Is this it? This is life?

Tom is a Door
12 minutes ago, Tom is a Door said:

Jordan Peterson I hear

Yeah some Peterson as well as some Dave Ramsey and Ken Coleman were in that post.

Like today, I mostly sat around watching you tube videos and felt like a dirt bag, because I wasted the whole day. But managed to salvage it by doing some paperwork and learning something I had been putting off learning.

1 hour ago, Tog Driver said:

(Don't expect this to at all answer your question, this is the way I see it and I doubt I will be able to give a good enough response that anyone can actually understand what I'm trying to say)

Electric vehicles may sound good on paper, but (In my opinion) Electric vehicles would take away a lot from the experience, instead of in the olden days with your horse (or something) being your friend and companion along the way, Electric vehicles are another step closer to Star Trek's "Transporters" instead of the journey being half the fun it's just "Okay, we're here now." with no thought at all as to how you get there. that is why I do not like Self Driving Vehicles.

And you now think I'm crazier then you probably already did.

I don't think you're crazy, but I also don't agree that EV's take the fun out of driving.

There's a lot to the driving experience. Engine noise certainly is one aspect that we've come to associate with "fun" driving (And hell yes, the 700+ HP that the new 2019 V12 DBS Superleggera sounds fucking amazing). But that's just one part of many.

The driving experience also includes handle, grip, overall feel, speed, acceleration, and so forth. There are quite a few EV's (the obvious no brainer one being Tesla Model S with the performance package) that check all of those boxes, with the only thing you lose being the engine noise.

If you think a gasoline powered car is fast, then try getting into a higher end EV, and hitting the pedal. That instant Electric-Motor torque and insane acceleration is no doubt extremely fun to drive.

No doubt, many people (possibly yourself included) will still favour gasoline powered cars for many years to come. But EV's are coming. There are some already awesome ones. And in the future, there's just going to be even more selection (including niches like "'Car guy' car") to choose from.

Besides, as of yet, EV is the best technology to take us into the future of personal transportation. Hydrogen Fuel Cells have way too many problems, including how damn inefficient it is to create hydrogen gas (which does not exist naturally in nature, despite Hydrogen being the most abundant element in the universe - Hydrogen is 71 times as abundant than Oxygen).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't think you're crazy, but I also don't agree that EV's take the fun out of driving.

:|

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

There's a lot to the driving experience. Engine noise certainly is one aspect that we've come to associate with "fun" driving (And hell yes, the 700+ HP that the new 2019 V12 DBS Superleggera sounds fucking amazing). But that's just one part of many.

The driving experience also includes handle, grip, overall feel, speed, acceleration, and so forth. There are quite a few EV's (the obvious no brainer one being Tesla Model S with the performance package) that check all of those boxes, with the only thing you lose being the engine noise.

If you think a gasoline powered car is fast, then try getting into a higher end EV, and hitting the pedal. That instant Electric-Motor torque and insane acceleration is no doubt extremely fun to drive.

I have to say I haven't driven that many new vehicles but once I go back to an old one I like the feel a lot more, the only way I can describe it is going for a ride with someone else driving versus you driving yourself.

12 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

No doubt, many people (possibly yourself included) will still favour gasoline powered cars for many years to come.

I'd have to guess decades.

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

But EV's are coming. 

You don't need to remind me. . .

14 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

There are some already awesome ones. And in the future, there's just going to be even more selection (including niches like "'Car guy' car") to choose from.

I can see myself getting used to them, say, when/if the positions are reversed so EVs are common as Gasoline cars are now, and then the Gas cars are the rare curiosity. but I can only assume it will be "tolerated" by me and not preferred.

19 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Besides, as of yet, EV is the best technology to take us into the future of personal transportation. 

The thing is, I don't think "The Future of personal transportation." is obviously a good thing as you make it sound.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

17 minutes ago, Tog Driver said:

:|

I have to say I haven't driven that many new vehicles but once I go back to an old one I like the feel a lot more, the only way I can describe it is going for a ride with someone else driving versus you driving yourself.

I'd have to guess decades.

Older cars have a more "visceral" driving feel to them. There's less technology to get rid of the rougher parts of a vehicle. Some people like that. Others don't.

You don't need to remind me. . .

I can see myself getting used to them, say, when/if the positions are reversed so EVs are common as Gasoline cars are now, and then the Gas cars are the rare curiosity. but I can only assume it will be "tolerated" by me and not preferred.

Tolerated would be sufficient, I think :P Nobody says you have to love (or even like) EV's.

The thing is, I don't think "The Future of personal transportation." is obviously a good thing as you make it sound.

Well, it's certainly better than using a literal "this puts out fumes that kill people" machine. Gasoline cars served their purpose. When they were invented, we didn't know much about the dangers or impacts of them, and we certainly didn't understand (or even care, really) about the health impacts.

The more Gasoline engines off the road means less carbon (and other trace toxic gases) put into the air we breath.

