Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Phishing Emails - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deus Voltage

Jensen Huang (Nvidia CEO) Responds to AMD, " it's underwhelming-- We'll crush it"

10 hours ago, Deus Voltage said:

"The performance is lousy and there’s nothing new,” Huang said. “[There’s] no ray tracing, no AI. It’s 7nm with HBM memory that barely keeps up with a 2080. And if we turn on DLSS we’ll crush it. And if we turn on ray tracing we’ll crush it.”

Then why haven't you?

PCworld  released an article last night detailing Jensen's response to AMD. Nvidia's CEO seems very dismissive of AMD, stating the following: 

"The performance is lousy and there’s nothing new,” Huang said. “[There’s] no unique Nvidia technology, no gimmicks. It’s 7nm with HBM memory that barely keeps up with a 2080. Power usage doesn't matter to anyone cool. And if we turn on our most innovative feature in 10 years we’ll crush it. And if we turn on rendering thats only available for Nvidia cards with unique cores we’ll crush it. Let's see this AMD card try PhysX haha”

When asked about the launch of the AMD card itself, he said the following:

"It’s a weird launch, maybe they thought of it this morning,” Huang quipped before laughing halfheartedly at his own dig and mentioning how he likes to do the same. Still, it’s clear what Huang thinks as he again reiterated: “It’s just not a copy of Steve Jobs, why would they bother? Our launches take at least two days to think up. We need to innovate with technologies that impact the tech world for at least a few weeks. Remember HairWorks? I'd be surprised."

Jensen was also somewhat dismissive of FreeSync:

“We never completed,” Huang said of upcoming FreeSync support. “(FreeSync) was never proven to work. As you know, we "invented" (Finger hands) the area of adaptive sync. The truth is most of the FreeSync monitors do not work. They do not even work with AMD’s graphics cards - fake news. Terrible. Sad! Unless they are Nvidia approved.” Huang desperately quipped, "Make sure to spend the extra $200 to get G-Sync. We need the money."

8 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Get a case that doesn't suck at airflow. Also, my 5820K and GTX 1080Ti also heat up a room quite a lot...

Even if the case had terrible airflow (it doesn't), still doesn't change the fact that power consumption comes at a cost: Heat.

Higher power consumption=more heat output. Even a GTX 970 can become noticeable when running at well over 1400MHz (around 200W power drawn).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well if you go on past history i would say Jenson Huang is correct but then again hes gone abit overboard on it lol and if i was the AMD CEO i would be thinking i would love to them him eat his words. 

11 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

And when considering what VII brings to the table, Vega went from being a dumpster fire to something i might actually buy.

Is it that appealing? If it was priced bit lower for a more anticipated price/performance ratio then sure... not that Nvidia pricing is an excuse for it either. And if someone needs a card with 16GB of VRAM there are Vega FE selling on ebay second hand for a quite nice prices, similar to like 1080Ti which will be better for pure gaming (and with FreeSync! :D). It looks like in EU Radeon 7 will be twice the price I payed for used Vega 64 if not more.

If Navi will be actual new and better arch and not just 7nm Polaris and AMD won't increase prices then RX 580/590 replacement should have like +40%-50% and start cannibalizing Radeon 7 with that price disparity. But it may turn out Navi is just 7nm usual GPU so +20% over Polaris and without ground breaking prices. Looks like, and some press is already saying that AMD is still behind on Navi and maybe even to early for 16 core Ryzen to show and so on.

8 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Is huang really that old, both look to be about the same age. The only explanation for him to be dr. Su's uncle and, she to be her niece is, on huang's side, he must have a way older bro or sis, who is married, had a child (dr. Lisa su), while he was born late.

Maybe he is actually older, but still looks young, from all that ray tracing he kept for himself for all those years, until he decided to share it. 😛

According to this source https://babeltechreviews.com/nvidias-ceo-is-the-uncle-of-amds-ceo/

Technically, Lisa Su’s grandfather is Jen-Hsun Huang’s uncle. They are not exactly niece and uncle, but close relatives.

There you have it.

Maybe Jensen has a little on that Benjamin Button going on or maybe you're right, ray tracing is a fountain of youth, somehow. 😂

6 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

holy shit .... that's not some troll comments, they ARE related.... 

WOW.

Yeah it's weird how no one really knows about this. The AMD CEO and the NVIDIA CEO are actually related, they mustn't get along though 😂.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Huang: "They do not even work with AMD’s graphics cards - fake news. Terrible. Sad! Unless they are Nvidia approved.” Huang desperately quipped, "Make sure to spend the extra $200 to get G-Sync. We need the money."

