Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReggieGRS

Want to Water Cool my future rig but can't shake off fear of liquid inside PC

Posted · Original PosterOP

I know it's a silly fear but can't helped specially since my new rig will rip my wallet apart from 5 to 8K USD

This makes it even worse cuz if something goes wrong i won't be able to buy another for a long time

I was told not to invest in cheap solutions as they're much more likely to give me any sort of trouble

So i picked this one: Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition

I assume this to be a quality piece

Is there any advice when hooking it up or something? My biggest fear is it leaking and frying my rig from the inside... If just the WC somehow, someday stops working or whatever, then i can deal with. If it screws my whole rig (or some of it) then i'll just quit life.

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

1 minute ago, ReggieGRS said:

My biggest fear is it leaking and frying my rig from the inside...

Then air cool, because they can't leak.

1 minute ago, ReggieGRS said:

If it screws my whole rig (or some of it) then i'll just quit life.

see a psychologist and counselor and talk to them about what's going on in your life. A computer is not worth dying over, so there's something else.

FS / US:  EVGA 1070 FTW ($325)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/971428-fs-us-2-evga-1070-sc-1-1070-ftw/

System specs:

Asus X470 Prime

Ryzen 1700X

Corsair Vengence RGB 2x16GB

Crucial MX500 512 SSD

EVGA GTX1080ti w/G12 H115i cooler

BQ! PureRock CPU Cooler

Phanteks P400 Case (no front cover)

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

see a psychologist and counselor and talk to them about what's going on in your life. A computer is not worth dying over, so there's something else.

I beg to differ.

Then don't..water cooler is not necessary tbh and most people did that for aesthetic purpose.

And there are always a chance for it to leak and ruin your hardware..

BEFORE YOU BUY GAMING MICE (Technical terms,Optical vs laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,etc)

Always use quote or tag ashen one,We don't want you to go hollow in here.

I love Dark Souls lore,Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/ [LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

|Etna's EDM List|

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

AIOs are a lot more resilient than they used to be... it's way more likely for the pump to die than for it to leak.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you, I may not see your post otherwise.

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • AM4 1700 build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bJQ8kd
  • AMD Ryzen 1700 w/ Cooler Master ML240 Lite @3.9 1.35V - ASrock AB350M Pro 4  - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz RAM @2933Mhz  - Samsung 970 Evo 250GB - Crucial M500 M.2 SSD 240GB - Zotac GTX 1060 6GB AMP! edition - 4x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf Drives in O/striped - 2TB HDD - Fractal Design Node 804 -  EVGA Supernova P2 850W Platinum PSU - Pioneer BD writer in external USB 3.0 5.25 chassis - USB 3.1 Tyoe C to M.2 SATA caddy w/ 250GB Crucial MX600 M.2 drive for quick external storage needs.
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocaphone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  •  
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  •  
  • Deadpool server -  i7 6700K - Cryorig C7 cooler - b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

Well let me put it this way, once the loop is built if it were to leak, the coolant or distilled water can’t do anything. Quite simple. 

Use compression fittings, don’t put a lot of stress on components, pressure test. 

Cost of the pc shouldn’t matter, as the same steps should be taken regardless. 

If had every component soaked at some point. Gpus, the actual cpu socket and a psu. Haven’t lost a single component because of “water” cooling. 

If it bothers you, it isn’t for you. Stick to air. Or some horrid looking aio’s and deal with those pros/cons. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, Pny Anarchy 16Gb's, EVGA Titan Black SC SLI, OCZ  ZX Series 1000, Acer GD235HZ x3 5760x1080@120hz 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB, EVGA 1080 SC SLI, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144

45 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

It was figure of speech. Mostly.

38 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Then don't..water cooler is not necessary tbh and most people did that for aesthetic purpose.

And there are always a chance for it to leak and ruin your hardware..

That is the purpose of it in this situation. The case and fans will be all nice and rgb so that WC would match beautifully. My other option was a noctua d15s which would ruin the asthestics of it but idk... i guess its better to sacrifice some beauty and have piece of mind than keep worrying things will go wrong... 

30 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

If it bothers you, it isn’t for you. Stick to air.

Yea... You think a noctua d15s will have a good performance in comparison with the WC i linked?

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

Nothing will compare to custom water cooling, as it’s limitless. 

An air cooler is perfectly fine. Depends on the hardware and the temps/noise you are comfortable with. I assume you have a $1k cpu if the rig totals that much. So far its really being used, an air cooler would be “ok” for stock clocks. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, Pny Anarchy 16Gb's, EVGA Titan Black SC SLI, OCZ  ZX Series 1000, Acer GD235HZ x3 5760x1080@120hz 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB, EVGA 1080 SC SLI, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144

It's an AIO, don't sweat it.  Check their warranty program, some cover damaged parts.

"A promise is a promise"

38 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

would ruin the asthestics of it but idk

There are beautiful air cooler out there such as the dark rock 3 or pro 4,Cyrorig H7 Quad lumi, Lepa neoillusion RGB,Cooler Master MasterAir MA610P RGB or Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M

BEFORE YOU BUY GAMING MICE (Technical terms,Optical vs laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,etc)

I love Dark Souls lore,Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/ [LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

|Etna's EDM List|

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

9 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

There are beautiful air cooler out there such as the dark rock 3 or pro 4,Cyrorig H7 Quad lumi, Lepa neoillusion RGB,Cooler Master MasterAir MA610P RGB or Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M

True but i question their cooling effectiveness on a OC'd 6950X i think a D15 will be far more effective altho being ugly. The TT AIO not only looks great it probably performs great too but y'know, i'm a bit paranoid. As stated, maybe WC is not for me...

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

the coolant or distilled water can’t do anything. Quite simple.

8 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

True but i question their cooling effectiveness on a OC'd 6950X i think a D15 will be far more effective altho being ugly. The TT AIO not only looks great it probably performs great too but y'know, i'm a bit paranoid. As stated, maybe WC is not for me...

Well you should've mentioned that processor in the first place..the Noctua will do or the Dark rock Pro 4 but yes it looks a bit horrendous.

You could do a custom loop but the parts are expensive and even if you use Distilled water or Coolant they will become conductive over time..and if they leak..welp then just pray that it won't take out one of your component..if not two three

|Etna's EDM List|

50 minutes ago, Velcade said:

It's an AIO, don't sweat it.  Check their warranty program, some cover damaged parts.

Still its a pain to do..you have to send an email to them and then they will ask for the price of the damaged part and then after through all that they will probably send you a new one and it will took a while...

|Etna's EDM List|

Being an aio, there isn’t much to worry about. Don’t break it when you install it and you’ll be fine. 

Best option, performance and sound. And won’t hinder the rest of the components like a tower cooler. 

Plenty have done more with more exspensive hardware, you just need to make the leap. 

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

you just need to make the leap. 

But its so high... i might break a leg or two hahaha but yea i do see what you're saying... Will buy a cpu cooler in about 20-25 days so there's time to think it through...

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

3 hours ago, Hiya! said:

Well you should've mentioned that processor in the first place..the Noctua will do or the Dark rock Pro 4 but yes it looks a bit horrendous.

You could do a custom loop but the parts are expensive and even if you use Distilled water or Coolant they will become conductive over time..and if they leak..welp then just pray that it won't take out one of your component..if not two three

Its nothing certain yet it might go either way but i will do some research to compare the D15S vs Dark Rock Pro 4, in terms of looks alone i'll go Dark Rock. I'll take full black over a potato any day (sorry noctua) but i might run into ram clearance issues with it (44mm quad channel)... So i won't ride the D15S out just yet cuz i might be forced to sacrifice beauty for compatibility IF i do end up choosing air, as i said, nothing certain yet. Appreciate the help.

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

1 hour ago, ReggieGRS said:

Its nothing certain yet it might go either way but i will do some research to compare the D15S vs Dark Rock Pro 4, in terms of looks alone i'll go Dark Rock. I'll take full black over a potato any day (sorry noctua) but i might run into ram clearance issues with it (44mm quad channel)... So i won't ride the D15S out just yet cuz i might be forced to sacrifice beauty for compatibility IF i do end up choosing air, as i said, nothing certain yet. Appreciate the help.

