New workstation/gaming pc build (Ryzen or Intel)

KristijonasG

Hello guys, hope you can help me decide if I need to upgrade my system. 

Today I have: i5-6500, 16gb ram 2400mhz, GTX 1060 6gb, 2x 250GB SSD.

I want to upgrade to Ryzen 1700x but I don't need if it's worth it. I can get new cpu for 180 EUR or roughly 200 USD.   
Also I have TB350-BTC AM4 AMD B350 mining motherboard which I can use for a build but I don't know if its good enough? Should I get a new one? 

Also all my RAM are 2400mhz. Are they too slow for Ryzen? I heard for Ryzen you need to have 3200 mhz to get most of use your CPU. 
Mostly I use my system for Lightroom, Photoshop and Premiere.

That motherboard will do. But be sure to update the bios to support 2nd gen ryzen.

Ignore 1700, a 2600 will be enough for your usecase.

in premiere you can enable cuda to boost overall rendering time.

i used 2400mhz with no problem.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Thanks for your reply,

Do you think it would be worth downgrading from 1700x to 2600? in term of money it just 40 eur difference

you can get around the Ram speed by manually overclocking the Ram. so its not the end of the world

id get a B450 Pro4 board.

the motherboard you have isnt exactly optimal

whats your desired future upgrades look like ??

I'd agree and say go to the 2600 and use the saved money for a possible board upgrade to do some OCing

~~~~Started Folding - Feb 7, 2019~~~~

Thanks for everyone's replies. I was just wondering why everyone suggests to use 2600 instead of 1700x? I thought 2 extra cores would benefit my workflow. Am I wrong? 

From what I've seen/read, they preform about on par. 1700x slightly better but not for the price increase. Its a 1st vs 2nd gen chip comparison 1 tier apart so it makes sense. The money saved can be used towards other upgrades, like higher frequency ram or a B series motherboard for overclocking ability.

~~~~Started Folding - Feb 7, 2019~~~~

If you need to buy new ram you should go 3000+

But if you already have ram, there is no point in not using it. If you can sell the old and buy faster for +10-20 $ do it. But it is probably not worth the effort