Phishing Emails - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tom is a Door

Is this it? This is life?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I got myself an internship. As a computer information systems analyst. I pretty much do anything IT. 
From fixing people's outlook problems to setting up cisco routers, highest level of work I have done imo.
They are offering me full time for whenever I don't have school. Right now is winter break and I am doing 9-6. 

My question was that is this it? Like when you get older and become a real adult you just work 9-6/5. I came home tired
and watched netflix. You just crunch in 8/9 hours every day of the week? Feels really idk anti climactic?  

tenor.gif.7aa9b5ac26dd6b726e2a049a675b5c84.gif

It's pronounced 'soh-z'

Read all of my product reviews here on the Linus Tech Tips forums

Main PC:

CPU: i5-8600K 4.7GHz Cooler: Arctic 33 eSports One Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P RAM: 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 GPU: Asus GTX 1060 3GB Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD PSU: Corsair CX450M Case: NZXT S340

Keyboard: Roccat Isku FX Mouse: Logitech G502 Monitor: LG 29WK600 Sound: Roccat Cross

Brother:

CPU: Ryzen 2200G 3.5GHz Cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4 RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper 4 DDR4-3000 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Storage: Integral V2 250GB SSD PSU: BQ PP 10 400W Case: DeepCool Frame

Keyboard: Redragon K552 Mouse: Corsair Glaive Monitor: AOC E2270SWHN + Acer KG221Q Sound: Earbuds

Asus ZenBook UX410-UA

CPU: i3-8130U 2.2GHz RAM: 4GB DDR4-2400 GPU: Intel UHD 620 Storage: 256GB SK Hynix M.2 SATA SSD Screen: 14" 1920x1080p IPS

Asus EeeBook X205-TA

CPU: Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz RAM: 2GB DDR3-2133 GPU: Intel HD Z3700 Storage: 32GB SanDisk SDW32G eMMC Screen: 11.6" 1366x768 TN

Depends on the path you choose. Many people work nine-to-five/six jobs and that might be the path you wind up down.

Avid Team Fortress 2 player || @handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Tyler :^)

Main rig:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, stock | CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 8G V1 | PSU: EVGA G3 550 | RAM: Patriot Viper 8GB DDR4 @2400MHz | Motherboard: ASRock AB350M | Case: Cooler Master N200 | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB SATA | HDD1: 750GB HGST 2.5" @ 5400rpm | HDD2: 2TB WD Blue 2.5" @ 5400rpm | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K65, Corsair Sabre RGB and Sony MDR-7506

Specs for secondary rig coming soon!

1 hour ago, Tom is a Door said:

I got myself an internship. As a computer information systems analyst. I pretty much do anything IT. 
From fixing people's outlook problems to setting up cisco routers, highest level of work I have done imo.
They are offering me full time for whenever I don't have school. Right now is winter break and I am doing 9-6. 

My question was that is this it? Like when you get older and become a real adult you just work 9-6/5. I came home tired
and watched netflix. You just crunch in 8/9 hours every day of the week? Feels really idk anti climactic?  

Here's the important question:

What would you prefer different?

For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

Yep, pretty much. People say your school days are the best days of your life, not because school days are great, but because work days are even shitter. Some people escape this fate and have a job they really enjoy, but most of us just live for the weekend.

Top tip, live as close as possible to where you work. Even just 15 minutes shaved off your commute each way saves 2.5 hours a week, or 5 days!!!!!!!!!! a year (assuming you work 48 weeks).   

just work 9-6/5

No.

† †    (Signature V2.0)

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.

If you want me to reply, tag me Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

9-5 is just a stereotype, how long do Truck Drivers work? Bus Drivers? Taxi drivers? How many shifts does an all night convenience store have? What about grocery stores? Department stores?

† †    (Signature V2.0)

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

tired

Perhaps instead of eating McDonalds and Wendys and Popeyes and KFC, if you eat fruits and crush some weights, you wont be tired.

AMD Ryzen 1600X with ASUS Prime x370 Pro and Corsair Vegence 2x8GB 3466 15cas, Corsair H100i liquid cpu cooler, Samsung EVO 500GB, 4TB 7200, Asus GRX 1080 8gb rog strix, Fractal Define R4 case, Corsair RM750x, 10Gbps

I'm surprised you say you're tired... for doing basic IT work.

I guess you're just not used to it yet or you go to sleep way too late.

CPU: Intel Core i7 875k / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB  / RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GBx2 DDR3-1600
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-e LX / SSD: Intel 520 120GB / Case: Cooler Master HAF912 / PSU: Corsair TX850w / OS: Windows 10 Pro

Posted · Original PosterOP
On 1/9/2019 at 1:32 PM, TetraSky said:

I'm surprised you say you're tired... for doing basic IT work.

I guess you're just not used to it yet or you go to sleep way too late.

Mostly because I have to travel to different office 15 min walking locations. Also commute is 3.5 hrs

On 1/9/2019 at 1:15 PM, Tog Driver said:

9-5 is just a stereotype, how long do Truck Drivers work? Bus Drivers? Taxi drivers? How many shifts does an all night convenience store have? What about grocery stores? Department stores?

Ye but that's it? You become your job? 22 years of preparation for this?

On 1/9/2019 at 1:19 PM, Canada EH said:

Perhaps instead of eating McDonalds and Wendys and Popeyes and KFC, if you eat fruits and crush some weights, you wont be tired.

Nah I don't make enough to eat around where I work. I bring food from home. Maybe because of commute time it's tiring but nonetheless very anticlimactic for what I was told be prepared for 22 years. Not looking forward to graduating

As long as they pay me more than 10k/mo for that kinda job I'd even feed the users fucking donuts into their mouths

hell I'd do it for just a grand too

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

yes.

Sometimes with extra hours and weekends 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, aezakmi said:

As long as they pay me more than 10k/mo

hah

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I'm a truck driver. I work around 14 hours a day according to my log book. On average I'm actually working 24 hours a day for 21 days at a time seeing as I sleep in the truck also. I don't have set shifts. I don't have access to most basic things normal people do. Been doing this for nearly 18 years now. If you enjoy your work it's not so bad. 

Oh and welcome to what the real world is. 

Current Build

I5 4460

Hyper Evo 212

Gigabyte Z87X-D3H

WD 1TB HDD

XFX RX 480 RS 4GB

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr3 1600 Patriot Ram

Mixture of Phanteks and Thermaltake Fans

Phanteks P400S

3 hours ago, Tom is a Door said:

You have evenings and weekends to make yourself something other than your job.

Or you need to change careers and do something more flexible that allows you to pursue other interests.

For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

I work longer hours than that and different shifts and still find time for other things too do. It's all about how you utilize your time.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 GPU: AMD MSI RX580 MB:ASUS TUF Gaming B450M-Plus RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock AMD SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Red Dragon Kumara

Linux Ubuntu Rig CPU: Intel i3 6100 GPU: N/A MB: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H RAM: Crucial Ballistix 1x8gb DDR4 2400MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: N/A (8GB USB drive used for OS) HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda/500GB Seagate Barracudax2 PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: Corsair Spec-01 KB: Cheap-o HP

MacBook Pro: Late 2016 with 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD, i5 CPU.

What you described is how work works. Some people are happy to just go to work and do their job and do what makes them happy in their own time. 

My advice to you is to ask yourself what do you want from your life. I will be 31 this year and I can tell you that unless you are one of those people who can seperate work and life. I say find out what you love to do and what you want to do with your life. 

Without money you can’t do anything, but you need a job to earn money. Your desired lifestyle will determine how much money you need to sustain yourself. 

Money requires work. 

There are are two types of workers. Those who are happy to work 40 or more hours a week for an employer and shut off completely when they go home. 

The second kind are the hard ones, they want to work but they want to come up with their own ideas, make their own decisions, be a part of something or even create something. 

That can be tough as an employee as often times all your boss wants you to do is come into work and do your designated job and that’s it, nothing more. 

In that case you have to start looking into self employment and finding a way to have your own business. 

6 hours ago, Tom is a Door said:

Depends who you are.  Anticlimactic is a choice.

I live for the 4 F's in no particular order:

Family

Food

Fighting

F******

Im 34 at the moment - Ive never felt more alive. 

So, whatever it takes to get there - if punching the clock 5 days a week (and I do that as well) is what it takes - that's EASY.

My PC: ASUS M5A99FX PRO r2.0, AMD FX-8350, 2x Gigabyte HD 7850 2gb in crossfire, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3, Corsair HX850 PSU, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm AIO cooler, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2x 340gb Seagate Mech Drives, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case with 14 fans total in the case (2x200mm, 4x90mm, 1x80mm, 4x120mm, 1x140mm, 2x40mm - 100% CPU and 2x 100% GPU's 1 hour torture test - 56c socket, 41c CPU, 60c GPU1, 50c GPU2 mmmmm temps - got timestamped screenshots to prove it)

Wifes PC: ASUS B350-PRIME, Ryzen 7 1700, XFX R7 260X 2gb GPU, 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper DDR4 2133, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 256gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, 640gb WD Blue 7200 RPM Mech drive, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 Case (7x120mm, 2x90mm fan setup)

Media Center: HP Pro 6300 MT, i5-3470, Sapphire HD 7750 1gb GPU, 8 gb (4x2) Gskill Ripjaws DDR3, Lite On 320w PSU, Stock HP Cooler, 60gb Patriot SSD boot drive, 1tb WD 7200 RPM Mechanical drive, 500gb Toshiba 7200 RPM Mech Drive with Win 7, Rosewill 4x External 1x Internal USB PCI hub, ASUS AC55BT wifi adapter, LG Blu Ray/M-Disc/DVD/CD Player/Burner, LG DVD/CD Player/Burner, 3.5" Media Card Reader

A couple laptops and tablets around the house

Such is life as an adult in the modern workforce.

I work as a desktop support tech on a variable shift, and while my shifts screw with my sleep patterns, I don't regret my choice in career paths, though there are times when I come home and I'm so wiped that I pass out. 

The thing that matters the most for quality of life and minimum stress is to minimize your debts. Not having to stress out about money and making payments takes a HUGE load off your shoulders and enables you to have fun with your money and life instead. I'm halfway done with paying off my student debt atm and I own a "hand me down" car that I owe nothing on, which cuts out two sources of debt so that I can channel that money instead into moving into a nice place in few months.

Being in a serious relationship with someone you have a lot in common with and reciprocates your feelings completely does a lot to improve your overall emotional and mental well-being too. You don't have to get married or have kids even. Just to be in a relationship like that is good enough (for me). Unfortunately I haven't achieved that mark yet...

I'm currently studying for my CySA certification as I hope to branch off into a career in cybersecurity at some point over the next couple of years. And that would bring a nice increase in pay and hopefully a more consistent work schedule.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - Dell S2716DGR 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

5 hours ago, Tom is a Door said:

Yeah, something like that, if you're not careful. you can try to find a job you like, and that way it doesn't feel like work.

† †    (Signature V2.0)

2 hours ago, Zusafek said:

I'm a truck driver. I work around 14 hours a day according to my log book. On average I'm actually working 24 hours a day for 21 days at a time seeing as I sleep in the truck also. I don't have set shifts. I don't have access to most basic things normal people do. Been doing this for nearly 18 years now. If you enjoy your work it's not so bad. 

Oh and welcome to what the real world is. 

That is too bad, even when your "down" your still on the clock, works out to very little hourly wage. Then the under cutting of all the "newcomers" in the business too. I really hope Tesla goes ahead with the plans to build an electric semi, gosh the market would be flooded with extra batteries!

AMD Ryzen 1600X with ASUS Prime x370 Pro and Corsair Vegence 2x8GB 3466 15cas, Corsair H100i liquid cpu cooler, Samsung EVO 500GB, 4TB 7200, Asus GRX 1080 8gb rog strix, Fractal Define R4 case, Corsair RM750x, 10Gbps

8 hours ago, Tom is a Door said:

The elite ruling class doesn't live like that. Only those who serve them. But either way, rich or poor, ruler or ruled, gettin old sucks.

2 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

The elite ruling class doesn't live like that. Only those who serve them. But either way, rich or poor, ruler or ruled, gettin old sucks.

Suckee or Sucker

or should it be Sucked or Sucker

Big Fish or Little Fish

22 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

That is too bad, even when your "down" your still on the clock, works out to very little hourly wage. Then the under cutting of all the "newcomers" in the business too. I really hope Tesla goes ahead with the plans to build an electric semi, gosh the market would be flooded with extra batteries!

No, please no electric trucks.

† †    (Signature V2.0)