UPDATED* AMD announces the Radeon VII - but it's $699 | Nvidia calls it "Lousy"

YoloSwag
1 hour ago, Techstorm970 said:

Alright you two, let's compromise and say that Radeon VII is not what we were hoping for, but still isn't a bad GPU, even for its price point.

And like others have said, it is ONE HELL of a compute card for its price! :o 

It's not that bad for it's price point,and I agree it is a beat of a compute card, though the concerning thing as mentioned is since it won't be a high volume card the retailers are probably gonna price gouge it pretty hard, making it a poor value for gaming which is what AMD really needs now.

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

people who only play games don't really need 16GB of VRAM now, but people who do other things with their pc do need it. 

not everyone has the money to build 2 machines (1 for work and 1 for games). this (from what I've seen) looks like a very good allrounder. good in games and good in compute. 

also, like @DrMacintosh said it does perform better than a 1080Ti. they compared it to the 2080. 

Tbh if you need such a card for work,specifically content creation as AMD was showing, you're likely going to have the budget for 2 machines.  Not good that AMD is pushing compute cards for gaming when there should at least be a lower tier SKU with 8GB or so priced at $449-499. Yeah they compared it to a 2080, thought the 1080Ti is pretty much the same thing without the RT cores tacked on.

Come to think of it, $699 isn't that bad of a price considering how it has 16GB of HBM2, which probably costs a lot and would mean that margins on it aren't much. 

With all that said, seems that AMD has content creation and productivity in mind for this, which likely explains Su's repeat of the term "content creator" during the keynote. It's definitely appealing for that especially in regards to its high bandwidth memory performance, although it will probably be a harder sell for gamers. 

To put it in retrospect, it's easier to sell ray-tracing than HBM to gamers. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

20 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A majority of gamers don't need the 16GB, futureproof who knows unless these cards outperform the 2080 at 4K and at that budget most would probably go for a 2080Ti anyway.

I don't disagree with you but we 've seen before that AMD support for older cards made them perform great for years. 
Well in that case you re right. Whoever wants the top gaming card will go for the 2080ti except guys like me who are ok with the next in the line best gaming card and have a preference for team red. In the end for me at least it would be all about the price. If it's really on par with the 2080 and comes at 2080 price at most then i d go for it. If it goes much higher price wise then i will probably go again for a team green card.

P.S. Another thing i want to mention is that we might see an 8 gb version of the card with a lower price of course(price similar to a 2070 for example).

44 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Tbh if you need such a card for work,specifically content creation as AMD was showing, you're likely going to have the budget for 2 machines.  

no you don't.

also even the rich like to save money once in a while... 

She/Her

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

AMD won't be your white knight forever.

Just like with good guys in dating, amd is dismissed when they act in the benefit of consumers, and then people complain they stop after a while and start to do what the company that everyone is buying from do.

I sometimes won't understand what people expect...

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

In hindsight, the "Nvidia supports FreeSync" move has a bit to do with the Radeon 7. The 7 is clearly a 4K-capable gaming card, and most of the 4K monitors you'd game on have the FreeSync. 

I don't doubt that Nvidia knew AMD has a 4K capable card, Nvidia would have had to expand their monitor support and it seemed like a convenient time for it, but decent 4K monitors aren't cheap with Freesync either.

You're still being stupid about this? Like or dislike Adored, but stop lying about what he said.

Didn't he have a video claiming that Vega II and Navi would be at CES? He lied himself with the clickbait "leaked" Ryzen 3000 specs also.

This is kind of what I expected and quite disappointing: they're one node smaller at 7nm and they still can't reach the 2080ti performance at one node higher it shows just how behind AMD is and Navi isn't going to help them either because AFAIK is just the same architecture and they really need something ground up to catch up at this point.

I get that this is a usable product and AMD purist will not be quite happy with my comment but it's a sharp contrast to what they're able to pull off on Ryzen by having the upper hand on the newer(ish) node vs getting first to a node and still losing the top spot to the competition.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Radeon 5 - 2022

image.png.946ae455e13f38d4a82d878cb4d00be0.png

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Other little detail is significant chunks of Vega were busted at the silicon level. It's a brilliant mixed-load GPU, but there's a slew of functions that they just didn't get working. RTG still has a bunch of development issues to work out, especially if the rumors of another Navi respin are true.

Which functions specifically? The only thing I know of is the primitive shaders which got dropped. What Navi respin?

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

Just like with good guys in dating, amd is dismissed when they act in the benefit of consumers, and then people complain they stop after a while and start to do what the company that everyone is buying from do.

I sometimes won't understand what people expect...

