Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Phishing Emails - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Morgan MLGman

Come on Huawei... Huawei general sales director in Poland gets arrested under charges of spying for China

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Your thoughts on this?

This is starting to look like McCarthyism... what does Poland even have that is worth spying on (no offense)? Where is the evidence of said spying? How would the general sales director of Huawei get the opportunity of spying on Polish national secrets?

To be clear, I don't consider it beyond the Chinese government to spy other countries, possibly through their larger international export companies, but I also think this sort of allegations need to be backed up by more than words.

The men were arrested because the Internal Security Agency in Poland determined that they were in constant contact with Chinese Secret Service.

So... is this an admission that Poland was spying on them too? Or are we just supposed to take their word for it?

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Posted · Original PosterOP
12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

This is starting to look like McCarthyism... what does Poland even have that is worth spying on (no offense)? Where is the evidence of said spying? How would the general sales director of Huawei get the opportunity of spying on Polish national secrets?

To be clear, I don't consider it beyond the Chinese government to spy other countries, possibly through their larger international export companies, but I also think this sort of allegations need to be backed up by more than words.

Unfortunately no more information is available at the time as the investigation is currently ongoing, it's a very fresh news even in Poland so I'll definitely update the thread with specifics.

I honestly have no idea why would they spy in this country, besides the fact that it became a huge market for chinese phones though so it might be related to that. Xiaomi and Huawei/Honor became the most popular phones in Poland over barely 3 years. Other than that, there's nothing here that other developed countries do not have. And it's DEFINITELY not military secrets because our military is a joke.

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

So... is this an admission that Poland was spying on them too? Or are we just supposed to take their word for it?

Possibly, however I somewhat doubt it as it's three different people working in three different places (although in the same industry field) that were seemingly unrelated to each other.
My bet would be on someone reporting the issue after seeing some suspicious activity, however it's only speculation because no other information is available at this time.

I'll definitely update the thread if something new pops up.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4,7GHz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X TRIO 11GB GDDR5X Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 TG White PSU: Corsair TX650M (2017)
Displays: DELL UltraSharp U2711, Samsung T240HD Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS), ADATA Premier SP550 240GB M.2, WD Red 2TB & 1TB
Laptop: Acer Nitro 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X 4GB RAM: 16GB Storage: 240GB M.2 SSD, 1TB HDD Display: 15.6" IPS

19 minutes ago, Arika S said:

so are they being charged with direct espionage (as in, they as individuals were the ones doing it)? or is it just because they work for Huawei?

两样多少?

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

so are they being charged with direct espionage (as in, they as individuals were the ones doing it)? or is it just because they work for Huawei?

Why would they arrest 2 polish citizens along with them if it was just because they work for Huawei?

Chinese companies boycotting Apple intensifies 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

9 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Why would they arrest 2 polish citizens along with them if it was just because they work for Huawei?

Because that's how most spy rings work. You have a foreign national running an operation with developed agents in the foreign country.

As for the moves against Chinese Telecoms, a few years ago, the USA got a high-level intelligence agent to defect from China to the USA with a massive trove of data. What we've been seeing probably is the result of that. Beyond the Money/Influence that comes from the next infrastructure build out, there's clearly something more behind the scenes that everyone is reacting to and not saying anything about.

I'm starting to think an important set of crypto got broken about 2-3 years ago, but no one wants to admit it was compromised because they can keep spying on pretty much everything... oh jeez, did AES get broken?

3 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, I could argue with the bolded part as a Polish native, especially considering our current government, but yeah, I'm in the IT industry in Poland and I've heard from inside sources that it's quite a serious deal so I decided to post news about it :P

Ouch, really? They sounded pretty cool in things like boycotting the UE about food/product quality across different ue regions...

Processor: Intel i7 6700 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-HD3 DDR3 | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

Memory: 16Gb (2x8) Kingston Savage @2400 Mhz DDR3 | Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ 4 Gb VRAM

Power Supply: Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze | Case: Sharkoon M25-W 7.1
OS SDD: Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB | Gaming SDD: AMD Radeon R3 240 GB

Gaming HDD: Seagate ST1000VX000 1TB | Data HDD 1:Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB 

Data HDD 2: Western Digital WD20EZRZ 2TB | Data HDD 3: Toshiba P300 3TB

External DVD-RW: LG GP57ES40

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG SI 7.1 | Headphones: Hyper X Cloud Core | Speakers: F&D 2.1 A111U

Display: LG 34UM58 34" IPS

Peripherals: Redragon Andromeda Rainbow keyboard/STEELSERIES Rival 110 Mouse/Xbox One S Gamepad

7 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Because that's how most spy rings work. You have a foreign national running an operation with developed agents in the foreign country.

As for the moves against Chinese Telecoms, a few years ago, the USA got a high-level intelligence agent to defect from China to the USA with a massive trove of data. What we've been seeing probably is the result of that. Beyond the Money/Influence that comes from the next infrastructure build out, there's clearly something more behind the scenes that everyone is reacting to and not saying anything about.

I'm starting to think an important set of crypto got broken about 2-3 years ago, but no one wants to admit it was compromised because they can keep spying on pretty much everything... oh jeez, did AES get broken?

