Titles are getting worse (proposal)

JoostinOnline

Before I start, this isn't another "clickbait" complaint thread.  I want to address the more recent trend towards minimally descriptive video titles.  These are the ones I'm talking about:

Spoiler

I understand that you want interesting titles, but this making it increasingly difficult to tell your videos apart.  When all your titles are a super vague question or statement, there's no way to find the correct video without trial and error.  Half the time I don't even know what the title was referring to after I finish the video.

Right now it's not that big of a deal because there aren't that many of them, but it's like having a bunch of "Untitled Folder (#)" folders on your desktop.  The more you make, the harder it will be to tell them apart.  I have a proposal/request that I hope you'll consider:  After a short period of time (a week maybe) make an addendum to the title so it says what the video is actually about.  That way, a month from now, I can look up "linus tech tips nvidia freesync support" (or something) and actually find the correct video.

Edit: Turns out they've already considered and discarded this idea.

Thanks to @ZacoAttaco for pointing out a recent post by Linus.  I wasn't aware of this.  I'm pretty close to my breaking point though.  I understand wanting to make more money, but it's just adding frustration to my life at this point.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

AGREE

I stopped watching my favorite Cop Blockers because they started using click bait titles.  I used to watch a few a day, Amendment Auditors and such.  I cannot support their channels anymore.  To much click bait.  To the point I feel like its no longer a passion but a paycheck (for them).

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Its common writing practice that a title should be a statement of the video content. I feel in many other places this writer would just be fired to make up these titles. It's like naming my last lab report, 'How did THIS happen in a LAB??'. Thats an F. I just click on an LTT video now if it pops up on my youtube. 

[EDIT]

Before you start saying like look at PewDiePie's videos he has vague titles as we'll and gets millions of views etc, you're not PewDiePie. You're a tech channel.  It's funny sometimes but you need to keep that serious aspect of the LTT channel to keep being critical of products and look at all aspects. If a smaller channel like Gamers Nexus seems to be gaining traction and producing much better quality content, with a lower budget and fewer staff, then what are you doing? I do like a giggle from time to time in the LTT videos, but this recent overdoing it is just killing the jokes, and downplaying why we actually watch the videos. It should complement the videos, not distract. 

like it wasnt bothering me too much, but it is lately gotten a bit overboard (that or my taste has changed). 

i get that its supposed to be sensational, but you honestly dont know what to expect.

14 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

AGREE

I stopped watching my favorite Cop Blockers because they started using click bait titles.  I used to watch a few a day, Amendment Auditors and such.  I cannot support their channels anymore.  To much click bait.  To the point I feel like its no longer a passion but a paycheck (for them).

Well I don't expect them to completely eliminate them.  Linus did a very straightforward "Honest Answers" about why they're necessary to stay in business.  I think that long term this is going to cause serious issues if they don't keep them updated though.  That's why I'm suggesting a compromise.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

like it wasnt bothering me too much, but it is lately gotten a bit overboard (that or my taste has changed). 

i get that its supposed to be sensational, but you honestly dont know what to expect. 

At first it was just here and there that they used titles like that.  Those five videos I linked are from the past 3 days.  It's gotten far more condensed.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

8 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Well I don't expect them to completely eliminate them.  Linus did a very straightforward "Honest Answers" about why they're necessary to stay in business.  I think that long term this is going to cause serious issues if they don't keep them updated though.  That's why I'm suggesting a compromise.

At first it was just here and there that they used titles like that.  Those five videos I linked are from the past 3 days.  It's gotten far more condensed.

See, its their job to get me to watch.  Its their passion that inspires me.  Not the click bait titles.  And the stay in business BS - that's a lie that's a million dollar company that is NOT hurting.  What he didn't honestly say is, we need to do this to stay ahead of the competition and be on top.  The problem with that is, Ive moved on to the Competition.  I ******* HATE the guy at Gamers Nexus.  But Ill watch his stuff over LTT because of this until it becomes click baity.

Maybe they are getting more clicks.  That's fine, it will work for now, but those clicks...are they complete video watches?  I haven't watched a single LTT video since the Apple 5k thing they broke and brought Rossmann in to help put together.   So they get a few people more to click but how many are they losing?

I mean it must be working, they wouldn't continue if it caused click count to go down, which hurts ad revenue - I understand the WHY.  I do not support the WHY.  So I put my clicks (pennies) where my support is :)  Im here on these forums for the knowledgeable community not because its LTT.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

39 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

See, its their job to get me to watch.  Its their passion that inspires me.  Not the click bait titles.  And the stay in business BS - that's a lie that's a million dollar company that is NOT hurting.  What he didn't honestly say is, we need to do this to stay ahead of the competition and be on top.  The problem with that is, Ive moved on to the Competition.  I ******* HATE the guy at Gamers Nexus.  But Ill watch his stuff over LTT because of this until it becomes click baity.