I don't know much about Jensen to be honest, but this thread and the above snip makes him come across as very unlikeable.

The thing is, he isn't necessarily wrong that basically no effort went into the 'Radeon 7', all they did is just take one of their server GPUs, slap on a new cooler and ask Apple for a name.

And lets be real, if you can just take what is essentially a 'defective' card and rebrand it as a pretty good gaming card then you're doing something right.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 7700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 1TB Snail Drive, 256GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti, 15.6" 1080p 120Hz Screen (Why did they even bother with only a 1050Ti, it can barely push 60fps)

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, Nvidia GT120 512MB. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

Vodafone Smart Platinum 7 - Has never seen a Vodafone Sim

7 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I made my snippets up from the original quotes. It does just seem like hes trying to say garbage about AMD.

Even if you did make it up, this is the same guy who said:

6 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Yeah it's weird how no one really knows about this. The AMD CEO and the NVIDIA CEO are actually related, they mustn't get along though 😂.

nah I think most of CEOs only cares about money... so... I am pretty sure that both of them are rich.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

11 hours ago, yolosnail said:

The thing is, he isn't necessarily wrong that basically no effort went into the 'Radeon 7', all they did is just take one of their server GPUs, slap on a new cooler and ask Apple for a name.

And lets be real, if you can just take what is essentially a 'defective' card and rebrand it as a pretty good gaming card then you're doing something right.

What has happened I think is AMD never thought they will be able to sell this profitably as a gaming card.

But since Nvidia has pushed up prices so much (the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080ti are so expensive) that it allows AMD room to sell this as a high end gaming card at $700.

It surprised AMD themselves, so Nvidia's continuous price inflation every generation has benefited AMD this time, although it is really damaging PC gaming overall.

7 minutes ago, Humbug said:

What has happened I think is AMD never thought they will be able to sell this profitably as a gaming card.

But since Nvidia has pushed up prices so much (the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080ti are so expensive) that it allows AMD room to sell this as a high end gaming card at $700.

It surprised AMD themselves, so Nvidia's continuous price inflation every generation has benefited AMD this time, although it is really damaging PC gaming overall.

Maybe, but vega basically sold out at he same price when nvidia was cheaper in some places.  I think the demand for GPU's right now is high across the board. Having seen this,  It wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia's prices and tier structure has little to do with AMD and more to do with knowing what the market will pay.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Maybe, but vega basically sold out at he same price when nvidia was cheaper in some places.  I think the demand for GPU's right now is high across the board. Having seen this,  It wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia's prices and tier structure has little to do with AMD and more to do with knowing what the market will pay.

I think Vega sold out also during the mining craze. Miners were buying and gamers were desperate, and HBM production kept Vega supply limited.

You are correct that Nvidia's pricing is (within reason) dictated by how much the market will play. Obviously if AMD launches the Radeon 7 at $450 then Nvidia cannnot ignore it. But for the most part they rely on their brand name and their current strategy is to inflate prices every successive generation.

GTX 960 --> GTX 1060 --> RTX 2060

GTX 970 --> GTX 1070 --> RTX 2070

GTX 980 --> GTX 1080 --> RTX 2080

It's pretty alarming. It's bad for PC gaming. But they know people will pay and it increases their margins on the short term. 

AMD on the other hand have less brand name recognition so they set their MSRPs by looking at Nvidia and then going a bit lower. With a GPU like the 7nm Vega with stacks of HBM 2.0 which is so expensive to produce AMD expected that they can only make money from this by selling it as an instinct card. But then Nvidia became so expensive that it allowed AMD to slip this one in and they probably feel it's better to maintain market presence in the high end.

8 minutes ago, Humbug said:

I think Vega sold out also during the mining craze. Miners were buying and gamers were desperate, and HBM production kept Vega supply limited.

You are correct that Nvidia's pricing is (within reason) dictated by how much the market will play. Obviously if AMD launches the Radeon 7 at $450 then Nvidia cannnot ignore it. But for the most part they rely on their brand name and their current strategy is to inflate prices every successive generation.

It's pretty alarming. It's bad for PC gaming. But they know people will pay and it increases their margins on the short term. 

