So my Kraken X62 died...

Kaita
Go to solution Solved by Kaita,
7 hours ago, zombieshy_guy81 said:

If the water "seems to be flowing" then it doesn't sound like its dead to me but maybe it's clogged? im not entirely sure but as for a water gurgling noise, i used to have an AIO that made a kinda of gurgling noise when i first booted the system up but then stopped so you may have some bubbles in your loop? this post has me a bit bamboozled ?

It’s weird! The moment I run CAM the water gurgling was loud and temps went back to normal and the gurgling stopped. I even kept the PC on for like 13 hours (just came back now) and it’s idling at 22. So yeah probably was air bubbles or something. Either way, thanks everyone for your replies and have a good day/evening ?.

I just came back home and noticed that my PC was making "water noises"? I don't know how to describe it but the pump seems to be dead. I've also noticed that one of the tubes of the AIO is kinda warm, so I'm not exactly sure if it's the pump or not. Now I'm already looking at buying a replacement but I'm just making sure if I could do something to make this thing work again. I'm kinda bummed because I liked it... Anyway, I've two questions:

1. Is there a way to fix it? The pump seems to be "working" as the tubes are hot and water is flowing, I don't know really. 

2. If it doesn't work, should I switch to air cooling? All I'm looking for is silence + a way to keep my 4 Ghz 1.37v overclock. Also looking for AIO recommendations. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

6 minutes ago, Kaita said:

Is there a way to fix it?

Generally speaking, no. When an AIO dies, it's dead. If it's still under warranty though, you should get a new one. Even if it's just outside warranty, NZXT might throw you a bone. It's worth contacting them at the very least. That said... Is your CPU getting hot? Noises might mean the coolant has evaporated a little, or maybe the pump is on it's way out. If it still keeps your CPU cool then it's not dead dead.

6 minutes ago, Kaita said:

If it doesn't work, should I switch to air cooling?

That's your choice to make. All the air cooling fan bois will say yes, obviously. If you do, an NH-D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4 would be your best bet. If you stick with water cooling, I'd spring for another 280mm rad, over a 240.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

13 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Generally speaking, no. When an AIO dies, it's dead. If it's still under warranty though, you should get a new one. Even if it's just outside warranty, NZXT might throw you a bone. It's worth contacting them at the very least. That said... Is your CPU getting hot? Noises might mean the coolant has evaporated a little, or maybe the pump is on it's way out. If it still keeps your CPU cool then it's not dead dead.

That's your choice to make. All the air cooling fan bois will say yes, obviously. If you do, an NH-D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4 would be your best bet. If you stick with water cooling, I'd spring for another 280mm rad, over a 240.

Okay I've booted my PC like 3 times, and the radiator fans were louder (due to the higher temps) and just shut down 2 mins after booting to Windows. BIOS says my temps are 75ish but the pump seems to be working. I took out the radiator, flipped it, reseated the cooler, and booted up again. BIOS still reports high temps but it was like 60c so I continue to Windows and ran CAM, and notice that the pump made loud water noises for a couple minutes before going quiet again. Temps went back to normal. Whats happening now?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Just now, Kaita said:

Okay I've booted my PC like 3 times, and the radiator fans were louder (due to the higher temps) and just shut down 2 mins after booting to Windows. BIOS says my temps are 75ish but I'm the pump seems to be working. I took out the radiator, flipped it, reseated the cooler, and booted up again. BIOS still reports high temps but it was like 60c so I continue to Windows and ran CAM, and notice that the pump made loud water noises for a couple minutes before going quiet again. Temps went back to normal. Whats happening now?

How old is the pump? AIOs loose coolant over time, so if it's multiple years old, it's possible the AIO has lost enough coolant that it's causing big enough air bubbles to be circulated through the loop.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 minute ago, Cereal5 said:

How old is the pump? AIOs loose coolant over time, so if it's multiple years old, it's possible the AIO has lost enough coolant that it's causing big enough air bubbles to be circulated through the loop.

I bought it back in March of 2017, so 9 months old. 

9 hours ago, Kaita said:

1. Is there a way to fix it? The pump seems to be "working" as the tubes are hot and water is flowing, I don't know really. 

If the water "seems to be flowing" then it doesn't sound like its dead to me but maybe it's clogged? im not entirely sure but as for a water gurgling noise, i used to have an AIO that made a kinda of gurgling noise when i first booted the system up but then stopped so you may have some bubbles in your loop? this post has me a bit bamboozled ?

Do i Recommend Ryzen? Yes. All of the Yes.

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

ASUS Gaming TUF B450 Micro-ATX

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

GTX 1070 Founders Edition

Corsair Crystal 280X

500Gb SanDisk Sata SSD, 1Tb 7200RPM Hdd

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

7 hours ago, zombieshy_guy81 said:

It’s weird! The moment I run CAM the water gurgling was loud and temps went back to normal and the gurgling stopped. I even kept the PC on for like 13 hours (just came back now) and it’s idling at 22. So yeah probably was air bubbles or something. Either way, thanks everyone for your replies and have a good day/evening ?.

10 hours ago, Kaita said:

Just a thought, since I am also using CAM, just not for AIO. Could it be that the "default" profile is running unless you actually manually turn on the CAM and only then it loads the proper settings into fan and pump speeds, which solve the problem?

It's just that I am using my CAM for my incase RGB and sometimes the LEDs are stuck in some way unless I manually activate the CAM.

6 minutes ago, Ergroilnin said:

Just a thought, since I am also using CAM, just not for AIO. Could it be that the "default" profile is running unless you actually manually turn on the CAM and only then it load the proper setting into fan and pump speeds, which solve the problem?

It just that I am using my CAM for my incase RGB and sometimes the LEDs are stuck in some way unless I manually activate the CAM.

I doubt that, but I get what you mean. It worked for months, why stop working now? Besides, a pump shouldn’t rely on software to function properly. I use “performance mode” on CAM and it doesn’t work unless I keep the program open, so maybe after opening it and running the pump at full speed “jumpstarted” it? I don’t know honestly.  I also use CAM for my Hue+ (LED strips + fans) and gotta say it’s horrible. 

4 minutes ago, Kaita said:

I doubt that, but I get what you mean. It worked for months, why stop working now? Besides, a pump shouldn’t rely on software to function properly. I use “performance mode” on CAM and it doesn’t work unless I keep the program open, so maybe after opening it and running the pump at full speed “jumpstarted” it? I don’t know honestly.  I also use CAM for my Hue+ (LED strips + fans) and gotta say it’s horrible. 

Yeah I use the Hue+ for the strips and fans same as you.

Well I do not know why it would stop working suddenly, but as you said and not only you, there are tons of issues with CAM reported from people all over the web and the problem I have with the LEDs sometimes not working properly also started showing later, about half a year after I put the PC together.

So far it does not bother me enough to go and try troubleshooting it, so I do not know, if simple CAM reinstall/fresh OS install/etc. is enough to solve it or not though.