Personally I have no problem with Gasoline powered vehicles remaining a niche that a few people can indulge themselves with, so long as the majority of people either switch to EV's or to Public Transportation.

And of course, realistically, I don't expect EV's to take over for at least another 10 years.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

23 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Older cars have a more "visceral" driving feel to them. There's less technology to get rid of the rougher parts of a vehicle. Some people like that. Others don't.

Tolerated would be sufficient, I think :P Nobody says you have to love (or even like) EV's.

That's good to hear.

24 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Well, it's certainly better than using a literal "this puts out fumes that kill people" machine. 

Wait, how are the generating the electricity? 

25 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

personally I have no problem with Gasoline powered vehicles remaining a niche that a few people can indulge themselves with,

that sounds like enough room for me.

27 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

so long as the majority of people either switch to EV's or to Public Transportation.

I've never actually used public transportation, but it sounds like crap, just feel like saying that.

28 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

And of course, realistically, I don't expect EV's to take over for at least another 10 years.

(Palpatine Voice)  The EVs are taking over! ~10 years from now.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

6 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Well, there would be no noise at all, the only noise you'd hear is the wind. You'd feel instant, full torque from zero rpm.

I admit, it is a nice looking bike. Still love an exhaust note tho ?

3 hours ago, Tom is a Door said:

I am 18. At 22 I will graduate and maybe enter work force

Fair enough, good luck.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

is it the real life, is it just fantasy? 

anyway, any job can get me for my dream bike is a good job. the yamaha mt-07

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

On 1/9/2019 at 8:29 PM, Amazonsucks said:

The elite ruling class doesn't live like that. Only those who serve them. But either way, rich or poor, ruler or ruled, gettin old sucks.

I don't agree. Where I work, the CEO and VP's are working more hours than we are. I get here at 7 and they're already working. I leave at 16h and they are still here. The travel for work and have so many meetings. Yeah it looks like it's a cosy job, but we have no idea how many hours they've put in their work to get there.

Don't mixup rich kid youtuber that buys a lambo with hardworking millionaires that got there through blood, sweat and tears.

On 1/9/2019 at 6:28 PM, Tom is a Door said:

Like when you get older and become a real adult you just work 9-6/5. I came home tired

Yes, that is it. I am always tired after work. I do some stuff and go no later than 10 pm to bed. Next day same shit.

On 1/9/2019 at 6:28 PM, Tom is a Door said:

Feels really idk anti climactic?  

Depends on the job you do, some are more stimulating than others... if you don't like your job, make sure you use the stability it provides you to pursue your own interests in your free time.

You said you're 22, so I assume you're in college...? In that case, if at all possible, I'd look for a job that really pushes the limits of your preparation as soon as you get your degree. If you're studying CS or something along those lines, systems analyst is not that job. At some point you'll have to settle for what you can get, but now is the best time to aim high.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 hours ago, Noctus said:

I admit, it is a nice looking bike. Still love an exhaust note tho

Who doesnt love the sound of finely tuned exhaust, on a sports whatever. There was a fuckwad on a harley with loud ass pipes I was going to slash his tires but the parking lot had cameras.

You can also be a hobo. 

21 hours ago, fpo said:

You can also be a hobo. 

The border jumpers get more then multi-generational citizens. Last I heard $30K/yr it costs Turd-OH.

In Canada, no one starves, no one has to not sleep on a mat. Lots choose to, especially in the warmer climates like British Columbia. A Hobo's Mecca!

Picking bottles everyday is not a life to have, unless they are old and on pension, but the ones I see are not, they are on welfare $800/m and government medical $2000/m. I used to walk everywhere even sometimes run and ride my bicycle alot and had too many close calls. In the summer time I ride an ebike and even then there are close calls all the time. Very easy money if you ask me. Just getting a bruise is worth thousands, imagine breaking a leg.

People have to learn to actually work, then they have to have the sense to work smarter not harder.

On 1/9/2019 at 5:28 PM, Tom is a Door said:

I got myself an internship. As a computer information systems analyst. I pretty much do anything IT. 
From fixing people's outlook problems to setting up cisco routers, highest level of work I have done imo.
They are offering me full time for whenever I don't have school. Right now is winter break and I am doing 9-6. 

My question was that is this it? Like when you get older and become a real adult you just work 9-6/5. I came home tired
and watched netflix. You just crunch in 8/9 hours every day of the week? Feels really idk anti climactic?  

You have to make something of it.

My weekly routine was get up 7am, play some PC games and go to work for 9, finish work then either go to golf or rugby practice. 2 nights each a week on weekdays so one night off. Weekends was rugby match and golf competition. Evenings finished with some PC gaming and weekends I didn't have matches or competitions I played PC games all day. I also cooked and ran a lot to keep fit.

The less you do the less you can do, you have to do something to have the energy to do more of the body just goes into a cycle of doing less and less.

Draft up a routine, make sure its achievable and then commit to it.