Maybe they are getting more clicks.  That's fine, it will work for now, but those clicks...are they complete video watches?  I haven't watched a single LTT video since the Apple 5k thing they broke and brought Rossmann in to help put together.   So they get a few people more to click but how many are they losing?

I mean it must be working, they wouldn't continue if it caused click count to go down, which hurts ad revenue - I understand the WHY.  I do not support the WHY.  So I put my clicks (pennies) where my support is :)  Im here on these forums for the knowledgeable community not because its LTT.

What's wrong with the guy at Nexus, other than the videos are oft longer than need be and he's fairly boring? I'd rather someone like him, Dave Lee, or hell, even Luke over the forced irritating dweebness of Linus or that other annoying NCIX guy with glasses. At least Luke was fairly normal and to the point.

#Muricaparrotgang

4 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

What's wrong with the guy at Nexus, other than the videos are oft longer than need be and he's fairly boring? I'd rather someone like him, Dave Lee, or hell, even Luke over the forced irritating dweebness of Linus or that other annoying NCIX guy with glasses. At least Luke was fairly normal and to the point.

To be honest - its something about his voice, his appearance, and how often he f****** shakes the hair out in front of his face.  It drives me INSANE.  I have long hair, down to mid back and wear a man bun to keep it out my face. 

Im going to sound like a prick but here goes - guy totally reminds me of the snowflakiest snowflakes that Ive ever snowflaked.  That's the only way I can explain it.  Ive literally watched only a few videos (and while they did help and I was able to get stuff fixed with them) and I cant, I just cant.  Its all just...blech to me.

I've thought about this exact thing recently.

I mean it's understandable that they're going for a title that's more likely to draw in more viewers, but at this point it's just confusing. Adding the name of the product or service at the end of the video title would make it a lot easier for people to find specific videos.

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

To be honest - its something about his voice, his appearance, and how often he f****** shakes the hair out in front of his face.  It drives me INSANE.  I have long hair, down to mid back and wear a man bun to keep it out my face. 

Im going to sound like a prick but here goes - guy totally reminds me of the snowflakiest snowflakes that Ive ever snowflaked.  That's the only way I can explain it.  Ive literally watched only a few videos (and while they did help and I was able to get stuff fixed with them) and I cant, I just cant.  Its all just...blech to me.

dBNf3mA.gif.42af75255539c31dfd06dbb5bc94afae.gif

tbh i kinda like riley

it's just that especially linus is getting too much business oriented...

and clickbaity

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

tbh i kinda like riley

and clickbaity

I actually don't mind Linus' antics or his crew at all.  Nothing about them bothers me.  I LIKE watching his videos.  Hell I don't MIND the hype.  Its the 1980's neon colors of words on the pic that shows vids, the titles meant to give you nothing but question what it means etc.  Until it changes, I watch Jayz, or figure it out myself. 

I lied, the last video of his I watched was about the Customer Service of fixing a desktop when the RAM wasn't seated properly.  Just want to clear that up lol

BTW Im not against GN bro, its just something about *him* specifically that grinds my gears.  Again, his videos helped me with a BIOS issue before.  Good stuff.  Terrible presenter (for me).

Now onto the business orient you mention - that's exactly it with these videos (my opinion).  Its now JUST a business for Linus (my opinion).  That's fine, kudos to him for building his Empire - every day I wake up I build my Empire - but it changes things for me and how I interact with their media.  I wont touch it with a 10 foot pole.  Ill watch my GN bro over an LTT bait click.

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

business for Linus (my opinion).  That's fine, kudos to him for building his Empire - every day I wake up I build my Empire - but it changes things for me and how I interact with their media.  I wont touch it with a 10 foot pole.  Ill watch my GN bro over an LTT bait click

yeah... i don't mind him doing it. it's just every single video he seems to be working for the company or something. i would like him to be a little less that sometimes, and just seeing it as cool tech, not as a potential financer for his own company. paid videos i don't mind, others i sometimes do...

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

yeah... i don't mind him doing it. it's just every single video he seems to be working for the company or something. i would like him to be a little less that sometimes, and just seeing it as cool tech, not as a potential financer for his own company. paid videos i don't mind, others i sometimes do...