My point was that if they are being arrested along with 2 polish citizens then it isn't a simple matter of them working for Huawei. They must have something concrete on them if they wrested the other 2 as well. 

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

My point was that if they are being arrested along with 2 polish citizens then it isn't a simple matter of them working for Huawei. They must have something concrete on them if they wrested the other 2 as well. 

Two technical points. 1) All Major Chinese Companies are parts of the Chinese Government. 2) Every Chinese National is, by Chinese policy, an intelligence agent and can be debriefed upon return to China. (This is why there really should be a ban on Chinese College students.)

I bring those up because most Western powers tend to run agents through Defense Contractors. China clearly has decided to run them through other types of companies, which brings their entire product stacks into question. 

7 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

snip

This thread will be treated like all the others.  The difference is your thread started of as a political rant about a tech company, the other threads became a political rant. If this becomes a political hodge podge it'll get closed too.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

If they are doing it in Poland, they have to be doing it everywhere right? Not to be mean to Poland, but its not a military, economic, or strategically powerful country. So if they are bothering to use Huawei as a front to commit espionage against Poland, it then can be almost taken on faith that every country where Huawei has inroads likely has Chinese agents at work.

The big question on my mind is that whether this is done in relation to privacy concerns related to everything Huawei or is it related to some form of espionage that just happens to involve a Huawei guy? 

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

Just now, RorzNZ said:

China will detain all of Poland.

Inb4 the Chinese do the slav dance

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

Huawei hardware is known for spying and sending data back to China.

I don't know why anyone would buy a Huawei phone or device for that matter unless security is the last thing on your mind.

Lets hope the world ban's them for every Telco and Retail Store.

CPU | Intel i7-8086K Overclocked 5.4Ghz @ 1.44v | GPU | EVGA 1080 FTW2 Overclocked 2190Mhz | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz |MOTHERBOARD | Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | STORAGE | 2x Samsung EvO 256GB NVME  | COOLING | Hard Line Custom Loop D5 Pump Monsta 480mm Radiator  | MONITOR | Acer Predator X34 | OS | Windows 10

And people defend them in the US, lol. It's almost like US intelligence committees have research and information they don't release to the public when deciding companies like this might be spying! Wow, shocking!!! 

16 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I would place my bet on IKE, the key exchange of IPsec. There were suggestions from various leaks that the NSA could break a large proportion of VPN connections and with IPsec being used frequently in an enterprise environment it could make it the exploited target.

In 2015 the Logjam attack was made public which would explain how the NSA could be decrypting VPNs on a large scale. It is based around the fact that part of the algorithm used to crack the Diffie-Hellman key exchange is based off a constant value which is the same for all implementations of the same key size so an adversary could precompute (and the NSA has a lot of money to spend on equipment) the part of the solution for this constant value and use it later to quickly crack a key exchange later.

“The parameters” (or group) are some big numbers that are used as base for the DH computations. They can be, and often are, fixed. The security of the final secret depends on the size of these parameters. This research deemed 512 and 768 bits to be weak, 1024 bits to be breakable by really powerful attackers like governments, and 2048 bits to be a safe size.

For the most common strength of Diffie-Hellman (1024 bits), the researchers estimated it would cost a few hundred million dollars to build a machine, based on special purpose hardware, that would be able to crack one Diffie-Hellman prime every year.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/logjam-the-latest-tls-vulnerability-explained/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/19/nsa_crypto_breaking_theory/

There were counter arguments to the paper but even if it wasn't feasible then remember - the NSA have had 4 more years and can store any interesting traffic it wants for later decryption.

I would also argue that AES has not been broken - the NSA still recommend AES, although they did up the recommended key length for certain materials to 256-bits a while ago.

9 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

I would place my bet on IKE, the key exchange of IPsec. There were suggestions from various leaks that the NSA could break a large proportion of VPN connections and with IPsec being used frequently in an enterprise environment it could make it the exploited target.

In 2015 the Logjam attack was made public which would explain how the NSA could be decrypting VPNs on a large scale. It is based around the fact that part of the algorithm used to crack the Diffie-Hellman key exchange is based off a constant value which is the same for all implementations of the same key size so an adversary could precompute (and the NSA has a lot of money to spend on equipment) the part of the solution for this constant value and use it later to quickly crack a key exchange later.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/logjam-the-latest-tls-vulnerability-explained/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/19/nsa_crypto_breaking_theory/

There were counter arguments to the paper but even if it wasn't feasible then remember - the NSA have had 4 more years and can store any interesting traffic it wants for later decryption.

I would also argue that AES has not been broken - the NSA still recommend AES, although they did up the recommended key length for certain materials to 256-bits a while ago.

IKE or some part of the HTTPS system would make sense. Chinese backdoors at the Edge would let them scoop up all of the active data transmission for later decrypt. AES is probably crackable, for the NSA, in the "we really, really don't want to, but if it's the absolute last resort...". I just threw it out there because it's the only thing most might have heard about and it really would be extremely bad if it was broken.

if you have proof they are spying why would you continue to let them sell products in the country? 

Animes i want to have another season: Noragami, No game no life, clannad, black bullet