Now I have a child and have MUCH less time I still jog 30k a week and do things, if not my body will just shut down into a cycle of work, netflix, sleep, work, repeat.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

That's anti climatic to you? You havet reach the climax yet lmao. It is an internship, not a permanent position. You have yet to reach the peak. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

15 hours ago, Canada EH said:

The border jumpers get more then multi-generational citizens. Last I heard $30K/yr 

USA gdp is 62,518 per carpita meaning everyone earns $62,518 USD annually on avarrgae. But because wealth inequality here, top 10% earns more than half of the wealth so we need to take away over 50%. Thus the average income should actually be somewhere in the $30,000-$40,000

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I did IT for a while and I only liked installs.  I did not like customer support at all.  

What I ended up doing was 3D design.

The job was like playing with Lego for a living. 

There was pressure having to come up with "new" designs all the time but I was always able to do it.

I think it is important to try lots of different things. I have been a horse minder, welder, auto mechanic, aircraft mechanic, maintenance person, fabricator, auto assembly line worker, installer and truck driver.

I enjoyed working with horses the most and hoped it would have lasted forever. It didn't. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

On 1/10/2019 at 11:15 PM, Tog Driver said:

That's good to hear.

Wait, how are the generating the electricity?

For an EV? Entirely depends on your Country/State. Here in Ontario, most of our electricity comes from Nuclear and Hydro-Electric - both of which are incredibly clean power sources that don't pollute significant amounts of toxins into the atmosphere.

But if you live in Coal County, USA? Well maybe not so clean.

With that in mind, it's still generally more environmentally friendly to use a dirty power source to power EV's over a gasoline engine - it just makes the difference less stark.

that sounds like enough room for me.

I've never actually used public transportation, but it sounds like crap, just feel like saying that.

How good public transportation in hugely depends on the city you're in. Some systems like ones in Japan are incredible. Other systems leave much to be desired.

In either case, you give up a certain amount of personal freedom with public transit, because you rely on pre-determined routes and frequency of departures.

(Palpatine Voice)  The EVs are taking over! ~10 years from now.

Yeeeesss. YYYEEESSSSS. GOOOOOOOOODDDDDD. Let the hate flow Through You!

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The EVs are taking over! ~10 years from now.

I hope not, I prefer the driver experience. How are they going to make 1 ton trucks EV?

That would be one fucking huge ass battery with no distance. Have to carry a trailer full of batteries.

Motorcycles, bicycles, skateboards, small cars EV's will be a thing for sure. Light automobiles.

I am only interested in saving money on fuel in certain circumstances. The most I've ever seen that have been commonly EV'd are Ford Rangers and small SUV's like the Toyota Rav4 and such.

What Tesla is doing is not good, go look at Rich Rebuilds, its hilarious he keeps buying fucking Tesla's. Ic ant imagine the time he has wasted on Tesla's, and I hope the money he has made through YT has been sufficient because time wasting and not making money is good, not good at all. He cant resell anything! Flipping vehicles would be a great money making hobby.

On 1/9/2019 at 9:28 AM, Tom is a Door said:

I got myself an internship. As a computer information systems analyst. I pretty much do anything IT. 
From fixing people's outlook problems to setting up cisco routers, highest level of work I have done imo.
They are offering me full time for whenever I don't have school. Right now is winter break and I am doing 9-6. 

My question was that is this it? Like when you get older and become a real adult you just work 9-6/5. I came home tired
and watched netflix. You just crunch in 8/9 hours every day of the week? Feels really idk anti climactic?  

"This being it" means having a job where you are simply thrilled to be working there.  Where basically you are excited, either meet good people or do things that are as fun and challenging as the videogames some people enjoy, or so on.  Having to number crunch at a desk job to make a paycheck at a job you do just because you have to do a job, can be torture. The difficulty is finding a job where you actually enjoy working and can have an influence.

Often, being "this is it" requires you starting and managing your own business doing what you enjoy, so you can set your own schedules, are flexible with your rules, and then can get into what really makes you enjoy life--finding ways to invest wisely and create or innovate, which is how you get rich.

Most people just have to suffer just to survive and hope they can unwind for the weekend.  Now imagine if you have a job you actually hate, like janitorial work, cleaning toilets or flipping burgers, or construction.

Now plumbers and electrical engineers can make a hell of a lot of money, as you always need licensed reliable people for those.  And some people enjoy being lawyers too and getting rich.

But I can't say anything that hasn't already been said by people much better off and far more knowledgeable than I am, so anything I say is probably just spam at this point anyway.  Just find what drives you and try to steer your life on a path where work bridges what you enjoy.

If you don't work, you have time to do things you enjoy doing, but no money. If you work, you have money, but no time. This makes so little sense, I wish my parents never met.

• 1 month later...

well yeah. from this point on life is only as exciting as you make it. honestly we all dream of this or that job but even if you get it it will at some point become nine to five to you so just work to live and dont live to work. get a wife and some kids a house and some shit. or you know whatever you imagine how life should be. 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3