Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
azurite2

Booting to BIOS every time

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That just means they have power.

What if you choose the UEFI partition, what happens?

Alternatively, unplug everything that isn't your boot drive, hop into BIOS and see if you can see it from there...

I ended up finding the solution on tom's hardware. I needed to enable "Launch CFM". Thank you so much for your help, and hopefully this helps some other people, because I couldn't find anyone else with a problem like this.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I built a new pc yesterday and wasn't having any problems. Today I decided to go and update the bios on my motherboard, and now I boot to the bios every time. Now the reason it is doing this is because it has no drive to boot to, which is kind of weird since it was just working. It's supposed to boot off of an m.2 drive, so I don't know how the connection could have gotten loose. However my other two hdd don't show up either. Any help is greatly appreciated!

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor MOBO Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 RAM Kingston Fury Red Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition CASE NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case STORAGE Samsung 850 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" and Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM PSU Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX OS Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

7 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

I build a new pc yesterday and wasn't having any problems. Today I decided to go and update the bios on my motherboard, and now I boot to the bios every time. Now the reason it is doing this is because it has no drive to boot to, which is kind of weird since it was just working. It's supposed to boot off of an m.2 drive, so I don't know how the connection could have gotten loose. However my other two hdd don't show up either. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Did you change anything after you updated the BIOS?

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

8 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

I build a new pc yesterday and wasn't having any problems. Today I decided to go and update the bios on my motherboard, and now I boot to the bios every time. Now the reason it is doing this is because it has no drive to boot to, which is kind of weird since it was just working. It's supposed to boot off of an m.2 drive, so I don't know how the connection could have gotten loose. However my other two hdd don't show up either. Any help is greatly appreciated!

If you updated the BIOS,, there's a good chance it wiped your CMOS and settings, so just go into boot options and set the SSD/HDD order for booting and it should be back to normal.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you, I may not see your post otherwise.

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • AM4 1700 build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bJQ8kd
  • AMD Ryzen 1700 w/ Cooler Master ML240 Lite @3.9 1.35V - ASrock AB350M Pro 4  - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz RAM @2933Mhz  - Samsung 970 Evo 250GB - Crucial M500 M.2 SSD 240GB - Zotac GTX 1060 6GB AMP! edition - 4x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf Drives in O/striped - 2TB HDD - Fractal Design Node 804 -  EVGA Supernova P2 850W Platinum PSU - Pioneer BD writer in external USB 3.0 5.25 chassis - USB 3.1 Tyoe C to M.2 SATA caddy w/ 250GB Crucial MX600 M.2 drive for quick external storage needs.
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocaphone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  •  
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  •  
  • Deadpool server -  i7 6700K - Cryorig C7 cooler - b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

Did you change anything after you updated the BIOS?

Turned on cpu virtualization 

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor MOBO Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 RAM Kingston Fury Red Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition CASE NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case STORAGE Samsung 850 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" and Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM PSU Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX OS Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

Just now, azurite2 said:

Turned on cpu virtualization 

That shouldn't cause issues.

Ok, assuming you updated the BIOS with the right firmware, I'd say reset BIOS back to defaults, but pulling the battery and changing the jumper setting on the motherboard. This will reset all defaults. Then see what happens

32 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That shouldn't cause issues.

Ok, assuming you updated the BIOS with the right firmware, I'd say reset BIOS back to defaults, but pulling the battery and changing the jumper setting on the motherboard. This will reset all defaults. Then see what happens

I still have nothing. The drives are still seen in this screen though

20190111_090810.jpg

Flashing to a beta bios as well as the original didn't seem to do anything. All three of the drives can be seen in other menus within the bios, I just can't seem to select any of them as a boot device.

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

If you updated the BIOS,, there's a good chance it wiped your CMOS and settings, so just go into boot options and set the SSD/HDD order for booting and it should be back to normal.

The problem is nothing shows up, I can't select any drives.

5 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

The problem is nothing shows up, I can't select any drives.

Look at the error message under the device listings in your image. That should give you a clue as to what is going on.

17 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Look at the error message under the device listings in your image. That should give you a clue as to what is going on.

The only error like message I have found is the image posted above, but nothing related to optane memory or raid options appears to be on.

2 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

The only error like message I have found is the image posted above, but nothing related to optane memory or raid options appears to be on.

Post a clearer pic of that screen again please? Ensure the whole message is in the shot. The one above is partially cut off

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
35 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Post a clearer pic of that screen again please? Ensure the whole message is in the shot. The one above is partially cut off

I get no error messages at all, I can hear the hdd's spin up when the pc starts, and all drives are seen in the bios. I just have no way to select them in the boot options.

20190111_101813.jpg

20190111_104834.jpg

Edited by azurite2

53 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

I can hear the hdd's spin up when the pc starts

Alternatively, unplug everything that isn't your boot drive, hop into BIOS and see if you can see it from there...

Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer

I ended up finding the solution on tom's hardware. I needed to enable "Launch CFM". Thank you so much for your help, and hopefully this helps some other people, because I couldn't find anyone else with a problem like this.

12 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

Cool, glad it's working.