I agree - frequency is to high - as viewers what he had previously (you hit the nail on the head I think) was a certain amount of - hes just a regular goofy dude - that appeals to all of us.  Just...tone it down @LinusTech  Be personable.  Not Samsungs, or whoever else your selling us today, bro.  Our bro.  LOL.

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I agree - frequency is to high - as viewers what he had previously (you hit the nail on the head I think) was a certain amount of - hes just a regular goofy dude - that appeals to all of us.  Just...tone it down @LinusTech  Be personable.  Not Samsungs, or whoever else your selling us today, bro.  Our bro.  LOL.

agree, the goofy not everything that should be impossible can't be done yank linus needs to come back more

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

tbh i kinda like riley

and clickbaity

God, I HATE that guy. He's the one I was trying to mention. I also hate the constant YouTube zoom-in-and-out for comedic effect.

Linus also did a video about some Razer headphones with a bullshit title, heard somewhere else that Razer put haptic feedback in headphones so I assume that's what it was, but I don't want to watch the video.

#Muricaparrotgang

You forgot my new favorite..."AsUs LeFt Us UnSuPeRvIsEd WiTh ThEiR nEw GrApHiCs CaRd..." Apparently the new thing is to completely make up BS narratives and manufacture drama to get views.

Seriously though, the last like 7 titles have had an ellipsis at the end of them, that's my shtick...

6 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

After a short period of time (a week maybe) make an addendum to the title so it says what the video is actually about.  That way, a month from now, I can look up "linus tech tips nvidia freesync support" (or something) and actually find the correct video. 

I think @LinusTech has already said that when they change the titles after the fact it messes with their SEO or something. From my understanding it's something they've thought about and considered.

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

God, I HATE that guy. He's the one I was trying to mention. I also hate the constant YouTube zoom-in-and-out for comedic effect.

Please stop this. You're derailing my thread.

2 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

It's a business, man. Gotta adapt. My titles on my channel are so dry and straightforward (or, at least I try to) that I leave nothing to the imagination.

I understand it's a business. Please read my first post, I'm making a suggestion that I believe will benefit everyone.

2 hours ago, imreloadin said:

You forgot my new favorite..."AsUs LeFt Us UnSuPeRvIsEd WiTh ThEiR nEw GrApHiCs CaRd..." Apparently the new thing is to completely make up BS narratives and manufacture drama to get views.

That video was admittedly a little cringy, but I don't want this to be a complaints thread. That will just get locked and disregarded.

2 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I think @LinusTech has already said that when they change the titles after the fact it messes with their SEO or something. From my understanding it's something they've thought about and considered.

Well these titles are in no way SEO as it is. That's kind of my point.

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's because their goal isn't SEO, it's clickbait. The users that know what a 2080 Ti is most likely already know about LTT and most already watch the show. These titles are supposed to "entice" new viewers in that search for click-bait phrases and words.

40 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Maybe so, maybe SEO was the wrong word. The algorithm doesn't like when they change titles after the fact, it's unfavorable.

trendning.png.932fa8628a74e6d88337e78cafa29943.png

This is in Australia, the videos have been performing well. Though this isn't as bad as some of the other titles.

Linus commented on these concerns on another thread, I'll have it linked.

Linus: 'Our initial strategy was to start with a "clickier" title and replace it with an "SEO optimized" one after the first wave of viewers.. But over time the importance of SEO has given way to the importance of attracting clicks for content that is shown to potential viewers algorithmically

'Since we made the titling/thumbnail change about 2 years ago, we've experienced phenomenal growth. You might not like the stupid titles and thumbnails (neither do I) but we are running a business here and running a (successful) business means following DATA, not FEELINGS. 

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/linustechtips

'We are having our best month ever (tracking over 90M views for December) by a country mile. I don't like that it works, but it works.'

My rule of thumb is to skip over videos that can't be bothered to tell me what I'm about to watch based on the title. Most of LTT's videos fall under this category lately...

Sadly, youtube and the general audience seem to prefer garbage titles and thumbnails, so that's what we get.

Just wanted to add this to the discussion...

CES 2015:

Spoiler

unknown.png

CES 2017:

Spoiler

unknown.png

CES 2019 (so far):

Spoiler

unknown.png

I definitely would rather have 2015 titles/thumbnails over 2019 titles/thumbnails.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 hour ago, TheKDub said:

Just wanted to add this to the discussion...

CES 2015:

Hide contents

unknown.png

CES 2017:

Hide contents

unknown.png

CES 2019 (so far):

Hide contents

unknown.png

I definitely would rather have 2015 titles/thumbnails over 2019 titles/thumbnails.

even the 2017 were much better