Computer Memory - Capacity vs Speed

Hi all,

So i have a bit of an odd question. I have got my photography edit rig and starting to do some video editing with it. Below are the system specs:

Motherboard - MSI B150M Night Elf
Processor - Intel i5 7400
RAM - 4x 4gb 2400 DDR4
Graphics Card - Asus R9 290x DCU II
Power Supply - Generic 750w Bronze
Boot Drive - 256 Samsung NVME (connected to pci-e x4 slot)

Scratch Drive - 256 SSD
Storage - 1x 1tb Seagate Barracuda
WiFi card - Startech PEX867WAC22
Case - Lenovo P310

At the moment It runs fine But i found an 8gb 2400 stick at home the other day and was wondering if i would benefit of the aditional 4gb it could give despite (i assume) it running in single chanel mode?

Dual channel helps a lot for the photo editing you're doing, but it might be worth experimenting worth since it wouldn't hurt to have to switch back.

Although, if it "runs fine" then there's no real point in upgrading.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You would have to look in Task Manager at how much memory the applications you have use. If you're often getting close to 10-12 GB, then maybe adding more would help.

I suspect it won't make much of a difference.

Thanks both, I will have a look this weekend while i'm editing to see if it makes much difference.

(edit) just realised its running at 1064mhz due to it having two 1066 sticks in it.

Just now, UrbanFreestyle said:

Thanks both, I will have a look this weekend while i'm editing to see if it makes much difference.

(edit) just realised its running at 1064mhz due to it having two 1066 sticks in it.

1066 is the single data rate. You'll have to enable XMP in your BIOS.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19 hours ago, fasauceome said:

1066 is the single data rate. You'll have to enable XMP in your BIOS.

Ok will have a look in BIOS tonight. I did find 2 more 8g  sticks so now have 3 of those

3 hours ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

Ok will have a look in BIOS tonight. I did find 2 more 8g  sticks so now have 3 of those

Dual 8gb and dual 4gb would give you the best of both worlds, 24GB of ram in dual channel. Once you can enable XMP then feel free to toy around with configurations.

Also, are you looting the LTT office? Where are you finding little stashes of DDR4?

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

Dual 8gb and dual 4gb would give you the best of both worlds, 24GB of ram in dual channel. Once you can enable XMP then feel free to toy around with configurations.

Also, are you looting the LTT office? Where are you finding little stashes of DDR4?

Haha! My home is a treasure trove of parts, I had a clean out and found some really random things like a Quadro FX5800 too!