UPDATED* AMD announces the Radeon VII - but it's $699 | Nvidia calls it "Lousy"

YoloSwag

As we all know from CES, AMD announced a lot of things but it's nice of them to announce a new GPU that can at least match a GTX 2080

The Radeon VII will feature 16GB of HBM2 with 1TB/s of bandwidth, 60 CUs, a core clock of up to 1.8GHz, and up to 25% of performance improvement vs previous generation.

amd-radeonVII-4.jpg

amd-radeonVII-2.jpg

What's a bit disappointing slightly 'meh' however is that they chose to release a card that will match a GTX 2080 but at $699.

amd-radeonVII-3.jpg

I think at $699 this card loses a lot of attractiveness (The GTX 1080 Ti is still a good value card than a GTX 2080 and is cheaper). Perhaps even 8GB of HBM2 would be better, I just wish they'd push it down to $599 (VEGA 64 launched at $499, although it can be argued one can't find it at MSRP at that time)

But this is just me nitpicking since the card itself is $100 cheaper than a GTX 2080 (which launched at $799)

Well there you have it, it took AMD almost 2 years to have a card that matches the GTX 1080 Ti (which by the way launched also at $699 in March 2017).

Is this card worth getting over a GTX 1080 Ti right now? Maybe. We don't know. We have to wait for in-depth reviews.

In other news: GTX 1080 Ti have nothing to fear, just skip one more year!

(Source: CES, Fudzilla)

EDIT: Forgot to mention

For a limited time, Radeon VII will be bundled with Devil May Cry 5, Resident Evil 2, and The Division 2 games.

So it could be a better value card than the GTX 1080 Ti at the moment assuming you play all those games (or sell them)

End.

Also in case you missed it -

UPDATE:

Nvidia's Jensen Huang had a couple of things to say about the announcement -

“The performance is lousy and there’s nothing new. There’s] no ray tracing, no AI. It’s 7nm with HBM memory that barely keeps up with a 2080. And if we turn on DLSS we’ll crush it. And if we turn on ray tracing we’ll crush it.”

LMAO. This is the first time I heard something like this from Jensen. He sounds like a 12-year old kid and he's the CEO.

Well, I think he's speaking to his own cards "And if we turn on ray tracing we'll crush it" yeah, sounds about right the way Ray-Tracing takes a toll on the RTX cards.

AMD's Lisa Su does however gave a moderate response -

“What I would say is that we’re very excited about Radeon VII, and I would probably suggest that he hasn’t seen it yet.”

Source: Fudzilla

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

1 minute ago, Ja50n said:

Release price is one thing, but we’ll see what market forces do. Vega was an interesting one last year...

Last year VEGA 64 was available on retail for $365 in my country. That's the same amount they were selling RX 580s when the mining thing peaked.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

They launched a card that competes with the best from nvidia, except the 2080TI. I think they are ok. What did you guys expect? a 300$ card that competes with the Titan ? It is expensive though, and I would have liked it a bit cheaper...but still, it will be a great productivity/gaming card, just as the 2080. (maybe even better on the productivity side)

These are defective instinct mi60 chips, hence the missing 4 CUs. Most of the defective ones end up as mi50, now they intend to take some of those for gamers. This was a late decision,  AMD previously intended to skip vega 7nm for gamers. See the below specs the new gamer card is exactly the same as the mi50. They even left the 16GB vram in there lol.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-instinct-mi60-mi50-7nm-gpus,38031.html

We will not see volume production, they will be hard to come by. AMD knows this so they priced it high. They know that the very limited quantities they make will be sold out.

11 minutes ago, VanayadGaming said:

They launched a card that competes with the best from nvidia, except the 2080TI. I think they are ok. What did you guys expect? a 300$ card that competes with the Titan ? It is expensive though, and I would have liked it a bit cheaper...but still, it will be a great productivity/gaming card, just as the 2080. (maybe even better on the productivity side)

I agree this GPU is a good technological achievement.

It has only 15% higher clocks than Vega64. However the performance is 25-30% improved.

This is a clear sign that the architecture is much better on the newer Vega II. Not just a die shrink.

Also it means they are catching up on the high end. It took AMD 1.5 years to launch a gtx 1080 competitor. This time they are launching an RTX 2080 competitor within 4 months. So that is good.

However it's a disappointing launch due to the price. Nvidia has been recently damaging high end PC gaming by making it progressively more elitist and expensive. This was AMD's chance to do something disruptive and be the saviour. By launching Radeon 7 at $550 at most. Instead they are launching at $699 and everyone will buy geforce for the brand name recognition. Gamers don't need 16GB of HBM 2.0, they could have made it 8GB and saved that BOM cost. We are also all too familiar with what will take place- retail prices will be inflated and we will not be able to buy at MSRP.

Nvidia pricing trends have become toxic for PC gaming. They are poisoning the well.

Look at how the price is going out of control

GTX 960 to GTX  1060 to GTX 2060

GTX 970 to GTX 1070 to GTX 2070

GTX 980 to GTX 1080 to GTX 2080

etc

They are conditioning people to pay higher and higher prices. This is good for their margins short term but on the longterm it just makes PC gaming so much less appealing and drives people towards consoles.

This was AMD's real shot to be the savior and provide a lifeline to high end PC gamers. By delivering the Radeon VII at $500-550. But they did not. It would have been a great strategic move and added value to their brand, because of the timing when Nvidia is hurting the market.

