UPDATED* AMD announces the Radeon VII - but it's $699 | Nvidia calls it "Lousy"

YoloSwag

It's interesting they cut out 4 CU's (Vega 64 had 64 of them, Radeon 7 has 60) while obtaining higher performance just from clocks then if ROP count is the same as on Vega 64.

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Ok, so there aren't 128 ROPs. But how many are there? Still 64 or have they bumped that to 96 ? I mean, if they gained all this performance from 200MHz more on the core and some bandwidth on HBM2, then that's quite significant, meaning Vega core is actually really capable, if you can get it clocked high enough and give it enough memory bandwidth. If Radeon 7 had 2GHz core like RTX 2080 (or Ti), it would be in the same performance territory.

Nothing's changed in Vega in the uarch so it's still 64. You have to overclock the Nvidia cards to get 2 GHz. You won't get it out of the box from what I can tell.

All of a sudden I'm interested in the card at all... I was assuming the FP64 would be crippled like consumer cards are these days. If not, this is HUGE for compute. The bandwidth starts to make sense. Think this would be by far the fastest FP64 card under 4 figure price tag.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, ya it's still "Vega (GCN 5)" and 64 ROPs.  The boost clock is 1800, but no word on base/stock.  But, the manufacturing process is 7nms compared to the 14nm of Vega 64.

Uh, yeah, that much is pretty obvious.

9 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Nothing's changed in Vega in the uarch so it's still 64. You have to overclock the Nvidia cards to get 2 GHz. You won't get it out of the box from what I can tell.

My GTX 1080Ti runs at 1950MHz out of the box (granted, it's AORUS which isn't reference). With some convincing, I think they could ship it at 2GHz out of the box. But still, 50MHz probably doesn't make much of a difference.

11 minutes ago, porina said:

Think this would be by far the fastest FP64 card under 4 figure price tag.

By a hell of a lot too, near 100 times faster.

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

My GTX 1080Ti runs at 1950MHz out of the box (granted, it's AORUS which isn't reference). With some convincing, I think they could ship it at 2GHz out of the box. But still, 50MHz probably doesn't make much of a difference.

That's the highest factory overclock I've seen yet. Most seem to be in the 1840-1900 range. Yours is probably the most expensive card in the lineup considering I looked at a Gigabyte card that was clocked much lower.

Edit: just saw yours is a Pascal card. From what I can tell Turing cards on average are clocked lower from the factory I think. Probably to keep the power in check. The uarch requires more power.

RTX cards have more shaders so they need to compensate that with lower clocks. Besides, this 1080Ti isn't even the fastest, there's Xtreme version of it, but it was too expensive and imo not worth it. Happy with this one tho. Good cooler unlike Strix GTX 980 I had before that had really noisy fans that often rumbled in a really weird way.

36 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It's interesting they cut out 4 CU's (Vega 64 had 64 of them, Radeon 7 has 60) while obtaining higher performance just from clocks then if ROP count is the same as on Vega 64.

Ya the clocks are like 15% higher but the performance is like 30% faster. Apart from the memory bandwidth maybe there was a little tweaking to get rid of some architectural bugs or inefficiencies. 

It's possible that this is the vega architecture we should have gotten at first, and the stories about Engineers being diverted to Navi resulting in the original Vega being sub par and undercooked were true. 

We should get a better idea in 3 weeks when they are sending out the samples to reviewers they will brief them on all the changes and optimizations done if any.

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

By a hell of a lot too, near 100 times faster.

Looking only at rated flops, assuming it is near enough same as MI50, it is 16x faster than 2080 Ti, 21x faster than 2080. 8.5x faster than Vega64. Assumes scaling only with rated flops and doesn't take ram bandwidth into consideration.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Ya the clocks are like 15% higher but the performance is like 30% faster. Apart from the memory bandwidth maybe there was a little tweaking to get rid of some architectural bugs or inefficiencies. 

It's possible that this is the vega architecture we should have gotten at first, and the stories about Engineers being diverted to Navi resulting in the original Vega being sub par and undercooked were true. 

We should get a better idea in 3 weeks when they are sending out the samples to reviewers they will brief them on all the changes and optimizations done if any.

We'll never get the Vega we were promised. Vega responds very well to memory bandwidth. I'm pretty sure the remaining 10-15% is all memory.

15 minutes ago, porina said:

Looking only at rated flops, assuming it is near enough same as MI50, it is 16x faster than 2080 Ti, 21x faster than 2080. 8.5x faster than Vega64. Assumes scaling only with rated flops and doesn't take ram bandwidth into consideration.

Oh right it's 1/16 not 1/64, woops lol

Just now, leadeater said:

Oh right it's 1/16 not 1/64, woops lol

100x would be very nice, but 10x is still nice! I'll let someone else get one first to verify but all of a sudden I have an upgrade itch...

I have wanted as Vega 64 since launch. Just never got one. I am super tempted to get this just so I dont have to give Nvidia the $700 again. I already had 1 1080 and 2 1070s...  My next build will be all AMD later this year. 

52 minutes ago, corsairian said:

I have wanted as Vega 64 since launch. Just never got one. I am super tempted to get this just so I dont have to give Nvidia the $700 again. I already had 1 1080 and 2 1070s...  My next build will be all AMD later this year. 

Ya we will have to wait for reviews but tbh for now this new Radeon 7 looks more appealing to me than Vega64 did. This seems like a more balanced design. Whereas Vega 64 was starved for memory bandwidth so it performed how a hypothetical Fury X would if you could somehow clock it that high. Also with Radeon 7 for once people can buy the reference air cooler as it actually is good.

