Don't know what phone to pick: Nokia 5.1 or Moto G6 Play? Or is there anything better?

Hello there. 

So, I've been meaning to buy a new phone for quite a while, and today I went by a local store and found the Nokia 5.1, and it actually looks pretty good, MicroSD, no ugly glass back and even headphone jack! (Unfortunately, the screen has rounded corners, but ofc, you may not get everything) All in all, I think it would suit me quite well. It's even on sale.
It is only that the screen almost feels a bit narrow in some way if you compare with my old handset, and that it has not yet received a confirmed update from android 8.0. I've also read about the software being more buggy and not as speedy compared to other phones in this price class. 

I have also checked out the Moto G6 Play, and although I like larger screens and the powerful battery, and the ability to control display colour, it doesn't really feel as good in the hand as the Nokia, almost a bit big. (Well I mean, comparing feel in the hand is pretty hard with two demo units laced down with anti-theft wires, but still.)

And since I really want to get the best upgrade possible for around the 230 dollar price range (coming from a beat up Xperia T3), I turn to you: Does anyone have any experience with either the Nokia or the Moto, and which one would you go for? Or is there another phone that's better than these two for the price?

Have a nice day!

for that price range get at least a snapdragon 636 processor.

both of your options have outdated processor.

do you have access to xiaomi phones?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

for that price range get at least a snapdragon 636 processor.

both of your options have outdated processor.

do you have access to xiaomi phones?

Yeah, i have been looking at the Mi A2, which would be slightly more expensive then the Nokia, it has better specs undoubtedly, but it wouldnt me my top pick, since it lacks both a headphone jack and microsd slot, which are features I like to have in my phones.

take a look at redmi note 6, it got everything you need, and a great camera.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

take a look at redmi note 6, it got everything you need, and a great camera.

That is a really interesting option actually, although I'm not the biggest fan of Miui, and the notch, but its probably gonna be difficult to find a phone that ticks all the boxes...

if you hated the notch go for Redmi 7 (no pro yet), it has dewdrop notch which is minimal.

For miui, you can install another launcher for your liking.

Redmi note 6 is a note 5 with a notch, everything else is the same.

The Note 5 thicks all the boxes: SD636, 4000mah battery, headphone, ir blaster, dual sim, sdcard plus a great camera.

That's why it is the best selling phones in india.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

if you hated the notch go for Redmi 7 (no pro yet), it has dewdrop notch which is minimal.

For miui, you can install another launcher for your liking.

Redmi note 6 is a note 5 with a notch, everything else is the same.

The Note 5 thicks all the boxes: SD636, 4000mah battery, headphone, ir blaster, dual sim, sdcard plus a great camera.

That's why it is the best selling phones in india.

Hmmm, that Note 5 actually looks pretty nice, and if its basically the same as the note 6 i would probably go for the 5. And yes i could install a launcer of course, i just really like look of stock. But, as i have to accept, i cant have everything.

the notch is not that bad, you'll get more real estate with the absence of the chin and forehead.

you can disable (hide) the notch (via setting) and still have larger screen than the note 5.

11 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

the notch is not that bad, you'll get more real estate with the absence of the chin and forehead.

you can disable (hide) the notch (via setting) and still have larger screen than the note 5.

True, although honestly id feel better about having none of it at all, however ill see which of them is cheaper/has a more reputable reseller. It sounds like you have first hand experience with these phones. If so, do you find them hard/easy to hold, and do you think they would be comfortable for someone with medium/small hands?  And also, do you think there will be a performance difference between the 3gb ram/32bg and 4gb ram/64gb version of the note 5. The 32 gb is same price as the nokia i looked at previously, and the 64gb is a bit more expensive. 

as a matter of fact i do.

is a big phone, so don't expect to run your thumb across.

you'll need 2 hands to type properly.

i have fairly small hands, but i'm used to big phones like samsung note 4 or lg g3.

the build is okay, on par with iphone 6 or 7 i guess,  but not as polished as nokias. 

the aluminium back is slippery, but you'll get a silicon case included.

so far no problem, but i suggest you get the 4gb, i had the 3gb but cannot run some features like face unlock.

after replacing with the 4gb it is buttery smooth.

you'll be surprise this cheap phone can recognize your face quickly.

30 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

as a matter of fact i do.

is a big phone, so don't expect to run your thumb across.

you'll need 2 hands to type properly.

i have fairly small hands, but i'm used to big phones like samsung note 4 or lg g3.

the build is okay, on par with iphone 6 or 7 i guess,  but not as polished as nokias. 

the aluminium back is slippery, but you'll get a silicon case included.

so far no problem, but i suggest you get the 4gb, i had the 3gb but cannot run some features like face unlock.

after replacing with the 4gb it is buttery smooth.

you'll be surprise this cheap phone can recognize your face quickly.

I imagine i'd be using the finger print scanner rather then the face unlock, but to each their own. And id probably be going 4gb anyways. And i actually found a stock 9.0 rom for the note 5, so if i get all to bored with miui there is a way out i guess xD

8 hours ago, TwentyOnePenguins said:

I imagine i'd be using the finger print scanner rather then the face unlock, but to each their own. And id probably be going 4gb anyways. And i actually found a stock 9.0 rom for the note 5, so if i get all to bored with miui there is a way out i guess xD

yes the market is big, so as the community, no wonder there's a port for everything.

I actually just found Xiaomi's webstore, and it turns out a 32 gb version of the note 5 would be very reasonably priced at 1 990 SEK (225USD). For that same price i could also get a android one mi a2 lite, which ticks all the boxes except the notch. It does look a little smaller and easier to hold too. However im not sure its gonna perform quite as well as the note 5...