Bungie and Activision part ways

suits
Go to solution Solved by ZacoAttaco,

That's good, it will stay on Battle.net for the time being.

Bungie has split/ended contract with yet another major partner. But this time is taking their main game series with them, Destiny. Bungie had previously seperated from Microsoft after developing the Halo series, Microsoft retained the rights to Halo when Bungie left.

In surprising, but not entirely unexpected, news, word has just come down that Activision and Halo and Destiny developer Bungie are splitting. Bungie will be retaining the rights to Destiny and will, presumably, continue on as an independent entity (at least for now).

According to Schreier, tensions between Bungie and Activision have been long-simmering, with the former wanting Destiny to appeal to hardcore shooter and MMO fans, while the latter pushed for a more mainstream approach. In recent months, Activision has openly expressed dissatisfaction with the sales and engagement numbers for Destiny 2, leading some to suspect some sort of breaking point might be imminent, but a full-on divorce is nonetheless a shock.

Word is, those at Bungie are looking at this break as a positive thing, with staff cheering loudly when the news was announced. 

This could be a good thing for hardcore players who enjoyed the first Destiny more than Destiny 2 as Bungie has made claims that Activision wanted to push it more mainstream, rather than retaining it's hardcore grinding appeal. 

Source 1 - Wcctech

Bungie will assume publishing rights of the Destiny series from Activision, the developer announced today.

In a statement, Activision said, "Today, we're announcing plans for Bungie to assume full publishing rights and responsibilities for the Destiny franchise. Going forward, Bungie will own and develop the franchise, and Activision will increase its focus on owned IP and other projects. Activision and Bungie are committed to a seamless transition for the Destiny franchise and will continue to work closely together during the transition on behalf of the community of Destiny players around the world."

Source 2 - Gamstop

You gotta wonder what happened behind those closed doors, did activitision want them gone and didn't renew the contract, was it Bungie. I personally am interested to see what happens to Bungie and their development of future games. It's also interesting that they retain the rights to Destiny

Oh thank you, a thousand times yes. I actually enjoy D2, and I mean a lot. From everything I got, Bungie devs really care about the game from gamer standpoint. Maybe now we won't get mtx that were rumored. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

So it's all blizzard now?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 1/10/2019 at 5:00 PM, williamcll said:

So it's all blizzard now?

No Blizzard is still owned by Activision Blizzard, the parent company. Activision is still a company. Bungie had signed a deal with Activision to partner up, and it didn't work out well. 

8 minutes ago, suits said:

Activision wanted to push it more mainstream, rather than retaining it's hardcore grinding appeal. 

Translated:

Activision wanted a game that wasn't totally shit.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Excellent news, Bungie were a top 5 game studio before partnering with Activision, now all we need is Bioware to break free from EA and maybe gaming will be good again. Actually, now that I think about it, all the best developers seem to get stuck with just the worst publishers.

8 minutes ago, suits said:

No Blizzard is still owned by Activision. Activision is still a company. Bungie had signed a deal with Activision to partner up, and it didn't work out well. 

Activision Blizzard is the parent company of both Activision and Blizzard Entertainment. Activision doesn't own Blizzard.

Great! Now we just need Bethesda to separate from Bethesda and we are good ?

/s

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

This just keeps getting better for Activision Blizzard stock.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/10/stocks-making-the-biggest-moves-after-hours-netflix--activision-blizzard-and-more.html

Activision Blizzard shares dropped as much as 7 percent after hours as the video game company announced it was transferring publishing rights for its Destiny franchise to Bungie. Therefore, Activision will not include revenue, operating income or operating loss from the Destiny franchise in 2019.

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Activision Blizzard is the parent company of both Activision and Blizzard Entertainment. Activision doesn't own Blizzard.

I hear people say that a lot, I'm sure it's true but it doesn't mean Blizzard are free from Activision's corruption. 2018 was a testatment that just because they are not owned by Activision, their influence is sadly, still strong.

3 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I hear people say that a lot, I'm sure it's true but it doesn't mean Blizzard are free from Activision's corruption. 2018 was a testatment that just because they are not owned by Activision, their influence is sadly, still strong.