Sometimes people just want to get fucked and fucked good. Maybe even choked a little bit. And that's just when shopping. Now when dating....

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

This is kind of what I expected and quite disappointing: they're one node smaller at 7nm and they still can't reach the 2080ti performance at one node higher it shows just how behind AMD is and Navi isn't going to help them either because AFAIK is just the same architecture and they really need something ground up to catch up at this point.

I get that this is a usable product and AMD purist will not be quite happy with my comment but it's a sharp contrast to what they're able to pull off on Ryzen by having the upper hand on the newer(ish) node vs getting first to a node and still losing the top spot to the competition.

There's not really anything controversial in your comment so I don't see why someone would be unhappy. About the node: it was used for compute, not graphics. That's why it's still pretty underwhelming. AMD is so far still completely lost when it comes to capturing gamers and to deliver a good product in that segment.

On 1/10/2019 at 4:34 AM, Blademaster91 said:

I don't doubt that Nvidia knew AMD has a 4K capable card, Nvidia would have had to expand their monitor support and it seemed like a convenient time for it, but decent 4K monitors aren't cheap with Freesync either.

Didn't he have a video claiming that Vega II and Navi would be at CES? He lied himself with the clickbait "leaked" Ryzen 3000 specs also.

Yup, 4K monitors aren't cheap, which is why 4K capable GPUs can be expensive. It's a small market, but AMD at least will show up in benchmarks now.

No, Adored's leak of the expected Ryzen & Navi specs were just what he said in the videos: leaks from connected sources and what the expectations of those products would be. Nothing about that has changed and he only speculated what'll be announced at CES, just like everyone else. Ryzen 3rd Gen got announced, AMD move Radeon 7 out to the public (this product has been on & off multiple times) and there was a single mention of Navi and later in the year. 

Word out of CES is motherboards are going to be hold up for Ryzen 3rd gen, which really just means it gets pushed back from about April to May/June. AMD might just do the huge announcement stuff all on their May 1st 50th Anniversary day.

On 1/10/2019 at 4:35 AM, Misanthrope said:

Vega on 14nm is a 486 mm2 GPU; RTX 2080 Ti is a 754  mm2 GPU on TSMC's 12nm node. Radeon 7 is smaller at 331mm2, but it's, by majority, just a die shrink of Vega. We'll have to see what it looks like when everyone gets all of the independent testing done, but it's a product that serves its role. Even if Navi is more important, from a totality perspective.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:13 AM, Trixanity said:

Which functions specifically? The only thing I know of is the primitive shaders which got dropped. What Navi respin?

NGG Fast Path, Primitive Shaders and Rapid Packed Math. I.e. all of the new tech that was in Vega. Some of it "works", but only if you code for it directly. I think RPM works on compute and only got activated a few months ago. One of them never got added to the code support. Vega ended up an utter mess; some of it directly AMD's fault while the HBM2 issue wasn't.

Which is why Radeon 7 will at least be interesting to explore, even if for exploring what 7nm can do with a GPU. 

19 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

AMD is so far still completely lost when it comes to capturing gamers and to deliver a good product in that segment.

Oh come on that's so untrue. I mean Vega 56 and Vega 64 might not beat top tier cards from Nvidia but they are still good products for high end gaming. Things are not only black or white.

Not very impressed since the power consumption will still be high and both price and availability poor, but I'm very interested in seeing what a GCN card will do with - finally - 128 ROPs

And I hope the "retooling" applied to Vega 7 involves all those features disabled on the original Vega

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

3 minutes ago, Humbug said:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/amd_releases_additional_benchmarks_for_their_radeon_vii_gpu/1

Fallout 76, by far an outlier. The quoted average improvement was fairly telling that was going to be the case for 1 or 2 games which turned out to be the case. Still some impressive gains though.

Yawn. Man, they'll finally beat that 1080ti... When it's too fucking late and the 2080ti is a thing. I personally don't care about whether AMD has the performance crown or not, but lots of people do and it's an image thing.

Also, make a much cheaper 8GB GDDR version.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Fallout 76, by far an outlier. The quoted average improvement was fairly telling that was going to be the case for 1 or 2 games which turned out to be the case. Still some impressive gains though.

Considering Fallout 76 is a stuttering mess for a lot of players, we should probably ask what type of witchcraft they pulled to get that to happen. That is the *last* game I'd expect to see huge boosts for Vega on.

10 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Also, make a much cheaper 8GB GDDR version.

mAkE a cHeApeR GdDr5 VErSioN

The meme is getting old, please

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Now that the GTX 1080 Ti will support FreeSync I'm sorry but I can't find any reason to hype about This Radeon 7... whatever happened to Navi? "It just doesn't works"

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Yeah at this price point unless it freaking we wrecks at video encoding is way overpriced most people will just spend the extra 100 and get Ray Tracing however not ready it is.

