Old Toshiba laptop crashes after boot from internal hdd

Hey, my good ol' laptop refused to boot all of the sudden. (No traumatic events such as spills, drops, etc)

It's a toshiba satellite L750.

I am quite handy in tech and have already repaired it a few times. (Not a biggie, just a screen and keyboard replacement). Also upgraded it to windows 10.

What happens: it boots, windows logo shows, windows loads and blackscreen. Sometimes you can at least move the cursor.

Same story on fresh installments of windows 10, 8.1 and 7.

Then i tried installing a linux distribution (Kali).

Installation went smooth (no hard drive errors or stuff like this).

Livemode also works like a charm. (Linux OS without installation)

But when i try to boot into my fresh linux installation, boom blackscreen.

Could it possibly be a bad motherboard? Probably not worth fixing in that case.

Sounds like an HDD issue. As Crunchy said, test it in another system. Or better still, if you have a spare lying around, plunk that in and take it for spin. Sounds like when the OS is trying to be loaded, it's too much info for the drive to handle anymore. Does your drive activity light stay solidly lit the whole time? That would help indicate if your drive has slowed down to the point where it's just constantly trying to read/write.

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Try the hard drive in another system, that way we can at least rule that out.

Just put in in a casing for external hard drive and hooked it up to my pc, re-partioned it (because of the weird linux partitions) and ran a crystaldiskmark test.

other than those ridiculous speeds nothing out of the ordinary    (yes, the case, cable and usb port are all 3.0)

tmp.PNG

1 minute ago, Allptraum1989 said:

Just put in in a casing for external hard drive and hooked it up to my pc, re-partioned it (because of the weird linux partitions) and ran a crystaldiskmark test.

other than those ridiculous speeds nothing out of the ordinary    (yes, the case, cable and usb port are all 3.0)

Put the drive itself in your PC, install an OS on it, and try booting.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Sounds like an HDD issue. As Crunchy said, test it in another system. Or better still, if you have a spare lying around, plunk that in and take it for spin. Sounds like when the OS is trying to be loaded, it's too much info for the drive to handle anymore. Does your drive activity light stay solidly lit the whole time? That would help indicate if your drive has slowed down to the point where it's just constantly trying to read/write.

I have another working laptop of similar specs lying around. Imma put its boot ssd in the laptop and see what happens. Windows 10 should be smart enough to handle hardware changes. If it works, well there i have my answer and if not, i will try crunchy dragons option to boot another device of the hdd in question.

14 minutes ago, Allptraum1989 said:

I have another working laptop of similar specs lying around. Imma put its boot ssd in the laptop and see what happens. Windows 10 should be smart enough to handle hardware changes. If it works, well there i have my answer and if not, i will try crunchy dragons option to boot another device of the hdd in question.

holy crap it actually fkn works. so my hdd is toast, thank you all!