Oh influence is definitely strong, no arguing there, we have seen it in the last few months. I agree completely.

But it's such a weird and unique relationship, I can't figure out how they work.

I don't know how this affects Destiny 2, if it does at all, but I think the community would appeciate some of the early DLC being available to everyone, the DLC model came from Activision's shady practices.

Either way as a fan of the series it makes me very excited for D3, I hope they can make Destiny into something like World of Warcraft where the servers stay online and new expansions are added rather than new titles, I understand for a company that's self-publishing, that is a enromous task but that would be interesting.

I don't know why ppl praise Bungie so much. Halo 1 was one of the worst games I've played. Terrible and lazy level design was the biggest killer of it. It was like its devs just discovered copy&paste commands and they basically used them across entire levels. Only good thing was the introduction of the Flood through recordings and those creeps actually going at you. Aaaaand then ruined it with more horrendous copy&pasting of levels...

46 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I don't know why ppl praise Bungie so much. Halo 1 was one of the worst games I've played. Terrible and lazy level design was the biggest killer of it. It was like its devs just discovered copy&paste commands and they basically used them across entire levels. Only good thing was the introduction of the Flood through recordings and those creeps actually going at you. Aaaaand then ruined it with more horrendous copy&pasting of levels... 

If you played Halo 1 well after the fact then I could see what you're saying, but the key thing was for the time it was truly a revolutionary title. Halo 1 introduced an immersive world and story, great visuals for the time and excellent core gameplay. Some later levels are a little tedious, The Library isn't one of my favourite levels but I think there is a lot of variety in the enviroments you're in, forest, jungle and snow areas. Don't get it twisted, if Halo hadn't have come out for the original Xbox I doubt the Xbox brand would still be around.

9 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I've been playing Destiny since year 2 of D1 on PS4.  I play Destiny 2 mostly on PC now, and I've been there for a lot of the bs and changes.  Hopefully, Destiny gets better after this split as I feel a lot of the BS was on Activision's part.  But, I will believe it when I see it.  The game has become a chore and is losing replay value.  I might have a problem, though.  

PS4 = 2398hrs and 37ms on D1-D2

XBO = 429hrs and 44ms on D1-D2

PC = 273 hrs and 44ms on D2

I was big Destiny 1 player, on PS3. I was annoyed that I had to start again, I lost all my progress, if Bungie could implement a system of expansions rather than new titles (akin to World of Warcraft) I would spend more time in the game, but for me I don't like seeing all that progress come to nothing.

EXTRA:

'Spawn Wave Media' has just covered this story, he's an excellent gaming journalist on YouTube.

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Destiny 2 is a bit worse, imo.  Basically,  after you finish the story

I dunno, the fact that Destiny 2 had a story seems like a remarkable improvement.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

24 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

PS4 = 2398hrs and 37ms on D1-D2

You spend 100 days playing Destiny......I don’t know what to say...

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

Destiny 2 is a bit worse, imo.  Basically,  after you finish the story they just have you do the same shit over and over again to reach max light level now.  3 strikes with at least 1 person matching your class element, 1 nf, 1nf with a 100k score, 3 story missions, 3 gambit matches, 5 pvp matches, 18 bounties, clan crap, chores on a planet, daily story missions, raid, and so on.  It always goes back to the same crap for like 4-5 weeks in a row before it finally gives you something new.  Another problem is forcing what they call masterwork cores for infusion rather than just for masterworking.

This is exactly why i stopped playing, along with them releasing a season pass for £30 two months after charging almost as much as a full game for forsaken, whether that was Activision or not i don't know, either way it was unforgivable for me

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

17 minutes ago, grayperview said:

This is exactly why i stopped playing, along with them releasing a season pass for £30 two months after charging almost as much as a full game for forsaken, whether that was Activision or not i don't know, either way it was unforgivable for me 

I suspect those decisions were influenced by Activision, but now the future of Destiny is in Bungie's hands so we'll wait and see how they handle DLC and Microtransactions.

Cool. Been playing Destiny 2 a bit and enjoying it, especially Forsaken. Always been a fan of Bungie. I am glad they didn't fall into getting absorbed into Activision like Blizzard. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Too little, too late Bungie. The franchise has already been ruined for me.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |