Is this it? This is life?

Tom is a Door
3 hours ago, Zusafek said:

I'm a truck driver. I work around 14 hours a day according to my log book. On average I'm actually working 24 hours a day for 21 days at a time seeing as I sleep in the truck also. I don't have set shifts. I don't have access to most basic things normal people do. Been doing this for nearly 18 years now. If you enjoy your work it's not so bad. 

Oh and welcome to what the real world is. 

If you don't mind my asking, what make/model of truck do you drive?

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

If that's the way you choose to look at life, then that's what you're going to get out of it.

Generally, one needs to work to provide for themselves and make themselves feel useful. Especially if you're male.

You don't have any hobbies or interests outside of the 8 hours you spend at work?

If all you do is come home and plunk yourself down in front of a computer, then yeah you're going to feel rather meh about everything. Get out and live.

7 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

Yep, pretty much. People say your school days are the best days of your life, not because school days are great, but because work days are even shitter. Some people escape this fate and have a job they really enjoy, but most of us just live for the weekend.

Top tip, live as close as possible to where you work. Even just 15 minutes shaved off your commute each way saves 2.5 hours a week, or 5 days!!!!!!!!!! a year (assuming you work 48 weeks).   

Nah, school days were the best. No bills, nothing really that important to worry about. Your body recovered and healed quickly. More resilient. Better metabolism.

So carefree.

7 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I'm surprised you say you're tired... for doing basic IT work.

I guess you're just not used to it yet or you go to sleep way too late.

Mentally taxing activities can be just as physically tiring as physical activities. Sometimes doing nothing is the most draining of all.

6 hours ago, Tom is a Door said:

Ye but that's it? You become your job? 22 years of preparation for this?

What exactly were you expecting? Life is what you make of it, nothing more. If you're not willing to put in work to make it more exciting, you're going to be bored.

6 hours ago, Tom is a Door said:

Nah I don't make enough to eat around where I work. I bring food from home. Maybe because of commute time it's tiring but nonetheless very anticlimactic for what I was told be prepared for 22 years. Not looking forward to graduating

Honestly, probably better not to. You'll spend more money and get food that's likely worse for you.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

49 minutes ago, Tog Driver said:

If you don't mind my asking, what make/model of truck do you drive?

I have my own fleet. I myself drive a 2018 Western Star 5700xe. Most of my fleet are Kenworth T680 from 2014 to 2017 right now. I own 18 trucks total. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

53 minutes ago, Tog Driver said:

No, please no electric trucks.

I agree to a point. I think electric trucks for local routes aren't a bad idea. But for Long haul they make no sense at all. The infrastructure isn't built for electrics yet. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

32 minutes ago, Zusafek said:

I have my own fleet. I myself drive a 2018 Western Star 5700xe. Most of my fleet are Kenworth T680 from 2014 to 2017 right now. I own 18 trucks total. 

Personally I don't like such new trucks, newer then ~2000 is too new for my taste, but that's just me, but if it works, that's what's important.

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

1 hour ago, Tog Driver said:

Yes, instant full torque from 0rpm

and plentiful and cheap batteries!

11 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Yes, instant full torque from 0rpm

and plentiful and cheap batteries!

Okay, batteries, fine, that might be good. but I'm just not a fan of electric cars, Trucks would be even worse.

Just my opinion.

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

1 minute ago, Tog Driver said:

Okay, batteries, fine, that might be good. but I'm just not a fan of electric cars, Trucks would be even worse.

Just my opinion.

Just crank up the stereo with some loud engine noises!

People do do that, heck even Harley Davidson made an electric motorcycle and engineered it to make loud noises.

Just now, Canada EH said:

Just crank up the stereo with some loud engine noises!

People do do that, heck even Harley Davidson made an electric motorcycle and engineered it to make loud noises.

But you'd know all there really was a "whiiiiiirrrrrrrr" and you could feel it in the way it handled.

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

10 hours ago, Tom is a Door said:

I got myself an internship. As a computer information systems analyst. I pretty much do anything IT. 
From fixing people's outlook problems to setting up cisco routers, highest level of work I have done imo.
They are offering me full time for whenever I don't have school. Right now is winter break and I am doing 9-6. 

My question was that is this it? Like when you get older and become a real adult you just work 9-6/5. I came home tired
and watched netflix. You just crunch in 8/9 hours every day of the week? Feels really idk anti climactic?  

What exactly were you expecting lol? You're 22 right? Surely you had a reasonable guess to what work is like???

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

36 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

heck even Harley Davidson made an electric motorcycle and engineered it to make loud noises.

No they didn't lol.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

11 hours ago, Tom is a Door said:

Feels really idk anti climactic?  

Life is not a video game or a movie. But you can find a hobby or go out on the weekends to the mountains or the beach or something. Life is pretty much just one giant grind if you think about it.

One of my favorite quotes:

image.png.ceff32ffce1e88fb2fcf21f81d9d70e7.png

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

I think that there is fulfillment in taking responsibility at least to some degree. And like others have said, enjoying your hobbies/passions is important, entrepreneurship is a great option if your willing to do the work, maybe you could make your passion into a business! Being debt free is a great idea also, so you can use your hard earned money for what you want instead of sending it to the bank. At the end of the day life is what you make it, what are you going to do to find meaning and purpose? Because you will need it to brave the storms of life.

I personally hated working the 9-5 format, I was always looking at the clock counting the seconds until quitting time. So I could go home and "just live life and play video games."