6 hours ago, porina said:

All of a sudden I'm interested in the card at all... I was assuming the FP64 would be crippled like consumer cards are these days. If not, this is HUGE for compute. The bandwidth starts to make sense. Think this would be by far the fastest FP64 card under 4 figure price tag.

ARGH! Those External IF links were worth at least a few good videos among the TechTuber set. Someone was going to get 2 working together. I'm bummed about that. I guess we'll have to wait for the 2x GPU Instinct cards later in the year. (IF exposed over PCIe 4.0 means they can actually just toss 2 Compute GPUs the same PCB and they'll act as 1 GPU.)

I'm betting on the FP64 being enabled. If it is then I will be buying this for my simulation programming. These are the numbers on GPU db. This is good news for AMD who haven't had a decent FP64 card since 2013. Better FP32 than the 2080 Ti as well. Better FP64 than all but Volta and Quadro 8000

In OpenCL work we already know from AMDs numbers that this card easily beats out the 2080 Ti.

AMD's benchmark number are in the footnote here. They show:

Testing done by AMD performance labs 1/3/19 on AMD Ryzen 2700X,16GB DDR4 3000MHz, Radeon VII, Radeon RX Vega 64, AMD Driver 18.50 and Windows 10. Across 4 content creation workloads/benchmarks: Davinci Resolve 15, Adobe Premiere, LuxMark and Blender. Radeon VII completed in /scored 101s, 330s, 50202 and 92s respectively. Radeon RX Vega 64 completed in/scored 138s, 462s, 31013 and 126s respectively. Resulting in Radeon VII vs Radeon RX 64 performance uplift of: 1.27x, 1.29x, 1.62x and 1.27x respectively.

We can see on this site and here that a score of 50202 is the same or better than the 2080 Ti and is only beaten by Volta GPUs.

Looking good for compute!

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

21 minutes ago, Madgemade said:

I'm betting on the FP64 being enabled. If it is then I will be buying this for my simulation programming. These are the numbers on GPU db. This is good news for AMD who haven't had a decent FP64 card since 2013. Better FP32 than the 2080 Ti as well. Better FP64 than all but Volta and Quadro 8000

In OpenCL work we already know from AMDs numbers that this card easily beats out the 2080 Ti.

AMD's benchmark number are in the footnote here. They show:

We can see on this site and here that a score of 50202 is the same or better than the 2080 Ti and is only beaten by Volta GPUs.

Looking good for compute!

Lisa Su said "creators" a bunch of times around the Radeon 7. This is going to be a hot seller in the compute segment of the market. Or at least enough to sell out their stock.

On 1/10/2019 at 12:01 AM, VanayadGaming said:

What did you guys expect? a 300$ card that competes with the Titan ?

Given the "leaks" from AMD hopefuls, that kind of is what people expected. A serious "all hail the comeback kid" celebration was on the cusp of reality to the team red fans. I'm personally pleased by this launch because more competition = less price gauging (mostly)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Lisa Su said "creators" a bunch of times around the Radeon 7. This is going to be a hot seller in the compute segment of the market. Or at least enough to sell out their stock.

Isn't that kinda what they have been doing anyway? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Isn't kinda that what they have been doing anyway? 

AMD has kept just enough RX Vega in the channel that sellers have at least some stock. However, AMD sends practically every Vega it can to other markets besides Retail. I'd expect something similar with Radeon 7. It might also show up in an Apple product this year as well. Vega is only incidentally a product for "gamers". Which is kind of why Navi is what everyone wants to know about. That's been built for Sony/MS, so it's should perform the "Gaming" part very well.

Another Theory why they did release the Radeon 7:
Navi is very close, cheaper and can also be used for Compute.

But they had enough stock of Vega 20 that has to be sold off somehow, especially since its rather expensive...

So it might be possible that we could see a double launch around summer:
Ryzen 3000 combined with NAVI. 

Or a stacked launch ie one of the two a couple of weeks before the other, with Reviews and stuff comming, so that they are talked about for months...

ie May/June for one, July/August for the other...

Question is: Do they launch Navi first or Ryzen 3000???

My guess would be Navi.

And it could even be a rather quick release with immediate availability without any announcements beforehand. ANd then the reviews at launch ready...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 1/9/2019 at 11:35 PM, YoloSwag said:

LMAO. This is the first time I heard something like this from Jensen. He sounds like a 12-year old kid and he's the CEO.

This is what really struck me. Dismissing it like this when he knows full well that non-rtx games are a bit of a focus when it comes to 2080 performance, and the obvious fact that Vega stomped on GTX for workstation tasks due to parallel compute and memory bandwidth advantages, plus the increase in vram means once again AMD targets another market segment very strongly, catering to both gamers and professionals.

If he's trying to down play it, it isn't working.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I mean, if Radeon VII dropped for $649 it would be a bit of an easier sell than the $699 they're aiming for, because you can find stock RTX 2080s for that cash.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

32 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Another Theory why they did release the Radeon 7:
Navi is very close, cheaper and can also be used for Compute.

But they had enough stock of Vega 20 that has to be sold off somehow, especially since its rather expensive...

So it might be possible that we could see a double launch around summer:
Ryzen 3000 combined with NAVI. 

Or a stacked launch ie one of the two a couple of weeks before the other, with Reviews and stuff comming, so that they are talked about for months...

ie May/June for one, July/August for the other...

Question is: Do they launch Navi first or Ryzen 3000???

My guess would be Navi.

And it could even be a rather quick release with immediate availability without any announcements beforehand. ANd then the reviews at launch ready...

Rome, Ryzen 3rd Gen then Navi.