take a look at pcpartpicker play around with it.

2600*

1070 ti/2070*

500 gb+ m.2 OR 2,5 inch*

1x 2 or 3tb hdd*

16 gigabytes 3000+ mhz*

a nice case with much airflow, the mb511 rgb, meshify and focus g are good examples*

a b450/x470 motherboard*

but playing around a bit is a good idea

Spoiler

* indicates changes

54 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

2600*

1070 ti/2070*

500 gb+ m.2 OR 2,5 inch*

1x 2 or 3tb hdd*

16 gigabytes 3000+ mhz*

a nice case with much airflow, the mb511 rgb, meshify and focus g are good examples*

a b450/x470 motherboard*

Hide contents

* indicates changes

Ok thanks I'll see what I can put together!

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

2600*

1070 ti/2070*

500 gb+ m.2 OR 2,5 inch*

1x 2 or 3tb hdd*

16 gigabytes 3000+ mhz*

a b450/x470 motherboard*

Reveal hidden contents

* indicates changes

I've posted a link in op with what I've come up with. Any opinions?

4 minutes ago, IronCanuck said:

I've posted a link in op with what I've come up with. Any opinions?

yeah, change out that psu as it is horrible for the price

i would pay less for a tomahawk, pro carbon, pro4, or fatal1ty (all b450)

or spend a bit more and get a fatal1ty (x470)

never seen that case before, so ill leave that one to @TVwazhere

the evga black is pretty good already and a bit cheaper

you could invest in 1440p, as a 2070 for 1080p is a bit overkill

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

It's a knockoff of the Corsair 460x, which IMO is a good case. But this one is significantly cheapened, I dont know if the side vents which were decent on the 460x are actually ventilated or if they're completely covered. Assuming they have vent slots in them for airflow, this case is fine. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

18 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah, change out that psu as it is horrible for the price

i would pay less for a tomahawk, pro carbon, pro4, or fatal1ty (all b450)

or spend a bit more and get a fatal1ty (x470)

the evga black is pretty good already and a bit cheaper

you could invest in 1440p, as a 2070 for 1080p is a bit overkill

What wattage power supply would you recommend? Also what did you mean by evga black?

11 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

It's a knockoff of the Corsair 460x, which IMO is a good case. But this one is significantly cheapened, I dont know if the side vents which were decent on the 460x are actually ventilated or if they're completely covered. Assuming they have vent slots in them for airflow, this case is fine. 

Thank you very much for your input! I believe CiT are the same company that do the DIY cases in the states.

Just now, IronCanuck said:

What wattage power supply would you recommend? Also what did you mean by evga black?

450+ watts minimum, 550 would be recommended. there's actually a great list down my signature. select at least a tier c from it, and you'll probebly be fine. 

you've selected the evga xc right now, you chould change that to the evga black

Brilliant thank you so much for your help. I've posted a second edit for final revision before I order my parts. I'm properly excited to get gaming again.

Go for the best PSU you can afford, if you want to upgrade the graphics later, or perhaps go SLI/Xfire... you don't want to be stuck with a PSU that can't handle it. I picked up the EVGA G2 Gold 650W... more than enough for my system and room for a more powerful video card later... or two of my current ones. (£80)

I know some will say it's overkill... but future proofing is wise

Motherboard wise, the Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro is rated highly, as is the Asrock Pro4 according to some... I've actually just bought the gigabyte one myself. (£109)

Ryzen 5 2600x is a solid choice, but the 2600 is also good and offers a little better value for money... it's about £30-40 cheaper. (£150)

Corsair vengeance 3200mhz DDR4 is always a good choice... make sure to get twin kits (2x8 or 2x16, or 4x4, 4x8) as the ryzens do love some of the dual channel stuff, and 3200 is the sweet spot. (£123 16gb, £229 32GB)

Case... a very subjective thing... find what looks good to you and will meet your needs... you can get reasonable ones from £60-100

Cooler... air or water... Noctua, Bequiet are some of the best ones around... £40-60, if you want an all in one water cooled (AIO) a 240-280mm one will be anywhere between £80-120.

Video card... again subjective... if you can wait for the RTX 2060 at around £380 it's as good as the 1070... better according to nVidia.

Storage... get the best you can afford... I say this a lot... if you can afford an M.2 drive. the sweet spot is the WD black NVME 250GB, it's only £13 more than the Sata version M.2 but is 3 times faster... Again, some think it's overkill.. but at that size/price. It's daft not too. (£63)

Gaming... got enough left over for a decent sized SSD... try the Crucial MX500 1TB currently down to £125 (I picked up 2 for £210 when they were around £150 each)

Keyboard... go with what you want, if you like a mechanical feel spend the extra... if you're not that bothered a decent gaming one can still be found for £40-50, same with a mouse. I've got the corsair Glaive which I got on sale for about £40

Monitor, the Acer 27" GF276 is a reasonable 75hz 1080p monitor and can be picked up quite cheaply now, it's also freesync. New they can be found for around £180... but keep an eye on places like Amazon warehouse deals. I got one for a friend for £130 a little while ago.

That lot comes to around £1400 and is a decent setup... and a good base to upgrade from a few years down the line.

Don't forget you may need a windows license too.

Don't be afraid to buy used either, you can stretch the budget out.

But never forget that all opinions on parts are subjective and personal opinions and bias can and will cloud what people recommend...I wouldn't tell you what to choose... But if you check out the build logs section, I've just started one of my new setup.. which sounds like it will be very similar to what you want to get. But I am able to salvage a BDrom, USB3 card reader, graphics card, monitors, mouse, keyboard and a couple of 3TB drives. I picked up a load of stuff in sales, quite a few bits from Amazons warehouse deals... gotta love that prime free shipping too. So far I've spent around £960, but brand new everything I've bought so far should have cost just over £1200

Good luck.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.