Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Romano2K

Clickbait titles and thumbnails

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello!

I've been a loyal subscriber of the Linus Tech Tips channel for years even though I've never posted on the forum.

I'm posting for the first time to share my opinion before it's too late.

I just wanted to say that I never click on content with clickbait titles or dumb thumbnails by principle. Unfortunately, more and more Linus Tech Tips videos on your YouTube channel have those.

Here are a few examples:

I don't click:

• We NEVER expected NVIDIA to allow this...
  • How has EVERYONE overlooked this??
  • Why would you even…?
  • Razer thought this was a good idea??
  • I can't believe this.

I click:

• Alienware's CRAZY upgradeable laptop
  • The OLED Gaming TV from ALIENWARE!!
  • Preparing for 10 GIGABIT Internet! What Could Go Wrong? (even though I could do without the "What could go wrong")
  • Electrical Wiring for the Gaming Center - What could go wrong? (I see a pattern…)
  • MacBook Air 2018 – A PC Guy's Perspective
  • "Water" Cooled Smartphone - S#!t Manufacturers Say
  • Are Walmart Gaming PCs actually THAT bad?

In general thumbnails have all been dumb for a few months now, with the "mandatory" funny and/or exaggerated face and the white outline. Thumbnails used two years ago with just the products were fine!

You have 8 million subscribers interested in computers, I'm not sure that they need these tactics to watch your videos.

I may be the only one to feel that way, and if so I would understand that you ignore this "rant", but I hope that I'm not alone, that other people feel the same and that hopefully you'll adapt to this portion of your audience.

I still like many of your videos, I hope you'll keep posting good ones!

Its been explained in the past already, the man himself did. It really just is to attract new veiwers. So they are sadly here to stay :( 

Main Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Vega 8 Mobile,12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 250 GB 960 Evo NVME PCIE SSD  1 TB HDD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

Sleeper PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, MSI Armour 2X GTX 950 , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That) 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is intrested! 

2 minutes ago, Romano2K said:

I'm posting for the first time to share my opinion before it's too late.

Seeing as we've been getting threads like this for a year now, I would say it's already too late!!! :D

NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 1x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

The Community StandardsPSU Tier list | PSU Whitelist

and many people have expressed their disapproval of these tactics. yet the numbers don't lie, these clickbait titles work and as long as they bring in more clicks and cash LTT is going to keep using them.

LMG is a business, eventough their videos are all pretty laidback and stuff, don;t forget that Linus has a whole staff of people that need to eat.

X399M Taichi - 1920X - Titan X Pascal - GTX 1070 FE - Dominator Plats SE Contrast - InWin 301 - EVGA 850 G2 - Full Custom Watercooling

BlackMac buildlog Woody Buildlog 60% Keyboard Buildlog

Owner of maybe the smallest Threadripper box on the forum? HMU if you think i'm wrong!

10 minutes ago, Romano2K said:

Preparing for 10 GIGABIT Internet! What Could Go Wrong? (even though I could do without the "What could go wrong")

eh, artistic foreshadowing o_o

Welcome to Youtube and the ever changing Algorithm for showing videos to new viewers on the front page. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"The Angry Cup o` Joe" v2.0

Ryzen 1800x @ 4.0ghz | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Flare X 14-14-14-34 3200mhz 32gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 512gb Intel 600p

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Phantex Enthoo Evolv | Custom front cover from mnpctech.com | Custom Top cover from Modmymods.com

EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair ML140 Pro White LED case fans | 3x Corsair ML120 Pro White LED Case Fans | Cablemod 30cm RGB LED strip

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

I don't like the clickbait titles either, can't totally blame LTT as apparently Youtube wants it and it's better revenue that way.

really wish youtube would stop boosting angry and controversial titles though ._.

i don't get why the algorithm can scan videos for copyrighted material to autostrike, and not scan it for the content itself to make suggestion decisions

On Floatplane the clickbait titles are virtually nonexistent. There might be one or two here or there, but it's much better than the mess on YouTube. So if you're looking to escape the clickbait garbage, that's an option.

† Christian †

Specs:

CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W |

Certifications: Testout PC-Pro, Network-Pro, & Security-Pro; CompTIA A+ 801 & 802; Certiport IC3 GS5; Microsoft Technology Associate: Software Development Fundamentals.

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

On Floatplane the clickbait titles are virtually nonexistent. There might be one or two here or there, but it's much better than the mess on YouTube.

what do first timers or channels outside of floatplane have in the meantime? ._.

7 hours ago, Romano2K said:

I just wanted to say that I never click on content with clickbait titles or dumb thumbnails by principle. Unfortunately, more and more Linus Tech Tips videos on your YouTube channel have those.

You should just stop watching LTT all together, thats what a bunch of us did, including me. Linus is trying to cater to a certain demographic age.

So, this just happened. Improvement nonetheless. I can live with that. I hands down refuse to watch previous videos with no mention of the product in the title. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

So, this just happened. Improvement nonetheless. I can live with that. I hands down refuse to watch previous videos with no mention of the product in the title. 

its a rewind to almost 2017 titles. so i guess that is a step in the right direction, but i doubt it is going to continue

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to feel that way!