6 minutes ago, suits said:

Yeah at this price point unless it freaking we wrecks at video encoding is way overpriced most people will just spend the extra 100 and get Ray Tracing however not ready it is.

Considering Turing sales have been slow relative to Pascal, it seems most aren't taking up even Nvidia on "It just works".

Yup, 4K monitors aren't cheap, which is why 4K capable GPUs can be expensive. It's a small market, but AMD at least will show up in benchmarks now.

No, Adored's leak of the expected Ryzen & Navi specs were just what he said in the videos: leaks from connected sources and what the expectations of those products would be. Nothing about that has changed and he only speculated what'll be announced at CES, just like everyone else. Ryzen 3rd Gen got announced, AMD move Radeon 7 out to the public (this product has been on & off multiple times) and there was a single mention of Navi and later in the year. 

Word out of CES is motherboards are going to be hold up for Ryzen 3rd gen, which really just means it gets pushed back from about April to May/June. AMD might just do the huge announcement stuff all on their May 1st 50th Anniversary day.

Their leaks were claiming "RIP Intel" with false expectations that we would see cheap 12 core CPU's at CES, and Radeon 7 would be more competitively priced than it turned out to be. Interesting enough those connected sources are never even hinted at who they might be, but the media all followed his clickbait rumors.

And it doesn't make sense why they would hold back 3rd gen motherboards, and not announce it during all the CES hype.

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Their leaks were claiming "RIP Intel" with false expectations that we would see cheap 12 core CPU's at CES

Was he saying Ryzen 3000 would be 12/16 cores and Ryzen 3000 would be unveiled at CES or was he saying there would be a Ryzen 3000 12/16 demonstration or product launch details at CES. These are quite different things.

Ryzen 3000 could still be 12/16 cores so if we're talking general leaks and information what was shown at CES doesn't disprove in any way that it will not be the case, I'm sure you've seen the pictures of the blank space for a second chiplet. If there was no intention to fill that space the first chiplet would be centered not offset.

And yes I do dislike adored and I don't like his videos, or his voice for that matter which is a large reason I don't watch even just to find out what other people are hearing from him.

38 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Was he saying Ryzen 3000 would be 12/16 cores and Ryzen 3000 would be unveiled at CES or was he saying there would be a Ryzen 3000 12/16 demonstration or product launch details at CES. These are quite different things.

Ryzen 3000 could still be 12/16 cores so if we're talking general leaks and information what was shown at CES doesn't disprove in any way that it will not be the case, I'm sure you've seen the pictures of the blank space for a second chiplet. If there was no intention to fill that space the first chiplet would be centered not offset.

And yes I do dislike adored and I don't like his videos, or his voice for that matter which is a large reason I don't watch even just to find out what other people are hearing from him.

I could be wrong because i tried to not give the apparent leaks too much attention, but there was claims about everywhere that Ryzen 9 would be a thing at CES. I think it would have been revealed if the leaks were true though I agree it could still be a 12 or 16 core. I've also seen mentions the extra die space could be for a GPU chip, that is even more interesting to me. But its not his voice, I just dislike speculation videos and the videos adored makes are usually 20-30mins long, i'd really prefer a 5-10min TL;DR version or a written summary that I could read through.

1 hour ago, Settlerteo said:

Oh come on that's so untrue. I mean Vega 56 and Vega 64 might not beat top tier cards from Nvidia but they are still good products for high end gaming. Things are not only black or white.

They are decent products if you look at specific parameters but if you look at the whole picture it's not really anything impressive. Mediocre. 

Gamers gravitate towards Nvidia though. There's no denying it.

17 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

oh god I hope I don't need to provide subtitles if I ever conversed with you IRL ,_,

Most of the problem with his voice is the recording of it, not the tone or his inflections. He's trying to eat the mic, needs to take the lesson of keeping away from them and try and capture a natural sound.

The other problem I have is his delivery and timing, too much word vomit like the Matrix numbers scrolling down the screen. Sure they usually start off fine but once you're in at the 10 min mark and he's in the details section of the video you hit the word wall issue. For a longer format video it's far too off putting. You need longer breaks, variation in content shown (the style of it), change of presenter or voice which can just be a video section for the purposes of quoting someone else or supplementary information.

When is the last time you watched an interview, a TV show, a news segment etc that has a single person talking for a full 30 minutes? Basically never, because it's horrible for the viewer.

Edit:

He either needs to make his videos shorter and learn how to condense information and concisely illustrate a point or change the way he edits and presents the videos.