The Division 2 is exclusive to the Epic Store (and UPlay) on PC

D13H4RD

We probably didn't see this one coming. 

Hot on the heels of the announcement that some indie titles are exclusives to the Epic Store at least for a time period, Ubisoft has announced that The Division 2 will be exclusive to the Epic Store alongside their own proprietary UPlay platform on PC. 

The Epic Games Store's relatively new effort to take on Valve's Steam juggernaut received a major shot in the arm today. That's because Ubisoft has announced that the PC version of The Division 2 will not be sold on Steam and will instead be available only through the Epic Games Store and Ubisoft's own UPlay service.

Though The Division 2 previously had an info page listed on Steam, Ubisoft confirmed to numerous press outlets that "we have no plans currently on releasing Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 on Steam.” Epic Games also said in a statement that it "will also partner [with Ubisoft] on additional select titles to be announced during the coming year." Epic said it will "work to integrate key components of Ubisoft's Uplay and Epic's online services to provide gamers from both ecosystems with more seamless social features and interoperability."

Though there isn't a quote on exactly whether the exclusivity deal is permanent or timed, Ubisoft has stated that they currently don't have any short term plans for a Steam release 

With Epic securing a big title for its platform, it remains to be seen whether this will get people to try the platform or scorn at it even more for its tactics on securing exclusives. 

D13H4RD's opinion 

Spoiler

Seriously, enough with the exclusivity deals already. Stop harming the choice of the consumer based on which storefront they wish to buy their games from. 

Whilst I can sort of understand the rationale, I fail to understand how limiting the choice of the consumer is beneficial. 

Compete based on the quality of your service. Not based on how many exclusives you have as if it were an e-peen measuring contest. 

Source: Ars Technica

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I...can't say I give any fucks. It logs you into UPlay when you open the game in Steam anyway. So, chances are if you like The Division, you also give 0 fucks.

Can't wait. 100% invested. Much fun.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, 1kv said:

No deal for me. I can't use that Epic Games/UPlay crap. 

But havent the Ubi games on steam gone through uplay for a while now? I know that uplay launches every time I run Rainbow six or the division, even from steam.

I would still prefer the current system but it isn’t the end of the world. And in what way are the Epic Games store and Uplay so crap that they are unusable?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

If it means new games drop back down to 60 Canadian rubies from 80/90, that would mean something to end users during these platform wars.  Its the only dog I have in the fight anyways.  Could care less who wins some popularity contest, if anyone.

Missing the days I could just run a game w/o a bullshit layer of any kind actively spinning away in the not so background though.

Just now, sazrocks said:

But havent the Ubi games on steam gone through uplay for a while now? I know that uplay launches every time I run Rainbow six or the division, even from steam.

I haven't played a Ubi game in about 2 years so I've got no clue. 

It's still not on my list of games to buy until it has an official Steam release since I'd rather use my leftover steam credit than pay nearly $60 from my bank account.

I also hate Epic Games themselves. They're starting to get EA's addiction to money imo. Look at all of the microtransactions in games like Fortnite, it's just going to get worse.

Personally, if you want it, just get it off UPlay. 

One less thing to worry about. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Still going to get it on UPlay. Just seems odd getting a game from Steam or Epic when it has to interact through UPlay in the end. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Still going to get it on UPlay. Just seems odd getting a game from Steam or Epic when it has to interact through UPlay in the end. 

I find it funny how Ubisoft even did this in the first place. 

I can sort of understand partnering with Steam due to the large install base, but Epic's is much smaller. 

7 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm willing to bet it has a fair bit to do with the percentage EPIC recently stated they'd take from digital content sold from their store front and how much more appealing it is than steam/orign/bethesda/whomever for big titles at least.

Do wonder what GOG asks for if Ubi didn't also throw them a bone, or if ubi views CDProjectRed as too much of a competitor, but not EPIC.  Or maybe they play nice with engine guys?

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

I can sort of understand partnering with Steam due to the large install base, but Epic's is much smaller. 

Probably due to the dev %. I just don't see why it should matter between Epic and Steam, just do both. 

Spoiler

Unless Ubi or Epic tried to set a deal. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

24 minutes ago, 1kv said:

No deal for me. I can't use that Epic Games/UPlay crap. 

uPlay is solid enough, especially when you remember the days of Steam being the one location for all your games are gone.