If you do decide you want to water cool, I would suggest that you don't waste your time on an AIO. Tests have shown that nearly all 240mm AIOs can be beaten in cooling performance by a high-end twin-tower air cooler so long as said cooler has some decent, high static pressure fans and has access to lots of fresh, cool intake air. If you want to water cool properly, go full high-end custom loop with multiple rads and GPU cooling to boot. Its expensive, but in return you will have one of the coolest looking rigs on the planet and due to extreme cooling performance, you can load all your hardware to 100% using benchmarks and still have the rig next to silent.

I have one of the most powerful air-cooled rigs out there (in terms of airflow and cooling performance, I do NOT have a mega CPU or GPU) so check out my build here for inspiration:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/900350-the-zen-of-huayra-tata-ultimate-air-cooling-build/

Build Complete! "The Zen of Huayra-Tata":

My most Interesting Discussion to date:

10 hours ago, ReggieGRS said:

It was figure of speech. Mostly.

look man, some people commit suicide for some petty reasons. taking one's life is no matter to joke about.

FS / US:  EVGA 1070 FTW ($325)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/971428-fs-us-2-evga-1070-sc-1-1070-ftw/

System specs:

Asus X470 Prime

Ryzen 1700X

Corsair Vengence RGB 2x16GB

Crucial MX500 512 SSD

EVGA GTX1080ti w/G12 H115i cooler

BQ! PureRock CPU Cooler

Phanteks P400 Case (no front cover)

11 hours ago, knightslugger said:

look man, some people commit suicide for some petty reasons. taking one's life is no matter to joke about.

Joke about is a good way to air out the ugly in the world man it is as i see it. Also, having gone through depression myself i know pretty well how it is. While i'm not in danger of ending my own life, i can say that your definition of "petty" is just your personal opinion. You never know what goes on in one's life for them to consider whatever to be a legit reason. I find it unfair for you to call it "petty" upon hearing that, some could even consider that an insult or thinking you're calling them dumb for considering suicide over a "non-sense" reason as some would undoubtedly call it. Everyone is different and have their own unique list of priorities, someone out there may hold their PC at very top of the list and if they do, who are we to judge them? Buuut this is a tech forum not a mental health one. Just wanted to state that i have personal experience in the subject and didn't joke with a mean intent.

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

On 1/11/2019 at 8:21 AM, ReggieGRS said:

I know it's a silly fear but can't helped specially since my new rig will rip my wallet apart from 5 to 8K USD

This makes it even worse cuz if something goes wrong i won't be able to buy another for a long time

I was told not to invest in cheap solutions as they're much more likely to give me any sort of trouble

So i picked this one: Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition

I assume this to be a quality piece

Is there any advice when hooking it up or something? My biggest fear is it leaking and frying my rig from the inside... If just the WC somehow, someday stops working or whatever, then i can deal with. If it screws my whole rig (or some of it) then i'll just quit life.

Have no fear. 

I had a leak last month after installing my new Titan RTX cards into what is basically a brand new system platform upgrade (got the Rampage VI Extreme motherboard and i9 7960x a couple weeks earlier). Green water all over everything. 

Wouldn't even try to boot. 

So I stuck paper towels everywhere moved the graphics cards up out of their slots, fixed the cause of the leak (SLI waterblock bridge screws were not tight enough) and ran a tornado fan at the motherboard for 2 days. 

Works fine again. 

Not to say you can't fry your parts, but I've actually spilled water on things several times before this first leak and nothing ever died. Generally the worst that will happen is you have to wait days and days for everything to dry off. 

HEDT: i9 7960x @ 5.0 gHz, 64GB @ 3200mHz G.Skill Trident-Z CL14 DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, Asus PG348Q monitor, Razer Huntsman Elite keyboard, Razer Mamba Elite mouse

Mainstream desktop: i9 9900k @ 5.3 gHz, 32GB @ 3200mHz G.Skill Trident-Z CL14 DDR4, Nvidia Titan V, Corsair HX1000i, Samsung 960 Pro 1TB, Asus PG279QZ monitor, Asus ROG Claymore keyboard, Speedlink Omnivi Core mouse
Laptop: Razer Blade early 2017 7700hq model, swapped in Samsung 960 Pro 1TB, Intel 8265 Wifi, repasted with Grizzly Kryonaut, thermal pad swap to Fujipoly Extreme XR-m pads