1 minute ago, VanayadGaming said:

I was expecting a card around the same price as a Vega64 that competes with a 1080Ti and 2080, but it should be great for non-gaming tasks with 16GB and more bandwidth than the 2080, though I agree AMD should be selling an 8GB version to keep the cost down. The triple fan cooler is nice to see and much better than a blower although i'm curious if it still runs hot like the previous Vega cards.

$699 is the same MSRP as the RTX 2080 which AMD claims the Radeon 7 is on par with. Most feedback has been that the RTX cards are too expensive. I think AMD should have released a cheaper version of the Radeon 7 aimed more at gaming with 'only' 8GB of HBM2 memory and priced it around $599 [or lower] which would allow them to compete against Nvidia in pricing. There's really no need for a gaming graphics card to have 16GB of HBM2 memory, that's more workstation GPU area.

They did mention in the CES presentation that there will be more versions coming throughout the year, so hopefully we will soon see an 8GB version with the same GPU die that is targeted more at gaming and can bring the cost down.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Makes sense to me.

• It has 16GB vs 8GB of VRAM
  • It has HBM as opposed to GDDR6 (though, since GDDR6 costs quite a bit now, that difference likely isn't as large)
  • Isn't this more of a workstation turned gamer card? Akin to the Frontier?

Just like OnePlus, AMD won't be racing to the bottom forever. Eventually they'll get enough traction where pricing their product at the same price, or perhaps *gasp* even higher than Nvidia will still net them with extremely healthy profits.

AMD won't be your white knight forever.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

13 minutes ago, VanayadGaming said:

and here's why I say this -

5 minutes ago, Humbug said:

By launching Radeon 7 at $550 at most. Instead they are launching at $699 and everyone will buy geforce for the brand name recognition.

That's exactly why I am disappointed at this launch.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Just now, dizmo said:

AMD won't be your white knight forever.

The saddest quote I was able to quote since I joined LTT...

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

$699 is the same MSRP as the RTX 2080 which AMD claims the Radeon 7 is on par with.

Yeah I guess I forgot to say that the RTX 2080 FE was $799.

Although I suspect you won't be able to get both the Radeon VII and RTX 2080 at MSRP in retail.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Just now, YoloSwag said:

Yeah I guess I forgot to say that the RTX 2080 FE was $799.

Although I suspect you won't be able to get both the Radeon VII and RTX 2080 at MSRP in retail.

There are RTX 2080's that are currently available to buy in stores like Amazon.com and Newegg.com for the $699 MSRP. The RTX 2080 sells for anywhere between $670 to $900. https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=427&sort=price&page=1

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

$699 is just the MSRP at launch, I expect the actual market price will be lower and they could still release a cheaper 8GB variant later. If the card delivers the promised performance at the same or a lower price than NVIDIAs offerings then I'll buy it.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

gonna have to wait for the reviews first.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I bet Navi later this year will be s much better price for the performance, but ofc not as good performance as this. Because HBM.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

15 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I bet Navi later this year will be s much better price for the performance, but ofc not as good performance as this. Because HBM.

Not because of HBM. But because the Navi that is launching this year will be midrange. Fewer CUs.

The Navi we are getting this year will compete with RTX 2060 and RTX 2070. AMD will retire Polaris or relegate it to low end at this point. So it will be low end Polaris/Navi, midrange Navi and highend Vega II by the end of this year.

Then in 2020 they will launch the high end Navi, only then will  they retire Vega II.

I'm interested to see if it's a power hog and gets really hot..  like previous Vega. Because if it does I won't want to get one.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

2 minutes ago, Granular said:

Probably a hell of a compute card.

Probably a good thing crypto is basic dead atm, that amount of performance and memory bandwidth would make it a huge miners target.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Most feedback has been that the RTX cards are too expensive. I think AMD should have released a cheaper version of the Radeon 7 aimed more at gaming with 'only' 8GB of HBM2 memory and priced it around $599 [or lower]

Instead they released a single card that matches a 2080 in gaming performance and beats a 2080 in compute tasks by a big margin. 

AMD is not Nvidia, producing one sku means lower production costs, something AMD needs. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, sof006 said:

I'm interested to see if it's a power hog and gets really hot..  like previous Vega. Because if it does I won't want to get one.

Heat wise AIB models were fine, not hotter than Nvida card using the same cooler, just slightly higher fam rpm. Power draw is going to be the same as current Vega, only difference here is a non terrible reference cooler and higher performance.

Edit:

Side note why does anyone even care about older AMD reference coolers anyway, in the past who was actually buying those cards. Only thing those reference coolers were used for was ammo to dump on AMD GPUs even though it didn't represent what people are actually buying.

sounds like a good card, too expensive for me personally, but not bad at all.

If combined with Chill it can be a dead silent card whilst gaming at 1080p@60  might attempt at considering it.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Instead they released a single card that matches a 2080 in gaming performance and beats a 2080 in compute tasks by a big margin. 

AMD is not Nvidia, producing one sku means lower production costs, something AMD needs. 

A single card that matches the performance Nvidia had with the previous 1080Ti, AMD is really late with a competing card that also still can't come close in power draw.  And as mentioned you probably won't be able to find a  Radeon VII at MSRP because these cards are made in limited numbers from their defective compute cards.