I'm one of the lucky people who has a passion for their career, I'm an owner operator truck driver, so now instead of "just wanting to go home and live life" I get to live life every day out on the road.

Yes, that's pretty much life for a lot of people. You actually have it better than most.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

16 hours ago, Tog Driver said:

Is there some specific reason why you're "just not a fan" of electric cars and trucks?

14 hours ago, Tog Driver said:

Just my opinion.

Why would Trucks be even worse than Cars?

Please elaborate. For 99% of people who don't need to travel long distance regularly, EV's are fantastic already, assuming you're already buying a new vehicle (and there are really good deals on lightly used EV's starting to trickle into the used market).

The only main issue is a vehicle that needs to travel more than say 400 KM, non-stop. Most people only do this a few times per year (and in that case, they can rent a long distance vehicle).

Trucks would actually work very well as EV's, since the instant torque curve - you have kickass torque immediately, unlike with ICE vehicles.

Long Haul trucks, of course, would either need to be straight ICE, or ICE-Electric Hybrids. But for the thousands (hundreds of thousands? Millions?) of delivery trucks that are travelling short distances (Eg: from the local distribution hub to the local retail stores in a chain), EV trucks make a very very good proposition.

On top of that, you've got a few companies working on EV pickup trucks, which for most people, would be just as good in most areas (and far better in some areas) as their ICE trucks. Construction crews and general contractors may well find that EV's suit their needs perfectly as well.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

so that kind of commute definitely makes it hard to enjoy. As for whether that's "just life" not really. I have a 45 min commute and this is double the commute for my last job. with an 9-10 hr work day, I have plenty of time when i get home to relax, do things I love, spend that money.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Wait until you get to know, or rather see, some if the less desirable traits your fellow colleagues display. That meaningless attitude you feel, well some of your work mates will take it upon themselves to express to you how pointless it all is, how they hate their job, how everyone "sucks" but them.

Word from the wise, don't be like them. If you don't like it don't do it. Don't get involved in workplace politics, have a hobby outside of work and enjoy life. So many people live boring miserable lives and it comes across in their work life.

Life is what YOU make it. Nothing else or anyone else can do that for you, your attitude is entirely yours. Goodluck.

17 hours ago, Noctus said:

No they didn't lol.

It is a nice ride, I prefer silence, that is why I built my own e-motorcycle.

18 hours ago, Tog Driver said:

But you'd know all there really was a "whiiiiiirrrrrrrr" and you could feel it in the way it handled.

Well, there would be no noise at all, the only noise you'd hear is the wind. You'd feel instant, full torque from zero rpm.

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Is there some specific reason why you're "just not a fan" of electric cars and trucks?

Why would Trucks be even worse than Cars?

Spoiler

Please elaborate. For 99% of people who don't need to travel long distance regularly, EV's are fantastic already, assuming you're already buying a new vehicle (Which you shouldn't be -Tog Driver) (and there are really good deals on lightly used EV's starting to trickle into the used market).

The only main issue is a vehicle that needs to travel more than say 400 KM, non-stop. Most people only do this a few times per year (and in that case, they can rent a long distance vehicle).

Trucks would actually work very well as EV's, since the instant torque curve - you have kickass torque immediately, unlike with ICE vehicles.

Long Haul trucks, of course, would either need to be straight ICE, or ICE-Electric Hybrids. But for the thousands (hundreds of thousands? Millions?) of delivery trucks that are travelling short distances (Eg: from the local distribution hub to the local retail stores in a chain), EV trucks make a very very good proposition.

On top of that, you've got a few companies working on EV pickup trucks, which for most people, would be just as good in most areas (and far better in some areas) as their ICE trucks. Construction crews and general contractors may well find that EV's suit their needs perfectly as well.

(Don't expect this to at all answer your question, this is the way I see it and I doubt I will be able to give a good enough response that anyone can actually understand what I'm trying to say)

Electric vehicles may sound good on paper, but (In my opinion) Electric vehicles would take away a lot from the experience, instead of in the olden days with your horse (or something) being your friend and companion along the way, Electric vehicles are another step closer to Star Trek's "Transporters" instead of the journey being half the fun it's just "Okay, we're here now." with no thought at all as to how you get there. that is why I do not like Self Driving Vehicles.

And you now think I'm crazier then you probably already did.

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

21 hours ago, Noctus said:

What exactly were you expecting lol? You're 22 right? Surely you had a reasonable guess to what work is like???

I am 18. At 22 I will graduate and maybe enter work force

19 hours ago, PFTW1995 said:

I think that there is fulfillment in taking responsibility at least to some degree. And like others have said, enjoying your hobbies/passions is important, entrepreneurship is a great option if your willing to do the work, maybe you could make your passion into a business! Being debt free is a great idea also, so you can use your hard earned money for what you want instead of sending it to the bank. At the end of the day life is what you make it, what are you going to do to find meaning and purpose? Because you will need it to brave the storms of life.

I personally hated working the 9-5 format, I was always looking at the clock counting the seconds until quitting time. So I could go home and "just live life and play video games."

I'm one of the lucky people who has a passion for their career, I'm an owner operator truck driver, so now instead of "just wanting to go home and live life" I get to live life every day out on the road.

Jordan Peterson I hear

7 hours ago, campy said:

I still wake up on Wednesday at the start of the weeks run and go "just kill me"

I get to end my day with a desert sunrise each week. It makes it worth it for me.

Cool a night drive, that makes it even better.

Yeah it's still though for me to get of the couch and hit the road.