Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zethex

Thinking of dual monitor setup. Can I use full screen on one monitor only and do something else like browsing on the second?

yep. 

you can do that with games as long as they are set to borderless windowed instead of fullscreen. 

video's and stuff you don't need to do anything. you can have. fullscreen video playing on one display and do something else on the other. 

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi all linustechtips.com users,

I have this old monitor that I would like to use as a second monitor. I don't want to use full screen on both at the same time because they are both pretty different (different refresh rate, bezels are thicker) so I only want to use 1 monitor full screen at a time. Is it possible to have one monitor on full screen (such as a game or video) and the other at the desktop where I can browse the web or look in file explorer? I use both Windows and Linux so if someone could tell me if it's possible for that to happen on both OSes that would be great. Thanks

Posted · Best Answer

yep. 

you can do that with games as long as they are set to borderless windowed instead of fullscreen. 

video's and stuff you don't need to do anything. you can have. fullscreen video playing on one display and do something else on the other. 

DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! 

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011: I7 2675QM HD3000 | 1 TB SSD | 16GB RAM macOS High Sierra

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012: I5 3210M HD4000 | 500 GB SSD | 8GB RAM macOS Mojave

Gaming PC: I5 7400 R9 290X | 512GB SSD TOTAL | 16GB RAM Windows 10

Games have to be windowed borderless so you can move your mouse around without it being locked to the first display.

Please quote or @ me so I can see you responded!

Current PC

CPU: AMD A8-6600k (@4.2Ghz)

GPU: GTX 1070Ti 8gb FTW2 iCX

Motherboard: GA-F2A78M-HD2 

RAM: 8gb Patriot DDR3-1600mhz

Storage: Samsung 830 EVO 120gb, WD Blue 1tb 7200RPM 

PSU: SeaSonicM12II 620w (I wish I didn't buy this)

Peripherals: Logitech G305//Corsair K55 RGB 

Displays: Asus MG248//Dell 1905FP

PSU Tier List v3 

New PC (getting parts)

CPU: i7-9700k

Cooling: EVGA CLC 280 RGB [✓]

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070Ti 8gb FTW2 iCX [✓]

Mobo: GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO [✓]

RAM: XPG SPEXTRIX X41 2666mhz (Grey) [✓]

Storage: T-Force Delta 250gb, WD Blue 1tb 7200RPM [✓]

PSU: 650w+ and ranked well

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

Peripherals: Logitech G305//Corsair K55 RGB [✓]

Displays: Asus MG248//Dell 1905FP [✓]

Extra: Sky blue front panel, sky blue cable extensions [✓]

Other

Phone: Huawei Mate 10 Lite (China steal my data???)

Dog: Irish Water Spaniel, Lucy, 9 years old (I didn't know what to write)

School Laptop: Acer Chromebook R11 ((less RAM than my phone)

^^ that will affect refresh rate though, at least in certain games. Like in Rainbow Six Siege, if you choose anything other than full screen, it will display it at 60Hz

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler (Temporary): Deepcool - GAMMAXX 300 R 40 CFM CPU Cooler - GPU: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Edition OC+ - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

You can definitely do that, as its a very common multi-display setup. Contrary to what some other folks are saying, you can still play games in full screen mode on one display, and still see whatever you have open on the other display. However, if you want to bring your mouse over and interact with whats open on the other display, you'll have to ALT + Tab out of the game. For some games this is no prob and it only takes a second, for others it can be a little laggy.

General nerd and I work in corporate finance. Happy to help!