AMD on the other hand have less brand name recognition so they set their MSRPs by looking at Nvidia and then going a bit lower. With a GPU like the 7nm Vega with stacks of HBM 2.0 which is so expensive to produce AMD expected that they can only make money from this by selling it as an instinct card. But then Nvidia became so expensive that it allowed AMD to slip this one in and they probably feel it's better to maintain market presence in the high end.

bugger, I just wrote out a nice post then closed the tab like a moron.  Agree and disagree.  AMD definitely need to get some top end market presence though.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

12 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Even if you did make it up, this is the same guy who said:

I wish people stopped quoting him on that without proper context. 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

32 minutes ago, Humbug said:

I blame the price increases that both Nvidia AMD have done mostly on the mining craze, people were willing to pay crazy prices then, and most are now because GPU's are cheap compared to how expensive cards  were during the mining craze. AMD is a business too and they aren't in the business of caring any more about the consumer than Nvidia is.  AMD took workstation chips that were otherwise defective and charges $699 for them,so they could definitely be undercutting while still having a competitive card. Its just pure profit for AMD, and piles of money if they sell the cards to Apple too.

Sure the 20 series looks expensive when you just compare their numbering scheme, but the 2060 performs about as well as a 1070, a 2070 is a bit better than a 1080, and a 2080 is better than a 1080ti.

6 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

I wish people stopped quoting him on that without proper context. 

never going to happen on the internet.

"The performance is lousy and there’s nothing new,” Huang said. “[There’s] no ray tracing, no AI. It’s 7nm with HBM memory that barely keeps up with a 2080. And if we turn on DLSS we’ll crush it. And if we turn on ray tracing we’ll crush it.”

I like this quote a lot. It says all you need to know about him. Granted it is not the product that we had hoped for (too expensive) but he chooses to focus on the technologies such as DLSS and ray tracing that even his own products don't do. Then he proceeds to insult his own products by claiming that 2080 performance is lousy. Bravo Jensen!

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

37 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I blame the price increases that both Nvidia AMD have done mostly on the mining craze, people were willing to pay crazy prices then, and most are now because GPU's are cheap compared to how expensive cards  were during the mining craze. AMD is a business too and they aren't in the business of caring any more about the consumer than Nvidia is.  AMD took workstation chips that were otherwise defective and charges $699 for them,so they could definitely be undercutting while still having a competitive card. Its just pure profit for AMD, and piles of money if they sell the cards to Apple too.

Sure the 20 series looks expensive when you just compare their numbering scheme, but the 2060 performs about as well as a 1070, a 2070 is a bit better than a 1080, and a 2080 is better than a 1080ti.

And a 6600k performs worse than a 7600k and worse than 8600k but you cant raise the prices because technology upgrades and force to buy removing the previous product, 

Those 20X0 prices would be ok if we could buy a 1080-1080ti the entire 20series lifespan , but guess what, you wont be allowed to buy a 10gen soon :( 

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

I blame the price increases that both Nvidia AMD have done mostly on the mining craze, people were willing to pay crazy prices then, and most are now because GPU's are cheap compared to how expensive cards  were during the mining craze.

Agreed. I see 3 factors in the continuous destructive price escalation

-mining craze

-Nvidia's strategy to keep increasing prices every generation

-AMD's failure to offer proper competition in the high end (took 1.5 years to match the 1080 and almost 2 years to beat the 1080ti)

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

AMD is a business too and they aren't in the business of caring any more about the consumer than Nvidia is.  AMD took workstation chips that were otherwise defective and charges $699 for them,so they could definitely be undercutting while still having a competitive card. Its just pure profit for AMD, and piles of money if they sell the cards to Apple too.

Oh absolutely. AMD is here to make money too.

However if they could have mustered enough production it would have been a good strategic move  on the longterm to launch the Radeon 7 GPU at USD 500-550 and market it as the savior of high end PC gamer bringing back normal prices. The community would have eaten that up. Let's face it when prices and performance are near competitive people most buy Nvidia. Right now people are not happy with Nvidia due to the continuous price escalation putting good hardware out of reach for many. So AMD could have maneuvered that situation to build the Radeon brand and endear gamers to them. 

Could have been a chance to take a short term hit on margins in order to build their brand, and get some penetration with the high end PC community.

7 hours ago, Carclis said:

I like this quote a lot. It says all you need to know about him. Granted it is not the product that we had hoped for (too expensive) but he chooses to focus on the technologies such as DLSS and ray tracing that even his own products don't do. Then he proceeds to insult his own products by claiming that 2080 performance is lousy. Bravo Jensen!

Its not that hes calling the 2080 performance lousy, hes calling a 7nm card with 16gb of HBM2, a higher power draw, and no transistors spent on RTX or Tensor Cores, having 2080 performance lousy. Which it is!

9 hours ago, Humbug said:

I think you are 100% correct on this. I was trying to find the HBM2 costs, and it looks like it has to be at least $200-300 for 16gb. So yeah if Nvidia kept the $550 price point for the 2080, AMD would likely not have bothered having a Radeon VII as they likely would be losing money on each board sold.