21 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I...can't say I give any fucks. It logs you into UPlay when you open the game in Steam anyway. So, chances are if you like The Division, you also give 0 fucks.

Can't wait. 100% invested. Much fun.

Yeah exactly, Ubisoft have done a pretty good job of slowly easing their users into using their own platform.

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Hopefully I'll never have to use the Epic Games Store, maybe if they release a new Unreal Tournament or something but apart from that, I'll just stick to uPlay/Steam/Origin/Battle.net. It's not ideal but I don't like Epic's business practices so far, they've come out of the gate championing exclusivity, PC enthusiasts don't like 'exclusivity'.

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Probably due to the dev %. I just don't see why it should matter between Epic and Steam, just do both. 

Hide contents

Unless Ubi or Epic tried to set a deal. 

It came out from Coffee Stain that Epic has given cash incentives in exchange for exclusivity deals. 

Don't see why Ubisoft would need that money, and it's also funny because Ubisoft also has their own platform where they get a full cut, whilst also being something that people who buy Ubisoft games would more likely get their stuff from. 

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

It came out from Coffee Stain that Epic has given cash incentives in exchange for exclusivity deals. 

I really need to tune into the TN sub-forum more often. That sucks. Hopefully that cash incentive gives the next Call of Duty a campaign*...

HINT: It's not going to happen...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I really need to tune into the TN sub-forum more often. That sucks. Hopefully that cash incentive gives the next Call of Duty a campaign..

That's part of the reason why the Epic Store has received some scorn as of late. 

For anyone wondering why this is happening.

They're effectively forcing Steam (Valve) to lower their cut on sales, atm I believe Steam takes the largest cut among online game/software distribution platforms.

I hope Valve becomes competitive again. They're busy relaxing for a long time now as a publisher and game developer.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

41 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

They're effectively forcing Steam (Valve) to lower their cut on sales, atm I believe Steam takes the largest cut among online game/software distribution platforms.

30% was the standard, at least until recently. 

I think the cut isn't Valve's biggest issue. It's how the storefront tends to have quite a lot of crapware piled on top of quality stuff 

like internet TV, diverse PC exclusives only promotes piracy 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Yeah, no thanks. 

37 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

It's how the storefront tends to have quite a lot of crapware piled on top of quality stuff 

Somehow i prefer it that way. I don't want to see the same shit in my storefront all the time. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I play like 3 games, and none of them are on Uplay. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, YoloSwag said:

For anyone wondering why this is happening.

I hope Valve becomes competitive again. They're busy relaxing for a long time now as a publisher and game developer.

Money is changing hands for exclusivity. This is a backroom deal.

Ubisoft is also pulling the game from Origin. It's not just steam. We are seeing the rise of back room exclusivity deals on PC.

Speaking to PC gamer Tim Sweeney made the following comments

"These exclusives don’t come to stores for free; they’re a result of some combination of marketing commitments, development funding, or revenue guarantees. This all helps developers."

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/epics-tim-sweeney-reveals-how-the-company-lands-exclusives-for-the-epic-store/

2 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

We probably didn't see this one coming. 

Hot on the heels of the announcement that some indie titles are exclusives to the Epic Store at least for a time period, Ubisoft has announced that The Division 2 will be exclusive to the Epic Store alongside their own proprietary UPlay platform on PC. 

Though there isn't a quote on exactly whether the exclusivity deal is permanent or timed, Ubisoft has stated that they currently don't have any short term plans for a Steam release 

With Epic securing a big title for its platform, it remains to be seen whether this will get people to try the platform or scorn at it even more for its tactics on securing exclusives. 

D13H4RD's opinion 

Reveal hidden contents

Seriously, enough with the exclusivity deals already. Stop harming the choice of the consumer based on which storefront they wish to buy their games from. 

Whilst I can sort of understand the rationale, I fail to understand how limiting the choice of the consumer is beneficial. 

Compete based on the quality of your service. Not based on how many exclusives you have as if it were an e-peen measuring contest. 

Source: Ars Technica

I feel like Samuel L jackson on snakes on a plane right now except instead of snakes it's DRM

Damn....

Forget the cut Steam takes, it's the refund policy, play it for a couple of hours, realise it's shit and get money back