New to Linux: problems with installing programs

Hello all!

I am new to Linux and I am having some problems. I have a laptop that runs linux (in duelboot) and I wanted to install some programs but it kept giving me some errors.

When I typed the command in the terminal to install a program it said:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

Not really knowing what it meant I typed in the command that it said I must run.

Than it said this:

Setting up bubblewrap (0.2.1-1ubuntu0.1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2) ...
dpkg: error processing package libgnome-desktop-3-17:amd64 (--configure):
 package is in a very bad inconsistent state; you should
 reinstall it before attempting configuration
Errors were encountered while processing:
 libgnome-desktop-3-17:amd64

As you can see in the end it gave me too more errors. I did a bit of research online but could't figure out what was the problem.

Anyone that can help me?

Thanks in advance!

Greeting

42thagmer

Also does anyone know any good forum for Linux discussions?

You could try:

dpkg --purge libgnome-desktop-3-17
apt install libgnome-desktop-3-17

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

The first error means that during the installation of something, the package manager was interrupted. Maybe you started an update, then forgot and shut the computer down, or something like that. Because of this, one package was partially installed and is now corrupted. Try reinstalling that package

sudo apt install libgnome-desktop

and see if that solves the issue.

3 minutes ago, 42thgamer said:

Also does anyone know any good forum for Linux discussions?

There are reddit, ask-ubuntu, linuxquestions.org, forum.level1techs.com just off the top of my head.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You could try:

apt install libgnome-desktop-3-17

Okay, @Sauron said something simular. But without the -desktop-3-17. What is the deference?

1 minute ago, 42thgamer said:

Okay, @Sauron said something simular. But without the -desktop-3-17. What is the deference?

It's just the specific package version, it's not strictly necessary for apt to find it and install it. I did say libgnome-desktop though.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The first error means that during the installation of something, the package manager was interrupted. Maybe you started an update, then forgot and shut the computer down, or something like that. Because of this, one package was partially installed and is now corrupted. Try reinstalling that package

and see if that solves the issue.

There are reddit, ask-ubuntu, linuxquestions.org, forum.level1techs.com just off the top of my head.

Okay, thanks I will try that.

And I will give them a look and see witch one I like the most! Do you have any preferences? I know linustechtips.com is really active and friendly but I am not sure if it focused enough on Linux.

2 minutes ago, 42thgamer said:

And I will give them a look and see witch one I like the most! Do you have any preferences? I know linustechtips.com is really active and friendly but I am not sure if it focused enough on Linux.

It depends on the issue I'm having, usually I can get by with existing questions or reading the arch wiki though

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 1/10/2019 at 11:10 AM, Sauron said:

It's just the specific package version, it's not strictly necessary for apt to find it and install it. I did say libgnome-desktop though.

Okay, and sorry did not gave it a good enough of a look. So it knows automaticity the right version?

On 1/10/2019 at 11:13 AM, Sauron said:

It depends on the issue I'm having, usually I can get by with existing questions or reading the arch wiki though

I have been reading some older post on problems to, but I find them very hard to understand. I really am a beginner but I found a little tutorial that I am going to follow. Hopefully that will help. Thanks for all the help and sorry if I am being stupid.

1 minute ago, 42thgamer said:

Okay, and sorry did not gave it a good enough of a look. So it knows automaticity the right version?

It should, if it doesn't rest assured it will let you know.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

When I run:

I get this error n the end

dpkg: error processing package libgnome-desktop-3-17:amd64 (--purge):
 dependency problems - not removing

And when I run:

I get this in the end:
E: Unable to locate package libgnome-desktop

Any idea what that means and what I should do? Haven't looked it up yet. I am going to do that know.

Update: I searched for the 'Unable to locate package" thing and found a lot of things and tried a few of them but everything they let me test seemed fine.

First they said I should check if the package existed. Than I needed to update the package list and test it but with the linee to test it it said this :bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'.

It still does not work. I used this post.

Are you sure your hard disk isn't faulty? This seems really strange to me

Try sudo apt-get -f install first

Then sudo apt-get reinstall libgnome-desktop-3-17

If you uninstall it you would break the desktop, and you will need to install ubuntu-desktop metapackage again, you can also try that though 

Edited by Guest

39 minutes ago, 42thgamer said:

When I run:

I get this error n the end

dpkg: error processing package libgnome-desktop-3-17:amd64 (--purge):
 dependency problems - not removing

And when I run:

I get this in the end:
E: Unable to locate package libgnome-desktop

Any idea what that means and what I should do? Haven't looked it up yet. I am going to do that know.

Update: I searched for the 'Unable to locate package" thing and found a lot of things and tried a few of them but everything they let me test seemed fine.

First they said I should check if the package existed. Than I needed to update the package list and test it but with the linee to test it it said this :bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'.

It still does not work. I used this post.

I looked for the package on the website and it looks like -3-17 is actually part of the name... in that case just run apt install libgnome-desktop-3-17 instead.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 1/10/2019 at 1:54 PM, Sauron said:

I looked for the package on the website and it looks like -3-17 is actually part of the name... in that case just run apt install libgnome-desktop-3-17 instead.

I typed that in and it showed this in the end:

E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I typed in I tried that and I think it ficed it.

I don't really understand what it did. And how do I test that everything works again?

Thanks for all the help btw you are amazing!

On 1/10/2019 at 1:39 PM, Lukyp said:

Are you sure your hard disk isn't faulty? This seems really strange to me
Try sudo apt-get -f install first
Then sudo apt-get reinstall libgnome-desktop-3-17
If you uninstall it you would break the desktop, and you will need to install ubuntu-desktop metapackage again, you can also try that though 

I typed apt install libgnomedesktop-3-17 and got:

E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I don't really understand what it did. And how do I test that everything works again?

Why is it so strange? And I don't think my disk is faulty, everything runs fine except when I try to install things. Also Windows works fine on the laptop.

14 minutes ago, 42thgamer said:

I typed that in and it showed this in the end:

If it doesn't complain anymore, it's fixed.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

If it doesn't complain anymore, it's fixed.

Okay,thanks for all the help! And sorry for the bad English and the stupid questions! You are awesome!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 5:47 AM, georgezilla said:

" ... When I typed the command in the terminal to install a program ... "

I have just one question.

WHY?

Is the program not available in your distros package manager?

Is it not available in you distros official ( unofficial ) repos?

I don't know what distro you are using, but whichever one it is, it has a built in way to do it without using the CLI.

ONLY AS A LAST RESORT ( or if your effing crazy like me ) should anyone reasonably new to Linux, should you use the CLI for much of anything ( and then only if by doing so, WHEN you break shit, your are ok with it. Because you will break shit. And YOU have! ).

I'm in no way a Linux guru. Not by a long way. But I have been using Linux for ..... 

Um, let's see now ....

OH GOD!! 22+ years!!!!!

And I only use the CLI IF I have to. And usually for things that I know I'm not likely to break anything ( which I still do on occasions ). The CLI is a wonderful tool. It really is. But it should not be used ( often ) by a new user if it can at all be avoided.

The more you use the terminal the more you will learn imho, and I see no problem that OP tried to install stuff with the terminal

sudo just stop giving me errors and install the goddamn thing. 

Reminds me of my first time trying Linux. I atucally type that command out of frustration 

Sudo make me a sandwich