Jump to content
Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Phishing Emails - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
partymarty

SSD not detected in laptop

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello,

 

I'm helping a friend of mine with his laptop (acer asprire E1-571), his HDD died so I wanted to give him a small surprise.

 

Got him a Samsung 860 EVO 500gb, but the laptop just won't recognize it.

Tried my own Samsung 850 PRO 256gb, the laptop does recognize this drive.

 

So I really don't get it.

 

What I've already tried:

1- tinkering with some bios settings

2- Do some powershell things with the drive:

Diskpart

Clean

Create partition primary

Active

Format fs=ntfs quick

Assigned label

 

But it won't help at all.

 

Anybody got some advice on how to configurate the 860 evo 500gb that it will be recognized?

 

Kind regards!


PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, partymarty said:

Hello,

 

I'm helping a friend of mine with his laptop (acer asprire E1-571), his HDD died so I wanted to give him a small surprise.

 

Got him a Samsung 860 EVO 500gb, but the laptop just won't recognize it.

Tried my own Samsung 850 PRO 256gb, the laptop does recognize this drive.

 

So I really don't get it.

 

What I've already tried:

1- tinkering with some bios settings

2- Do some powershell things with the drive:

Diskpart

Clean

Create partition primary

Active

Format fs=ntfs quick

Assigned label

 

But it won't help at all.

 

Anybody got some advice on how to configurate the 860 evo 500gb that it will be recognized?

 

Kind regards!

Is this to be used as an OS drive?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

Is this to be used as an OS drive?

Yes.


PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

so how are we determining that its not being recognised? 

 

As soon as I turn the laptop on it says: no device detected. Even when I use a windows installation disk it says that there are no device where it can be installed on.

 

When I connect it via an exteral hdd circuit board on my own pc, it does recognize.


PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

Is it showing in device manager?

As I said in the first post: his HDD died so I wanted to give him a small surprise.

 

So there is no such thing as a device manager when the only working drive the laptop has is brand new.


PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, partymarty said:

As soon as I turn the laptop on it says: no device detected. Even when I use a windows installation disk it says that there are no device where it can be installed on.

 

When I connect it via an exteral hdd circuit board on my own pc, it does recognize.

connect it to your pc and using samsung magician update the firmware, also check for any bios updates on the laptop 

 

how old is this laptop, can you disable CSM?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, partymarty said:

As I said in the first post: his HDD died so I wanted to give him a small surprise.

 

So there is no such thing as a device manager when the only working drive the laptop has is brand new.

You said you were using PS so assumed you were able to use windows with another drive. If it doesn't show in the bios its either not installed correctly or DOA


Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

You said you were using PS so assumed you were able to use windows with another drive. If it doesn't show in the bios its either not installed correctly or DOA

Ah now I see, it's not DOA. When i connect it via USB I can write and read files from/to it.


PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

connect it to your pc and using samsung magician update the firmware, also check for any bios updates on the laptop 

 

how old is this laptop, can you disable CSM?

Samsung Magician won't see it when it is connected though a external drive circuit board. It just sees AsMedia USB 3.1

 

I'm now trying to create a windows to go on the drive and see if the lapto recognizes the drive.


PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, partymarty said:

Ah now I see, it's not DOA. When i connect it via USB I can write and read files from/to it.

Is the SATA on the laptop dead then. 


Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

Is the SATA on the laptop dead then. 

No because my own 850 Pro does work.

 

I got the bios to 'see' the drive, but I keep getting the message: no boot device detected.

I think I need to partition it in a certain way.


PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, partymarty said:

Samsung Magician won't see it when it is connected though a external drive circuit board. It just sees AsMedia USB 3.1

 

I'm now trying to create a windows to go on the drive and see if the lapto recognizes the drive.

plug it into your main pc internally?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

plug it into your main pc internally?

That's going to be my next step:

 

install in my own pc

install windows on it

install it in his laptop

reinstall windows on it (cuz of drivers)


PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, partymarty said:

No because my own 850 Pro does work.

 

I got the bios to 'see' the drive, but I keep getting the message: no boot device detected.

I think I need to partition it in a certain way.

No boot device because it has no windows installed. In windows setups does the drive appear?


Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Laputacake said:

No boot device because it has no windows installed. In windows setups does the drive appear?

Thus fat it does not


PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

It just acts weird:

 

950 pro:

Boot from dvd, thing is quick and reaches the point where you select the drive really quick

 

960 evo:

Boot from dvd takes ages, thing won't even reach the point where I can select a drive.

 

Shit is strange...


PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Laputacake said:

Image result for windows custom setup

Even that point the installation won't reach.

 

I think I'm going to try to swap some things:

I will give him my 850 evo 500gb (yes I've got a 850 pro and a 850 evo in my system) and take the 860 evo 500gb for myself.

 

Let's see if that will work.


PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

Image result for windows custom setup

Update:

 

I've done the diskpart steps on my 950 pro, now the laptop won't recognize that drive aswell.

 

So it must be a configuration issue with the drive. Because now they both won't work.


PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, partymarty said:

Update:

 

I've done the diskpart steps on my 950 pro, now the laptop won't recognize that drive aswell.

 

So it must be a configuration issue with the drive. Because now they both won't work.

Stop using diskpart. Just wipe them completly as if they're new. Don't even format them and try to get to windows setup and go on custom and windows will do all that.


Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

Stop using diskpart. Just wipe them completly as if they're new. Don't even format them and try to get to windows setup and go on custom and windows will do all that.

Okay I will just wipe them like they're brand new. Will report back to you!


PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 hours ago, Laputacake said:

Stop using diskpart. Just wipe them completly as if they're new. Don't even format them and try to get to windows setup and go on custom and windows will do all that.

I manged to install windows 10 on the 500gb SSD.

 

They way I did it:

I downloaded the oldest windows 10 version I could find.

Did some tinkering with the MBR (Master Boot Record).

Started a custom windows 10 installtion (waited for at least 2 hours for it to reach to screen where I could pick which drive I wanted to install it on). 

Installation gave an error 2 times.

The third time it did install correctly and is now working a 100%.

I only have to do the updates for the last 2 years with MediaCreationTool.exe (from the Microsoft website)

 

Thanks for all your help yesterday, really appreciated your commitment helping me ❤️ 


PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×