Should these fans suck or blow???

Thinblueline84

What's up everyone? So I just build my first PC in an Corsair Obsidian 500d SE case. It's got 6 total 120mm LL Corsair fans. I mounted my Corsair H150i pro behind the front three 120mm fans so you could still see it's RGB glory from the front and there is plenty of room in this case for a 360mm radiator in this front position. The top two 120mm fans are currently blowing air out. I am wondering since the CPU is not air cooled with that extra fan, if I should have the top two 120mm fans sucking air instead of blowing air out to help cool down the RTX 2080 ti I have in there. I also have a single 120mm exhaust fan on the back of course. So to recap...should my top two 120mm fans continue to blow air out or should I change it so they suck air in? Thanks guys in advance!

Usually you want positive air pressure so sucking in might be a little better, although you're gonna want a dust filter over the top, and the filter will get dusty pretty quick, so keep that in mind.

hi

Intake!

Suck air in.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

15 minutes ago, Thinblueline84 said:

What's up everyone? So I just build my first PC in an Corsair Obsidian 500d SE case. It's got 6 total 120mm LL Corsair fans. I mounted my Corsair H150i pro behind the front three 120mm fans so you could still see it's RGB glory from the front and there is plenty of room in this case for a 360mm radiator in this front position. The top two 120mm fans are currently blowing air out. I am wondering since the CPU is not air cooled with that extra fan, if I should have the top two 120mm fans sucking air instead of blowing air out to help cool down the RTX 2080 ti I have in there. I also have a single 120mm exhaust fan on the back of course. So to recap...should my top two 120mm fans continue to blow air out or should I change it so they suck air in? Thanks guys in advance!

I'd have them running as exhausts. If they're run as intakes, you're going to have serious dust issues. Push-pull on a 25mm-thick rad with six fans strapped to it more or less guarantees positive pressure in your situation, but if you're concerned about it, slap a dust filter on the rear fan and make it an intake, with your two top fans as exhausts. Remember, while positive pressure is good for dust building, all that hot air needs a way out. Eight fans in against one out is, imo, too much positive pressure.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

but if you're concerned about it, slap a dust filter on the rear fan and make it an intake, with your two top fans as exhausts.

This is what I think I'm going to do. Heat rises after all so keep the top fans as exhausts and cold air coming in front both sides on as intakes. Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Thinblueline84 said:

This is what I think I'm going to do. Heat rises after all so keep the top fans as exhausts and cold air coming in front both sides on as intakes. Thanks!

No problem. If you're sticking your PC in a place where the top airflow won't have an easy way to get out (like inside a desk), I wouldn't do the rear as an intake. You'd just be pulling that hot air right back in.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.