H115i vs H150i *or* 240mm rad vs 360mm rad

Hey everyone,

I'm planning a build that would run a 9700k, so I was wondering if there are any considerable differences in cooling performance between different sized radiators, or in this case the Corsair H115i or H150i. 

I do plan to run the processor at stock speed pretty much all of the time. 

Many thanks

If you're running stock speeds, having excessive cooling isn't going to make any difference in performance. 

The H150i is the better cooler but either would be fine albeit overkill for stock. Why are you looking at these coolers in particular?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

i mean, the stock intel heatsink is enough to run the chip at stock speeds. going with a 240 radiator for stock speeds is massive overkill, tough you should see exceptional temps and silence when going for overkill cooling.

The 150i will cool better than the 115i (which is 280, not 240). Both are more than fine for a 9700k at stock though. Both are fine for OC'ing it too

7 hours ago, Mehmy said:

The 150i will cool better than the 115i (which is 280, not 240). Both are more than fine for a 9700k at stock though. Both are fine for OC'ing it too

Right, thank you for the correction. I've only owned a dinky H50 and that did a mediocre job cooling my 4790k, so I have no knowledge whatsoever on the performance of larger AIOs haha. 

7 hours ago, RollinLower said:

i mean, the stock intel heatsink is enough to run the chip at stock speeds. going with a 240 radiator for stock speeds is massive overkill, tough you should see exceptional temps and silence when going for overkill cooling.

When it comes to cooling I would prefer to go overkill just to keep components in better shape. Thank you for the insight, it helps a lot!

4 hours ago, Ogreclock said:

Right, thank you for the correction. I've only owned a dinky H50 and that did a mediocre job cooling my 4790k, so I have no knowledge whatsoever on the performance of larger AIOs haha. 

I'm currently on a 9700k + h150i. All cores at 5GHz 1.34v, and never go above 70C with fan speeds at 50%. The h115i you'll probably get a bit hotter / need to run faster fans, but the stock ones are decently quiet so it's not a big deal

2 hours ago, Mehmy said:

I'm currently on a 9700k + h150i. All cores at 5GHz 1.34v, and never go above 70C with fan speeds at 50%. The h115i you'll probably get a bit hotter / need to run faster fans, but the stock ones are decently quiet so it's not a big deal

Right. The reason I was considering the H150i is just if I wanted to overclock later on. Thanks for the insight!