I'm sorry if I posted a dupe, I haven't been using the forum.

Regarding the "need" to use clickbait titles to pay the bills, I'll just say that Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) has the same number of subscribers (7,7 million subscribers for him versus 7,9 for LTT) and that he makes as much, if not more, views, without any clickbait title and with just a few subtle funny faces and the occasional outlined "?".

You can always make more views, just use girls in swim suit with huge boobs as thumbnails. I think it's a matter of balance between quality and money.

If Linus has already been "warned" and hasn't changed anything, I'm sorry but I'm unsubsribing right away. Obviously as a nerd in his 30s I'm not his target anymore.

I Don't mind the thumbnails, but this is the problem, the titles, how can you even know what's the video about? even if you search gtx 2060 review the video still wouldn't show up

@LinusTech

image.png.6c1b7a35c73c7a36f034ddbf7f24230a.png

The thumbnails won't even wont show up in youtube search 

image.png.86cbeb1156ca19cb9ee56a7a251e8dcc.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

Intel i7 4790K (4.0 GHz) | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1866 2x8GB | Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II OC | Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB | Corsair RM 850W | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM | Logitech® Wireless Combo MK330 | Cooler Master HAF XM | Dell S2240L 60Hz 21.5 IPS | 

PCPartPicker 

3 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

even if you search gtx 2060 review the video still wouldn't show up

As protest against LTT's clickbait titles, I don't watch any LTT video that has a clickbait title lol.

Desktop Computer Specs: Intel Core i7 6700K @4.7GHz 1.32V (~80°C running Prime95, Cinebench Score: 1030 cb) || be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 || ASUS Z270-WS ATX || G.Skill DDR4-2133 13-13-13-31 1.2V (4x8GB) || ASUS STRIX GTX 970 (1500MHz core, 7750MHz memory, ~80°C at 100% load) || Samsung 860 EVO 1TB & SanDisk X300s 128GB || WD Blue 3.5" 1TB (7.2K RPM) & Toshiba 2.5" 750GB (5.4K RPM) || Corsair 400C (Black) || Corsair RM650 80+ Gold || Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum || Logitech G710+ w/ Cherry MX Browns || SteelSeries QcK || Samsung 23.6" 1080p 60Hz PLS (OC'd to 75Hz) || Bose SoundSport Earbuds || Windows 10 Pro & Windows Server 2016 (FTP Server) || iPhone 8+ Red™ & OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition || Do you watch LTT's Content?

I have to agree, I find myself watching fewer and fewer LTT videos.

I see a lot of the other channels I'm subscribed too are also going overboard with the thumbnails.. It's really ridiculous, that being said. All the other channels still keep proper titles... They don't use words like "Why would you even." and so forth, it for example says "GeForce 1070 - Review".. Though with a stupid thumbnail, but it keeps the title understandable.

20 hours ago, TheKDub said:

So if you're looking to escape the clickbait garbage, that's an option.

Why pay money for a bunch of LTT videos, when you can just watch a different YouTube channel with non-clickbait video titles?

Desktop Computer Specs: Intel Core i7 6700K @4.7GHz 1.32V (~80°C running Prime95, Cinebench Score: 1030 cb) || be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 || ASUS Z270-WS ATX || G.Skill DDR4-2133 13-13-13-31 1.2V (4x8GB) || ASUS STRIX GTX 970 (1500MHz core, 7750MHz memory, ~80°C at 100% load) || Samsung 860 EVO 1TB & SanDisk X300s 128GB || WD Blue 3.5" 1TB (7.2K RPM) & Toshiba 2.5" 750GB (5.4K RPM) || Corsair 400C (Black) || Corsair RM650 80+ Gold || Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum || Logitech G710+ w/ Cherry MX Browns || SteelSeries QcK || Samsung 23.6" 1080p 60Hz PLS (OC'd to 75Hz) || Bose SoundSport Earbuds || Windows 10 Pro & Windows Server 2016 (FTP Server) || iPhone 8+ Red™ & OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition || Do you watch LTT's Content?

8 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

even if you search gtx 2060 review the video still wouldn't show up

Well, I wonder why...

If you search "RTX 2060" the LTT video does show... You just have to scroll down to the 24th video in the results to find it.

image.png.7bc4880e6b8e85f501340de30e1ca5a0.png

... Or at least I think the "Why would you even...?" video is about the RTX 2060. I can't tell.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, Geography said:

Why pay money for a bunch of LTT videos, when you can just watch a different YouTube channel with non-clickbait video titles?

It's simply an option.

Nobody forces you to pay for FloatPlane, nobody forces you to be subscribed on YouTube.

† Christian †

Specs:

CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W |

Certifications: Testout PC-Pro, Network-Pro, & Security-Pro; CompTIA A+ 801 & 802; Certiport IC3 GS5; Microsoft Technology Associate: Software Development Fundamentals.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:17 AM, Romano2K said:

I click:

Why bother?

Its just a waste of time!

Would you trust a person who steals from stores?